• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robin Comes Out
2 2

186 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2021 at 11:15 PM, Coverless 9.8 said:

More like Thor during a Thunder Strike! :wink:

Thunderstrike is like Kang and he knew all that was to come. Pandemic preparedness.

ThunderstrikeHA.jpg.3024846e60b891b3e9c0daa288e19ce9.jpg

On 8/10/2021 at 10:26 PM, grendelbo said:

Thunderstrike is like Kang and he knew all that was to come. Pandemic preparedness.

ThunderstrikeHA.jpg.3024846e60b891b3e9c0daa288e19ce9.jpg

thunderstrike is Krang from Earth 3245

On 8/11/2021 at 1:09 AM, Larryw7 said:

I never liked the jokes and screw Wertham for.taking an innocent adventure comic and turning it into something dirty.

Wertham flipped the -script on everything when he published SOTI. Claimed to have spent 7 years on a detailed study of comics but mainly gives incomplete information. All he had to say was he disliked comic books. xD

Edited by Terry JSA

On 8/10/2021 at 11:41 PM, Terry JSA said:

Wertham flipped the --script on everything when he published SOTI. Claimed to have spent 7 years on a detailed study of comics but mainly gives incomplete information. All he had to say was he disliked comic books. xD

220px-Fredric_Wertham.png

1472801-fredric_wertham__3_.jpg

I'm sorry, but I'm disappointed in the attitude some of you are taking over this, especially those who can't distinguish gasay from bi. Bi erasure is a very real thing, so seeing a real bi character is a great feeling, a validation, I guess. But to have that undermined by my peers, my mates, is a bit upsetting. I just feel a strong kinship for them, thought I was bi when I was younger, turns out probably not, I'm straight and was just influenced by my surroundings at the time, but I still feel for the community, who do have it tougher than you'd think. 

Please just give this a chance. This shouldn't make much of a change at all. But I'll remember your hurtful comments and jibes about it. So please, be kind. 

On Wertham and the whole Bruce and Dickie thing, worth noting that (1) Wertham was right about Wonder Woman and the whole bondage thing and (2) he wasn't the first to make innuendos about Robin.  From 1950:

1827214440_IMG_1145(2).thumb.jpg.f5c2c0a2d352eee034dd352b344b8b12.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/10/2021 at 11:53 PM, Mecha_Fantastic said:

I'm sorry, but I'm disappointed in the attitude some of you are taking over this, especially those who can't distinguish gasay from bi. Bi erasure is a very real thing, so seeing a real bi character is a great feeling, a validation, I guess. But to have that undermined by my peers, my mates, is a bit upsetting. I just feel a strong kinship for them, thought I was bi when I was younger, turns out probably not, I'm straight and was just influenced by my surroundings at the time, but I still feel for the community, who do have it tougher than you'd think. 

Please just give this a chance. This shouldn't make much of a change at all. But I'll remember your hurtful comments and jibes about it. So please, be kind. 

Though straight, I've been close to the LGBTQ community since adolescence. My father is gay. 

I've experienced the ever-evolving and increasingly-inclusive integration of homosexuality and its relations into society. And I'm glad of it.

This post is news and it's relevant. It's topical and important in whatever way you view it - culturally or within our community. It matters when we talk about current writing, rehashing and retconning. It matters to the history of comicbooks and outsiders perspective of our hobby. It matters to the readers who will feel connection to the upcoming story and to those it will not.

Remember though, the board has fun. Give us a topic and we'll run with it. It will often look like the Keystone Cops.

Not one individual person of the LGBTQ community I've ever met has been incapable of humor and unable to poke a little fun at themselves and their sexuality. Not everyone is so secure with themselves, but self-depreciative jokes aid with attractiveness and inclusivity within a social setting. Isn't that what we're aiming for?

What we are doing here is not too far off. I've been around since the post started. We're being respectful and enlightening and funny and provoking and cool.

And we're mostly distracting @kav from Kang. 

On 8/10/2021 at 6:06 PM, Coverless 9.8 said:

Look, Batman!  It's the virtue signal!  (:

Plenty of prominent gay conservatives, even a very prominent gay white supremacist.  So having Tim Drake be a bi-sexual character isn't a liberal "virtue signal," it is just a reflection of real life.

I get that old guys (of which I'm one) sometimes get uncomfortable when they see changes to characters they first read about when they were kids. The introduction of versions of Spiderman who are latino or female etc. was controversial when it happened.  I remember the vitriol I'd read on comic boards about how Peter Parker was a white male so all Spiderman characters should be a white male. But you know what?  That Spiderman movie with all the many variations of the character that exist now was a contender for the best Spiderman movie ever.  The variations enhanced the character.  The guys claiming Miles Morales didn't "advance the character" look pretty foolish today.

No reason to be shocked or outraged that we have a bisexual Robin. No reason to call it a "lazy" move. All comic scripting is "lazy." They are stories that never end, and they tend to go from gimick to gimick (deaths, revivals, retcons, marriages that never stick due to "dream" treatment stories, costume changes, etc.) which almost never "advance the character" in any permanent way - especially in this modern era when creative teams don't last very long on a book.  

The fact that we've had Grayson, Jason Todd, this new kid, the girl in Miller's books, and even a "Roberta" in the GA running around in Robin costumes over the years tells you all you need to know about how irrelevant the notion of "advance the character" really is in the comic book world.  

Far better to sit back and see if the story ends up being entertaining than shaking the cane and shouting "not on my lawn!"  LoL!

On 8/11/2021 at 12:40 AM, sfcityduck said:

That Spiderman movie with all the many variations of the character that exist now was a contender for the best Spiderman movie ever.

absolutely.jpg.b8739a0ce0476edb9c9c82ef8f770e77.jpg

On 8/11/2021 at 12:40 AM, sfcityduck said:

prominent gay conservatives, even a very prominent gay white supremacist

I don't remember reading any derogatory or insulting language or insinuations until now.

Having fun surfing on the CGC board.