• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robin Comes Out
2 2

186 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2021 at 9:30 PM, grendelbo said:

So it was like changing something bwe all knew about a character into something different to boost sales and public exposure?

The characters are theirs to do with as they wish, obviously.  I stopped caring about the same time I stopped reading!  Coincidence?!  :wink:

On 8/10/2021 at 6:35 PM, djzombi said:

I understand and sympathize with that POV. 

His comment didn't seem to reflect that opinion. If so, it didn't come across that way to me at all. 

Then you lost me if thats what you thought.  

Edited by NewWorldOrder

I am really curious how they’m chose to tell this story. One thing I’ve learned a lot from is listening to LGBTQ+ folks telling their story in their own words. There are plenty of stories about folks who always knew their identity or grew into it later in life. There’s a way to do this well and a lot of creators out there doing an awesome job telling these kinds of story. I’ll be curious to hear how LGBTQ creators respond to this news and the story as it comes out. /pun intended 

On 8/10/2021 at 9:15 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Not at all.  I just see obvious and cheap tricks for what they are. (shrug)

Listen I am happy when I was younger I got to grow up first getting into comics back in the 1990's because since 2000-ish most comics are very forgettable and most of the overall creative talent has been bush-league at best besides a couple outliers.

Taking an already established character to fit some forced narrative is a cheap bush league move.

Todays creators lack the creative guts to create new characters, so since they lack talent they just pick a C-Level character out of a hat to rebrand.  I look down on people like that.  Have the guts to come up with something on your own.  That's a good narrative! 

Also know your audience!  

Batman fans are a certain demographic mainly, so trust me this will get the character less interest than more.  The Batman universe is about crime, action, and adventure not dating.  If the creators want to push that narrative then start with making a new comic with new characters that is about that then you will see zero problems.   Its makes more sense to turn Jughead gay than seeing Robin on a grinder date.

Everyone here is for fair and equal representation, but when its feel forced and cheap you will always have backlash.

take care

See, THIS I can understand. 

Your original comment didn't come across as communicating this, or if it was meant to, it was obfuscated by the incredibly crass tone.

On 8/10/2021 at 6:42 PM, djzombi said:

See, THIS I can understand. 

Your original comment didn't come across as communicating this, or if it was meant to, it was obfuscated by the incredibly crass tone.

I thought my OP was the cliff notes of this. 

I am a incredibly condescending person.  I tried not to be years ago, its didnt make me happy so I went back to my true self.  It makes me happy!

At least you joined the CGC boards on my birthday! :foryou:

On 8/10/2021 at 6:41 PM, stynxno said:

I am really curious how they’m chose to tell this story. One thing I’ve learned a lot from is listening to LGBTQ+ folks telling their story in their own words. There are plenty of stories about folks who always knew their identity or grew into it later in life. There’s a way to do this well and a lot of creators out there doing an awesome job telling these kinds of story. I’ll be curious to hear how LGBTQ creators respond to this news and the story as it comes out. /pun intended 

Well for sure the LGBTQ+ community is very happy, but being happy also doesn't mean DC will sell more copies of a comic book when their general demographic of the Batman universe is not LGBTQ+.

DC only cares about money so.......I think the math will show the real answer later on. 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 8/10/2021 at 9:21 PM, grendelbo said:

No, I responded to the infinite possiblities of Kang's sexuality.

And I did this while multitasking and making fajitas for my 75 year old, battling his second cancer, homosexual father.

Bless you.

I'm not a religious man, but bless you.  

F cancer. 

On 8/10/2021 at 7:18 PM, benny275 said:

I didn't think some of my first posts on this board would be diving into something like this, but here we are -

It's disappointing seeing all the comments calling this lazy and unnecessary when the comic hasn't even come out yet. None of us know how this will play out and whether we'll be beaten over the head with his sexuality. I realize comics aren't always known for their subtlety but why not give it a chance before tearing it apart?

On specific notes, it's amusing how in the comments we hear from some that no one cares about his sexuality when relationships and sexuality have been integral aspects of comic book storytelling for years. If you inherently don't care about his sexuality, why did you not inherently dismiss Lois Lane, Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane, Jane Foster, and so on? I get that not every relationship is interesting, but many of you seem to suggest that it's impossible for it to be a relationship you care about right out the gate (unless you're unable to care about non-heterosexual relationships at all, but no one has said that so I assume that's not the problem).

Regarding this being an existing character with documented relationships with women - I'll reiterate the point made that bisexuality doesn't preclude one from sex or relationships from any multitude of sexes and also point out that many people don't realize, embrace, or comprehend their sexuality until later in life. I didn't realize that I was bisexual until I was 42, so it's not always apparent from day one. It's not unrealistic to me, at least, that a previously heterosexual character would show no prior indications of bisexuality for the reader to pick up on.

Anyway, that's my .02. I hope none of this came across as casting aspersions on all your motives or suggesting that you're not arguing in good faith. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and to hopefully many fruitful comic-related discussions.

Well, welcome to the board! This is the best post in this entire thread. Thank you. 

On 8/10/2021 at 10:12 PM, Qalyar said:

I really like JMS as a writer but man this story (and the Goblin Babies one) are tough to love.

JMS has said he hated writing this and only did so under editorial edict. I got the impression Quesada pretty much wrote the whole thing, and JMS just provided dialog. He then quit. 

On 8/10/2021 at 7:36 PM, kav said:

This isnt our first rodeo.  These pandering stories are always flops.  If this is magically the first one that defies the record I will be the first one to eat my hat.

What do you mean by flops?