• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pulp sales discussion thread
6 6

369 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2023 at 7:17 PM, waaaghboss said:

After these auctions I like looking around to see if similar books are for sale elsewhere.  

Not the biggest fish, but mcs has a nicer copy for $86.

Screenshot_20231109_191702.thumb.jpg.cddbf24d2542ae34dda4618b0d544682.jpg

I missed when you first posted this, my reaction on first seeing this book on the forums a while ago was "It's the Nancy Drew/ Shadow crossover I never knew I wanted!"

The copy at MCS is gone now. :shiftyeyes:

On 11/16/2023 at 9:31 PM, PopKulture said:

It’s rare and esoteric, but that sort of price defies my logic.  (shrug)

Logic is dead with some flippers or should i say collectors 

On 11/16/2023 at 9:17 PM, Darwination said:

I've never quite understood the fascination with this issue :D

It is certainly quite rare... but so are many other pulp issues.  I've always felt the art was particularly awful on this issue.  When I first saw it many years ago, I had to stare at it awhile to figure out exactly what was going on (the human figure kind of merges into the ape in an awkward manner).

[Also I tried some balloon juice the other day, and must admit I didn't care for that either.]

Edited by Bookery

On 11/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, Darwination said:

I saw a BIN pop up on eBay today for the issue, saw the bright color and was like what the?

Screenshot(132).thumb.png.d5548139811a487f46aec30b0ddbb9b0.png

A pulp replica for $250, no thank you :kidaround:

I like the reprinting making the books more available,  but that price is hilarious.  

Here are a couple of jungle reprints resting on a normal pulp I picked up a while ago online for pretty cheap.  Didn't realize that they were midget-sized though 🤔 

20231120_114536.thumb.jpg.79edec6f13c6c0808cf92811041df834.jpg

Edited by waaaghboss

On 11/20/2023 at 5:41 PM, Darwination said:

Those small ones are a little chintzy, and they even trimmed the covers for you

And like these 5x7" Jim Hanos/Athenian Reader reprints they only reprint part of the pulp

image.png.152ef39cc32f5b7d799f2a310b465efe.png

On 11/24/2023 at 3:39 AM, waaaghboss said:

Adventure House is doing a black friday sale, 15% off orders, free shipping for orders over $30.  Some fun books like this LOC copy of civil war stories.

1.thumb.jpg.3bb36eec05a85f7e615045099e6cf345.jpg

I like Adventure House and think the prices are usually very reasonable.  The website, like the the websites for at least a few of the old school dealers I can think of, needs a remodel :kidaround:

The LOC converted (almost) all their pulps to microfilm (in the 90s maybe?) but did keep at least some covers (not sure about the extent of those holdings).

I've seen stamps "in the wild" before and have a few but not just on pulps but other mags as well. I don't know quite how they end up outside, but I think the LOC will donate surplus copies to other libraries or institutions (versus selling anything).