• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
7 7

428 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2024 at 12:22 PM, Darwination said:

It's very interesting how some issues have caught fire like this one and some FFMs mentioned on another thread.  I almost think their (relative) commonness (is that even a word, geez) kind of helps some of these covers out that way since people can actually get their hands on them? I don't think there will ever be a few hundred in the census, but maybe I'm totally clueless :D  I'm pretty sure there's a whole generation of pulp collectors (perhaps a small grop) that is just sitting on full runs or something like it of many of the SF/Fantasy titles (not that pulp collectors have typically been nuts about high grade but there are some).  Something like Astounding was a title a collector of modest means and patience could put together a full run of.  Weird Tales being a title that a collector of greater means could put together.  Putting together DFW or Adventure or something like that is a much more daunting task, as many of the issues just don't seem to be around (and an earlier timeframe for some of the issues).

All good thoughts here. Me, I'm really glad there are great books like the FFMs with better covers that are still available and relatively affordable. I dig the covers and it's been rewarding to land them when I can.

As I continue to delve into e.g. 1930s and 40s weird menace books, it's clear that some issues I would love either 1) are literally not available at all in any condition, or 2) are available but are sitting in ebay stores and MCS with outlandish four-figure pricetags, collecting digital dust. I of course understand that sometimes you need to go big for rare books or go without. But it's not that hard to compare the store prices to Heritage sales from the last year or two to see why (some of them, at least) are sitting.

On 5/11/2024 at 4:21 PM, Point Five said:

All good thoughts here. Me, I'm really glad there are great books like the FFMs with better covers that are still available and relatively affordable. I dig the covers and it's been rewarding to land them when I can.

As I continue to delve into e.g. 1930s and 40s weird menace books, it's clear that some issues I would love either 1) are literally not available at all in any condition, or 2) are available but are sitting in ebay stores and MCS with outlandish four-figure pricetags, collecting digital dust. I of course understand that sometimes you need to go big for rare books or go without. But it's not that hard to compare the store prices to Heritage sales from the last year or two to see why (some of them, at least) are sitting.

...this is not directed at you, specifically, Jon ... but sometimes we collectors can be too frugal for our own good. We bristle at spending an additional $50 on something we really want, only to spend $50 worth of time in the future, lamenting our indecisiveness. I speak from experience. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

MEME SPHINX.jpg

I bet Weird Menace sees lots of grading.  It's a cover-centric area, lots of comics fans already dabble (natural crossover with PCH - you sickos :P), and it "might" be an area where some assurances are warranted about condition as far as throwing down big chunks of cash.

On 5/9/2024 at 7:18 PM, Darwination said:

The Super Science Fiction 18 digest lot that hit 1800 was somewhat remarkable.

This.  Sure it's the whole run, but $100 each on this kind of raw?

And that's average VF according  to HA.  Here's a shot of 10 of them - how unbelievable near minty would the 8 not pictured be in order to average VF?

Super-Science Fiction Complete Series Group of 18 (Headline Publications, 1956-59) Condition: Average VF.... (Total: 18 Items)

Totally missed Sunday's pulps (and apparently so did everybody else based on some of the low, low prices).  I think this is a most excellent cover, as it still managed to grab $312 at 2.0 with slightly brittle pages:

DimeDetective1932-05coverWilliamReusswig(2.0GCCHA).thumb.jpg.b863da655ee85b9c6b133e266932c1fd.jpg

Thought I'd seen a comp in the last couple years, but apparently not at Heritage, and I don't have a good image in my files, so maybe I'm slippin'.  Fridge magnets and posters do turn up at eBay, though, so somebody else recognizes a good cover :dollars:

On 5/13/2024 at 9:23 PM, Darwination said:

Totally missed Sunday's pulps (and apparently so did everybody else based on some of the low, low prices).  I think this is a most excellent cover, as it still managed to grab $312 at 2.0 with slightly brittle pages:

DimeDetective1932-05coverWilliamReusswig(2.0GCCHA).thumb.jpg.b863da655ee85b9c6b133e266932c1fd.jpg

Thought I'd seen a comp in the last couple years, but apparently not at Heritage, and I don't have a good image in my files, so maybe I'm slippin'.  Fridge magnets and posters do turn up at eBay, though, so somebody else recognizes a good cover :dollars:

That one caught my eye too! The vibrant blue background is unusual on a Dime Detective, and quite snazzy.

The dude looking directly into the skull with the moon in the background? And he's not terrified but defiant. So good.  I'm not normally crazy into the skulls, either, but do like the Horatio with skull sort of dialogue going on here.

On 5/13/2024 at 9:23 PM, Darwination said:

The captain satans went cheap too it seems.

On 5/13/2024 at 6:23 PM, Darwination said:

Skeletons and Skulls on pulps are screaming hot right now! 

On 5/11/2024 at 3:06 PM, Dr. Love said:

This.  Sure it's the whole run, but $100 each on this kind of raw?

And that's average VF according  to HA.  Here's a shot of 10 of them - how unbelievable near minty would the 8 not pictured be in order to average VF?

Super-Science Fiction Complete Series Group of 18 (Headline Publications, 1956-59) Condition: Average VF.... (Total: 18 Items)

Yea, I was scratching my head on this final price, makes no sense. Auction fever? two bidders fighting it out till the end.

On 5/18/2024 at 2:11 PM, Darwination said:

A selection from this weekend's Heritage auction.  For the life of me I don't know why you'd submit these for grading :o

Screenshot(233).thumb.png.668b7559a05bfe3e49dafb8a16bf0a0b.png

Because CGC IS GRADING PULPS, DAMMIT!! You can either climb aboard the money train or get left behind!!

I've got a really lousy selection of pulp stock at the moment, and I still probably have all of those issues stuffed down in the basement in better grade than that... because, at least in the past, they were more trouble to bag and price than they were worth, esp. if less than 5.0 or 6.0.  (shrug)

Posted (edited)

I guess I should have picked up a copy of this one earlier.

Screenshot(234).thumb.png.f94ba461d219a229ab40773aa2469ad4.png

I'm a huge Bergey fan but not exactly a fan of his Bug Eyed Monster and raygun stuff, but I do want this girlie in my collection.

This was the interesting issue in the auction for me, though, "batman prototype" sort of cover with Mary Roberts Rinehart

EverybodysMagazine1917-03coverEverettShinn(HACGC4.0).thumb.jpg.62a72774c66157cd043d2f6344c825df.jpg

Some low (to my eyes) prices for weird menace tonight, getting dinged for resto?  Sure looks like that's happening to me.  If so, there could be a world of hurt going on amongst the collectors that have been paying dearly for those and the Spicy lines (I'm assuming these are the same group of collectors...)  Maybe it was just a quiet Sunday night zzz

A bit of resto or no, 90 bucks seems like quite a deal for this one:

30316189%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

It'll probably show up cracked out and priced at 500 bucks on eBay in the next week or so :D

Edited by Darwination

On 5/19/2024 at 9:46 PM, Darwination said:

I guess I should have picked up a copy of this one earlier.

Screenshot(234).thumb.png.f94ba461d219a229ab40773aa2469ad4.png

I'm a huge Bergey fan but not exactly a fan of his Bug Eyed Monster and raygun stuff, but I do want this girlie in my collection.

This was the interesting issue in the auction for me, though, "batman prototype" sort of cover with Mary Roberts Rinehart

EverybodysMagazine1917-03coverEverettShinn(HACGC4.0).thumb.jpg.62a72774c66157cd043d2f6344c825df.jpg

Some low (to my eyes) prices for weird menace tonight, getting dinged for resto?  Sure looks like that's happening to me.  If so, there could be a world of hurt going on amongst the collectors that have been paying dearly for those and the Spicy lines (I'm assuming these are the same group of collectors...)  Maybe it was just a quiet Sunday night zzz

It'll probably show up cracked out and priced at 500 bucks on eBay in the next week or so :D

The auction alert hit my phone but I was driving :( I would have bid higher on that, I've been eyeballing a less nice copy of that dime mystery from Dave smith for ages. 

On 5/20/2024 at 12:46 AM, Darwination said:

I was watching all of these, and decided last minute that most of the cheaper covers were kind of lackluster by Dime Mystery standards and decided to take a pass. You're right though, the one you flagged here was nice! Should've hit it.

On 5/18/2024 at 11:11 AM, Darwination said:

A selection from this weekend's Heritage auction.  For the life of me I don't know why you'd submit these for grading :o

Screenshot(233).thumb.png.668b7559a05bfe3e49dafb8a16bf0a0b.png

I agree. For $65. Grading fees, there are so many better ones to waste your money on. I feel the same way about low grade GA or modern comic books. 

On 5/20/2024 at 3:45 AM, comicjack said:

Don't get me wrong it is a cool cover but being the cover photo of the pulp guide is the main reason

image.thumb.jpeg.135574d03759568085de995e9c9970b2.jpeg

I agree. A very common issue. I have had numerous copies of it. Last one I sold at around $50. Thought I was doing well…:roflmao: