• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Books Scuttled By Stan Lee
2 2

95 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, mattn792 said:

This falls on the owner who had the book signed and paid the extra $800 for “Flame on!”

Yeah, they do that, don't they? Neal Adams draws all over 9.6 examples of Bat 232 and Bat 227. Stan flung his signature everywhere and added globs of what I guess is supposed to be a spider on a Spiderman book. Someone paid them to do it, sure. It's too much to ask creators and artists not to doodle all over primo examples of key books. Why should they care? The end result is I see Stan Lee's awful signature on an FF#1 and Neal Adams' muscle memory cameos sprayed across a 9.6 Bat #251

On 8/16/2021 at 7:14 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I own 2 signature series books, they're posted below. The Puppeteer Lee Death Metal #1 is in my top 5 favorite books I own. But neither book is a key by any means. To each their own - collect what you love obviously. But I can't help but cringe a little when I see a key or a mega-key book in a signature series. It just hurts my soul a little...

IMG_1968.thumb.JPG.6e0a77da3e02ccc041cbf9d1582bc178.JPG

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.6aa799740e801c708d3e9f2c8f97a150.jpg

go ahead and get youngblood #1 signed.  AF 15 NOPE

On 8/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I own 2 signature series books, they're posted below. The Puppeteer Lee Death Metal #1 is in my top 5 favorite books I own. But neither book is a key by any means. To each their own - collect what you love obviously. But I can't help but cringe a little when I see a key or a mega-key book in a signature series. It just hurts my soul a little...

IMG_1968.thumb.JPG.6e0a77da3e02ccc041cbf9d1582bc178.JPG

IMG_0007.thumb.jpg.6aa799740e801c708d3e9f2c8f97a150.jpg

You hit it on the head. I have many SS books. I like a well place signature. Not on keys, though. Especially high grade keys. Most specifically Golden Age books. They should be left alone. People are going to do what they are going to do, though.

There was a Bat #227 in 9.6 that was for sale forever with a Bat cameo, a bat in the moon and a sig. It finally sold for around 9.5k. Now, the new buyer is trying to sell it for $15k. Good luck. It sat for over 2 years with an ask of $10k.

I realize it's money to these guys. They will sign anything shoved under their noses at a con or LCS for a fee. But I see Stan Lee sigs everywhere. They even did a Big Bang Theory episode with that theme as its centerpiece.

I just wonder if he ever hesitated for a moment and asked the doof who was thrusting a 9.4 silver age key book at him to vandalize and asked "Son? Are you SURE? This is a very nice copy."

At the end of the day, I don't see the dolt who paid $1,000 bucks. I see the ill placed sig and a terrible cameo drawn onto a low pop high grade key. And I'll never be in that position but if I were, I'm pretty sure I would refuse. "Nah. Not going to scrawl my name in Sharpie no less on a 9.8 Captain America #100. Nope."

On 8/16/2021 at 9:31 PM, Randall Ries said:

You hit it on the head. I have many SS books. I like a well place signature. Not on keys, though. Especially high grade keys. Most specifically Golden Age books. They should be left alone. People are going to do what they are going to do, though.

There was a Bat #227 in 9.6 that was for sale forever with a Bat cameo, a bat in the moon and a sig. It finally sold for around 9.5k. Now, the new buyer is trying to sell it for $15k. Good luck. It sat for over 2 years with an ask of $10k.

I realize it's money to these guys. They will sign anything shoved under their noses at a con or LCS for a fee. But I see Stan Lee sigs everywhere. They even did a Big Bang Theory episode with that theme as its centerpiece.

I just wonder if he ever hesitated for a moment and asked the doof who was thrusting a 9.4 silver age key book at him to vandalize and asked "Son? Are you SURE? This is a very nice copy."

At the end of the day, I don't see the dolt who paid $1,000 bucks. I see the ill placed sig and a terrible cameo drawn onto a low pop high grade key. And I'll never be in that position but if I were, I'm pretty sure I would refuse. "Nah. Not going to scrawl my name in Sharpie no less on a 9.8 Captain America #100. Nope."

100%. Maybe if I had a Batman 251 (for argument's sake) that I was the original owner, it was beat to bits from me reading it all the time since I was a kid, and it was my own, never going anywhere copy that was a 2.0 or whatever, MAYBE then I'd have Neal sign it because it meant so much to me. But that's the only case I can think of personally. Now, I don't own a ton of raw keys to be in that position. But I do own, for example, a really, really nice copy of the first print of Rage by Richard Bachman (Stephen King). I'm a huge King fan. But there is no way I would get that book signed. It's honestly in that nice of condition that I feel like it'd be ruining what is a nearly pristine copy of an already scarce book. Like it does a disservice to future collectors or those who wish they had an unblemished copy, regardless of if it's the author's autograph.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 8/16/2021 at 9:37 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

100%. Maybe if I had a Batman 251 (for argument's sake) that I was the original owner, it was beat to bits from me reading it all the time since I was a kid, and it was my own, never going anywhere copy that was a 2.0 or whatever, MAYBE then I'd have Neal sign it because it meant so much to me. But that's the only case I can think of personally. Now, I don't own a ton of raw keys to be in that position. But I do own, for example, a really, really nice copy of the first print of Rage by Richard Bachman (Stephen King). I'm a huge King fan. But there is no way I would get that book signed. It's honestly in that nice of condition that I feel like it'd be ruining what is a nearly pristine copy of an already scarce book. Like it does a disservice to future collectors or those who wish they had an unblemished copy, regardless of if it's the author's autograph.

The Bachman Books are a great read.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:37 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

3971293_Full_Obv.jpg

3971287_Full_Obv.jpg

I've seen sharpie turn brown over the years-its not an ideal choice for sigs in my opinion.

On 8/16/2021 at 9:50 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I'm way more cool with these since they seem to fit my weird scenario I posted... xD

I also have bats 244 and tec 395 that I'd be tempted to sub as well.

I also have VF blue labels of all 4 books, these are just my reader copies :)

On 8/16/2021 at 9:53 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I also have bats 244 and tec 395 that I'd be tempted to sub as well.

I also have VF blue labels of all 4 books, these are just my reader copies :)

Those are awesome, and it's my one caveat in my weird personal "rules" - I love that they're low grade readers that are signed. There's actually a 244 on eBay that Neal drew extra bats all over - I think it's a 6.5 (too lazy to check right now), but I remember it looking kind of cool with the extra bats. But I think the asking price was pretty high, and the extra bats didn't justify the price for me. xD I'm guessing it's too high for others too; I feel like it's been on eBay for a long time.

Edit to add: Found it, it's a 7.0. I guess I don't really love what he did in the moon though (I think it's supposed to be Batman kissing Talia?): https://www.ebay.com/itm/154304042985?hash=item23ed3cd7e9:g:2kEAAOSwULZgDEBu

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 8/16/2021 at 9:57 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

Those are awesome, and it's my one caveat in my weird personal "rules" - I love that they're low grade readers that are signed. There's actually a 244 on eBay that Neal drew extra bats all over - I think it's a 6.5 (too lazy to check right now), but I remember it looking kind of cool with the extra bats. But I think the asking price was pretty high, and the extra bats didn't justify the price for me. xD I'm guessing it's too high for others too; I feel like it's been on eBay for a long time.

Yes understandable. I bought these raw for at most $30 a piece. When attempting this it still takes wisdom and patience to pick copies lol

But really I'm happy! The most I have in is $250 for each slab, so "if" they were to be sold, a mere sale for $300 on Ebay to break even.

Now given your "rules" do you think they'd sell? That's "a" reason why some do higher grade. For neal Adam's books at least, the lower grades havent been worth subbing long if at all. So, if you commit, nows the time :foryou: