• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM ASM 361- grade is in.
4 4

53 posts in this topic

I've been wondering about an in-house bump. I'm prone to believe a book will get a bump from a CCS C&P. A bump because you're using Matt Nelson's old company. I'm beginning to believe giving CGC a book to sign will benefit it's grade as well.

I really think it all has to do with the grader on that day, I had two sets of 25 come back all 9.8s in a row.  All were pressed and cleaned, looked at three times in three different types of light to confirm they were perfect and they all came back that way.  Very next batch, all done the same way, only 15 9.8s, 6 9.6s, 4 9.4s.  I'm staring at the 9.4s and cannot for the life of me figure out the difference.  No ticks, no bends, at least externally perfect in every way.  I check the interiors too before sending them out.  So my guess is the 1st two batches the to Grader A, who is like this all looks great! and the third batch went to Grader B who was like is that a slight difference in color or a difference in ink, non of these could be manufacturing flaws, 9.4!

On 7/22/2022 at 10:22 PM, WolverineX said:

@I Am The Answer!

@Hulksdaddy1

@Galen130

@Mars76

@timfinz

@oakman29

@Funnybooks

@1950's war comics

No grader notes.  Looks beautiful still. Very annoying

20220722_221755.jpg

Same thing happened to me. 12 newstands 1 direct,  never read, bagged and boarded since bought..... highest grade was 1 9.6. :facepalm: I still have the lowest one graded 9.0 and it still looks perfect. Lol

On 7/23/2022 at 2:00 PM, joeypost said:

CGC has been sending back many slabs that leaves one scratching their head. I did a small experiment with a few books I got back that I wasn't happy with. Cracked them out to get signed. Almost every book got a .2 bump, with a few going from 9.4 to 9.8 with no additional work done to them. 

When one of the best pressers does an experiment and gets 9.4 to 9.8 bumps without touching a book, that isn't magic. It is the wind blowing the different direction on Mars. :whatthe:

Spoiler

When Joey does touch them it is magic though.

On 7/26/2022 at 10:15 AM, Crops068 said:

@WolverineX

Could this little bit of what looks like color rub be why?

image.png.d0dbb67b3f7c2b7a5391afd9dd755cd7.png

P.S. we have twins, my 361 newsie is 9.4 too. :(

Could be. Can we get a better picture of the slab, please?

@WolverineX

It's a glare. 

On 7/26/2022 at 11:20 AM, joeypost said:

Could be. Can we get a better picture of the slab, please?

@WolverineX

It's glare. 

20220726_124648.jpg

On 7/26/2022 at 1:05 PM, WolverineX said:

I don't see a single flaw with this book.  If you are going to ding me to a 9.4, at least give me a grader note as to what is wrong.  

From your perspective, did something happen during pressing and cleaning? Difficult to assess book in the slab...some internal defect? (shrug)