• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Ebay Scam
1 1

71 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2021 at 9:12 PM, kav said:
On 8/20/2021 at 9:06 PM, greggy said:

That's what she said. 

when?

:bump:

I do not find it appropriate it to be talking about 'the gift that keeps on giving' followed by multiple 'bumps'. 

Have you no shame?! :flamed:

On 8/21/2021 at 12:25 AM, Tafkap said:

Don't take offers.  I just don't believe in it.  We have the product.  We price it.  Take it or leave it. 

Just like I don't think I'll do another regular auction.  With a few exceptions, auctions almost always produce lower prices compared to what people are buying it for with "buy it now."  

In my opinion and experience, starting a bidding at .99 always ends up going for more than a BIN price 

On 8/20/2021 at 11:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

This happens very frequently.  Happened last week on a $35 + shipping item in a Facebook group.  (Not the GI Joe groups thankfully)

They claimed it so I told others it was no longer available.  As I am giving her and her fiance payment option they asked if I would do $30 + shipping.   Said, 'no' and that they already claimed it.  The couple / person responding said that they thought it was only worth $30.  Then they said they couldn't afford it and would have to wait until next payday to pay the $35. 

I was a jerk 

Now I am keeping it.  It was a message from the collecting gods.  Screw this person and now no one gets it. 

If someone has to wait untill payday to buy a $35.00 item, block them.....

On 8/20/2021 at 11:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

This happens very frequently.  Happened last week on a $35 + shipping item in a Facebook group.  (Not the GI Joe groups thankfully)

They claimed it so I told others it was no longer available.  As I am giving her and her fiance payment option they asked if I would do $30 + shipping.   Said, 'no' and that they already claimed it.  The couple / person responding said that they thought it was only worth $30.  Then they said they couldn't afford it and would have to wait until next payday to pay the $35. 

I was a jerk 

Now I am keeping it.  It was a message from the collecting gods.  Screw this person and now no one gets it. 

If someone has to wait until payday to buy a $35.00 item, block them ...

On 8/20/2021 at 11:52 PM, The lips said:

In my opinion and experience, starting a bidding at .99 always ends up going for more than a BIN price 

I've noticed that CERTAIN sellers do very well selling things at auction.

I tried some .99 starting auctions and none of mine performed as well as Buy It Now would have.

But, of course, there are a lot of variables.

But, I believe, overall Buy It Now does better in most situations.  

On 8/21/2021 at 2:11 AM, lostboys said:

You can kinda do both. You can start the auction at your BIN price and possibly still get a couple buyers fighting over it. If it doesn't sell, the auction just starts again. 

I've followed a lot of sellers with high starting prices.  I've done some myself also.

A lot of times they get no offers while a Buy It Now for the same item at a higher price will sell.

I've noticed this quite a bit.

I think auctions that start at .99 do better, overall, than the ones with a high start  price.  Of course, I think, Buy It Now is usually the best way to go.  

On 8/21/2021 at 6:39 AM, Bob Troub said:

If someone has to wait untill payday to buy a $35.00 item, block them.....

It gets more pathetic. 

This was two weeks ago.  I had subsequent inquiries to see if this was available and I had to turn them away because this guy 'claimed it'.  

Screen Shot 2021-08-21 at 10.04.06 PM.png

That's particularly low abusing a handshake deal, which they all should be, but one particularly spelled out. Disgraceful. 

On 8/20/2021 at 10:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

I was a jerk 

1. Doesn't matter what they feel it is worth, your item, your price.

2. I agree with others, if they cannot afford the extra $5...... "nothing to see here, move along"

3. You are not being a jerk but not selling your own item because you are standing by your prices and your ethics.

Just my 2 cents. :)

Update!  Well the Scammer won! 

I thought there was something weird when my ROM sold in mere minutes after cancelling the first order.  So the "next" person gets it, says there's a defect and wants $40 refund! 

I knew something was off when both sellers had very similar handles and the same first name.

I sent the refund because I didn't want to go through the hassle of a return and it being damaged.  

He won!

Now I see they are in fact the very same person!  I wish Ebay had a function where I could've seen the name before!

Scott McKirgan is his name.  How many Ebay handles does he have??

Edited by Tafkap

On 8/25/2021 at 11:54 AM, Tafkap said:

I thought there was something weird when my ROM sold in mere minutes after cancelling the first order.  So the "next" person gets it, says there's a defect and wants $40 refund! 

I knew something was off when both sellers had very similar handles and the same first name.

I sent the refund because I didn't want to go through the hassle of a return and it being damaged.  

He won!

Now I see they are in fact the very same person!  I wish Ebay had a function where I could've seen the name before!

Scott McKirgan is his name.  How many Ebay handles does he 

Just went through something similar.  I ripped Ebay as I reported each of the scammer’s new handles.   

I tried to explain to them that’s a big flaw in the system and that they should take steps to prevent multiple IDs.  At least prevent making several IDs within a week.  As usual my advice fell on deaf ears. 

On 8/25/2021 at 11:54 AM, Tafkap said:

He won!

Scott McKirgan is his name.  How many Ebay handles does he have??

Ebay sucks.  Stop using them