• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Regret In The Hobby
1 1

56 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 8:42 PM, JollyComics said:

The future is unpredictable and it's always that way.

At least, I have enjoyed my life. That is what it's important.

And you picked up a few great war comics along the way 

On 8/19/2021 at 3:52 PM, Roger66 said:

Someone (not me) once wrote that the difference in time between 1940 to 1980 is the same as from 1980 to 2020.  It hit me hard because in 1980 I was a teen-ager and 1940 at that time felt ancient as in history class-WW2/FDR and pre-moon landing ancient.  Thus it was really only a matter of time before golden-age, silver-age and early bronze-age comics became truly vintage and more valuable investments - sort of like a fine wine reaching a peak.  If you love this hobby for the pure read and enjoyment - stick to hit - :foryou:  IF you want to be in this hobby for making wise investments, flipping and speculating AND you are starting off now - IMO - you missed the boat big time :pullhair:.  My lousy 2 cents :preach:

Pulps on the other hand... hm

My regret is being born in 89 instead of 59. But alas, I will tell people to never regret a sale. Sure it sucks when a book you sell for $50 sells for $200 less than a year later. Focus on what you used that $50 to grab and add to your collection 

Example: I sold a book for $150 to help buy a copy of ASM 6 for $400. The $150 book is now worth around $400. Rats.

Buttttt the $400 ASM 6 is now worth around $800 so you can see why one should never regret a sale, especially if you are using comic sales to find the hobby :)

On 8/19/2021 at 9:26 PM, Dr Zen said:

I regret not buy original art when you could get a page for ~ $20.00. It's way too expensive for me now.

One thing I always say is part of the fun in this hobby is “the hunt”. There are still amazing finds out there if you get a chance to look and are there when the timing is right. About a month ago, there were 2 sketches of Spawn done by Dave Sim that sold for around $20 a piece. I had dropped an early bid just to get the notification when they were ending but regretfully, I missed them both. I was still happy to see that they’d been won for a song and this is just one example of a ton of steals that have come and gone in recent months. 
  I know it’s not the same as landing that awesome Buscema splash page but sometimes we just take what we can get. 

Edited by B2D327

On 8/19/2021 at 5:18 PM, grendelbo said:

A few I can immediately think of:

1. Dumping too many comicbooks as drek 10 years or so ago. Basically gave away a few good Copper/Modern issues like NM98 and many title runs.

2. Many of us remember Bronze books in the $1 bin and there are a few I passed on that are now significant. She-Hulk 1 comes to mind.

3. Passing on an ASM1 when I was 15. I had the $100 but I was saving for a small black & white TV/radio combo to go in my bedroom.

4. Should have gotten more ECs in the 90s.

5. Never got into GA and now I'll only cover-gaze.

EC’s were expensive in the 70’s and 80’s!  Early Fantastic Four have eclipsed them!  It’s all about time and being happy with what you have. All those EC books have high grade reprints and anthologies that are very enjoyable. I love them

Regret is probably too strong a word, but I do wish I focused on getting higher graded keys years ago. 

I've always collected what I've loved and I have no regrets about that.  In doing so, have many great books that may very well be handed down to my children. With that said, I think the time and energy I put into chasing down runs from my childhood (in the early 2000s I completed a Punisher War Journal run for example). And I imagine if I put that much energy into getting a nice AF15 back when that could be done for 4 figures, I would probably be much happier today.... 

Of course the truth is, had I done just that, I would probably be sitting here complaining I didn't get a higher graded..  or put the money into a Batman 1....  Maybe part of collecting is never totally being satisfied even when you tell yourself you will be. 

I regret selling:

2 Hulk 181's

1 Hulk 180

1 (9.6) Giant Size X-men 1

1 (9.4) Captain America 100

I regret not buying:

10 copies of Star Wars 107 off the shelf at 20% off cover price

1 copy of Amazing Spiderman 298 on a Seven Eleven spinner wrack after being attracted by the cover

But, you have to happy with your winners. No matter how well you do/did...you will always have some regrets.

On 8/19/2021 at 5:42 PM, JollyComics said:

The future is unpredictable and it's always that way.

At least, I have enjoyed my life. That is what it's important.

I have enjoyed your life too! (thumbsu

On 8/19/2021 at 5:55 PM, Namtak said:

I disagree passion is everything in collecting,even if you dont reach your goal,passion is what really matter.

gotta agree with ya on that (thumbsuthe flame of passion burns brightly 

Edited by bob jr

On 8/19/2021 at 6:52 PM, Roger66 said:

Someone (not me) once wrote that the difference in time between 1940 to 1980 is the same as from 1980 to 2020.  It hit me hard because in 1980 I was a teen-ager and 1940 at that time felt ancient as in history class-WW2/FDR and pre-moon landing ancient.  Thus it was really only a matter of time before golden-age, silver-age and early bronze-age comics became truly vintage and more valuable investments - sort of like a fine wine reaching a peak.  If you love this hobby for the pure read and enjoyment - stick to hit - :foryou:  IF you want to be in this hobby for making wise investments, flipping and speculating AND you are starting off now - IMO - you missed the boat big time :pullhair:.  My lousy 2 cents :preach:

Nah. Never too late. There will always be good deals out there. Just need to educate yourself and make smart purchases.  Those can be flipped to make the next bigger purchase. No different than 20 or 40 years ago, other than now it will take more flips to get those grails because of how valuable they've become. 

On 8/19/2021 at 6:27 PM, B2D327 said:

Better late than never. (thumbsu

Books were much cheaper in the 80s and 90s, but it was very hard to find the really good stuff unless you had inside connections or went to national conventions.

It's much easier to find stuff now even though you'll pay through the nose.