• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Things you hate but see all the time in comic art
1 1

103 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2021 at 9:43 PM, kav said:

look I can maybe understand the pants stretch but that dont explain why the shreds increase in size.

Screenshot 2021-08-12 6.42.25 PM.png

Screenshot 2021-08-12 6.42.33 PM.png

Or why they change color??

Banner to Hulk Transformation, in The Sean's Cory Hamscher Comic Art  Gallery Room

On 8/12/2021 at 6:47 PM, dupont2005 said:

I hate overly “posed” images. Hard to explain but it really turns me off when every image throughout the book looks like a pinup.

I also don’t like “as many characters as you can fit on a cover, all of them COMIN’ AT ‘CHA!”

two of my most hated!!  Thats why i love curt swan the master of the natural pose.  And why I hate jimlee who has no design sense just like puts a wad of superheroes on the cover!

On 8/12/2021 at 6:54 PM, dupont2005 said:

This reminds me of my Instagram feed 

mail.gif

On 8/12/2021 at 2:57 PM, grendelbo said:

I guess it's a love/hate relationship, but all the stacked women.

superheroines_most_common_power.webp.4b3fbfc35927496bbbeee8ad9a577311.webp

There are apparently no A, B, or C cup superheoines. lol 

On 8/13/2021 at 1:04 AM, grendelbo said:

ea9260bf976db4e1b42a5e780e0e4d0b.jpg.152a1e670afbfdba7cc15fe218496cb6.jpg

That must’ve needed a crateful of extra hold hair gel. 

Or, alternatively, using another film reference…

e152b60b5b39f95dbb220665a238c49f.jpg

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 8/13/2021 at 12:01 AM, kav said:

When a good artist gets demolished by a bad inker.  This was once George Perez art till inker Rico Rival destroyed it:

Screenshot 2021-08-12 3.59.19 PM.png

On 8/13/2021 at 2:45 AM, dupont2005 said:

I think this looks way better than the super hero stuff I’ve seen from him

Compared to some of the examples we’ve seen in this thread, this panel isn’t even close to being bad comic art.

It’s nice artwork, typical of what you’d get in Bronze Age Marvel magazines, and there’s nothing much wrong with it.

I hate it when artists feel the need to shadow the tip of the nose. Makes the character look like a cat. The tip of the nose is never shadowed like this. It’s one of the shiniest parts of the face. 

0CBE3A2D-EE3F-4D00-ADEC-611DE2924884.jpeg

On 8/13/2021 at 11:50 AM, kav said:

two of my most hated!!  Thats why i love curt swan the master of the natural pose.  And why I hate jimlee who has no design sense just like puts a wad of superheroes on the cover!

I disagree on Lee. Many of his covers are considered iconic to what is probably a younger, millennial age group, skewing older, to younger gen x. Thanks to the cartoon introducing his work to many of us, his work is well known, and beloved. So many people collect X-Men figures specifically focusing on getting together a Jim Lee team and reposing to make a Lee cover, it's pretty much a daily occurrence on Reddit. 

I believe he has design sense, then and now. Back then it was much more dynamic, now it's much more muted, reflecting the aging process perhaps? 

It feels like you can always tell how old an artist is based on the fashion choices their characters make. Many seem to remember what was popular when they were 22 and then never update the style. If your female characters are still wearing low-rise jeans, then I know you were in your 20s in 1999. 

The wall changing colors from panel to panel,i mran it would be great in reality -you push a button and the colur of the wall changes automatically im sure many wifes would love that technology lol but in comics its infuriating plus in the exemple the dot in the eyes of spidey i mean come on ....

b1e841b1d5467d2c2f29aefde444c48407-1962-amazing-fantasy-15.w426.jpg

SpiderMan_cover.jpg

On 8/13/2021 at 1:34 AM, Kerdese said:

I hate it when artists feel the need to shadow the tip of the nose. Makes the character look like a cat. The tip of the nose is never shadowed like this. It’s one of the shiniest parts of the face. 

0CBE3A2D-EE3F-4D00-ADEC-611DE2924884.jpeg

sunburn?  not sure.