• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robin got a new rope
1 1

21 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2021 at 11:45 PM, catman76 said:

I guess Wertham was right.

He was definitely correct in his reading between the lines of Wonder Woman, and he wasn't alone in his view of Bruce and Dickie.  From 1950, firmly GA, when innuendos were common on comic covers:

383054488_IMG_1145(2).thumb.jpg.6c84e4879c8312a4100bc68cc4141e2b.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck

On 8/11/2021 at 2:47 AM, sfcityduck said:

He was definitely correct in his reading between the lines of Wonder Woman, and he wasn't alone in his view of Bruce and Dickie.  From 1950, firmly GA, when innuendos were common on comic covers:

383054488_IMG_1145(2).thumb.jpg.6c84e4879c8312a4100bc68cc4141e2b.jpg

I don't get it. My take is that Robin was kissed by a girl, and Supes and Bats are amused. Wertham was right about Wonder Woman because the creator and author was a psychologist who was into bondage and was a sexual libertine. I highly doubt Bob Kane, Bill Finger, or any of the other Batman creators had homosexuality in their minds when they came up with Robin. And it disgusts me even more because of.the difference in age between the two. Are you suggesting that this cover or other out of context. "jokes" from the GA and SA are implying that Batman is having a relationship with a 14 year old kid? Wertham had a filthy mind, I guess many others do too.

The demise of the last stand. Now they have also started to dissolve the dark Bat mythos. This po-mo wave will apparently not stop untill everything i can remember from my youth has been deconstructed, turned upside down, dissolved, re-constructed and de-mystified. We know this po mo wave to be relentless and it will never cease, untill also this mythos has been ‘modernized’ and made through and through political correct. Lol.

On 8/12/2021 at 12:58 PM, Mr bla bla said:

The demise of the last stand. Now they have also started to dissolve the dark Bat mythos. This po-mo wave will apparently not stop untill everything i can remember from my youth has been deconstructed, turned upside down, dissolved, re-constructed and de-mystified. We know this po mo wave to be relentless and it will never cease, untill also this mythos has been ‘modernized’ and made through and through political correct. Lol.

yup

On 8/12/2021 at 12:45 PM, comicdonna said:

The thread in comics general got out of hand and is locked.  If I see this thread headed the same way, it will suffer the same fate with possible warnings.  

Wish I would have seen that thread before they pulled it (no pun intended) 

On 8/12/2021 at 2:53 PM, Ryan. said:

There's no need to worry. These threads are always full of nuanced, multi-perspective, deeply considered analysis, and not grown men clutching their pearls because their childhood wasn't frozen in perfect suspended animation from when they were 12 years old. 

lol I am stealing this word for word for the GI Joe FB group once I am finished selling there.  Without using specific examples, they are 'deeply upset' that the GI Joe movies are not made in reflection of the exact writing and execution of the TV cartoon or Hama's comic book series.   

On 8/12/2021 at 2:58 PM, Buzzetta said:

lol I am stealing this word for word for the GI Joe FB group once I am finished selling there.  Without using specific examples, they are 'deeply upset' that the GI Joe movies are not made in reflection of the exact writing and execution of the TV cartoon or Hama's comic book series.   

Approved.

Personally, I don't care what they do with a Robin that I didn't even know was still around, but I do love throwing out a risqué joke at anyone's expense, including my own.

Tim Drake can be attracted to whoever they want. When reading comics I speed through the romantic stuff anyway, so whether it's Stephanie Brown or some guy, I don't care. 

But, I will be furious if they imply anything between him and Bruce. There's a mean spirited belief that homosexuality and pedophilia are linked. That's just not true.

On 8/12/2021 at 5:32 PM, D84 said:

Tim Drake can be attracted to whoever they want. When reading comics I speed through the romantic stuff anyway, so whether it's Stephanie Brown or some guy, I don't care. 

But, I will be furious if they imply anything between him and Bruce. There's a mean spirited belief that homosexuality and pedophilia are linked. That's just not true.

Doesn't seem like they're going that way, based on how the story was written. And I wouldn't expect it going forward, either.

On 8/12/2021 at 11:32 PM, D84 said:

Personally, I don't care what they do with a Robin that I didn't even know was still around, but I do love throwing out a risqué joke at anyone's expense, including my own.

Hard to see that your mentioned pedo-subtext shouldnt be implied, since they share the Wayne manor and Robin was takin in as minor.

Edited by Mr bla bla

On 8/13/2021 at 6:48 AM, Mr bla bla said:

Hard to see that your mentioned pedo-subtext shouldnt be implied, since they share the Wayne manor and Robin was takin in as minor.

Explain the inference. Thanks.