• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

with all the grading talk, in about a year I should some interesting info. I sent a book to mcs, ToS94 1st M.O.D.O.K. They graded it 5.0 which I thought was harsh by a grade or two and at that grade raw I would have to price it low $200s to sell. After waffling over price on it for a while and having it out there at $225 or so I decided to have them send it to cgc. It will be interesting to see what the mcs 5.0 translates to from cgc on this one and if it was a good decision or not.

On 3/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, vaillant said:

That is a pretty gorgeous book. As said, it probably depends on the grading criteria, especially on GA books.
Since the detachment of the centerfold (or even two centerfolds) was common with one-staple books, I guess it’s safe to encompass grades as high as FN/FN+ if the book is otherwise flawless.
If MCS criteria hammers this defect, customers will regardless be happy to purchase a stated VG/VG+ book especially if that is desirable and well priced.
I would have bought your book immediately considering it a FN+.

Agreed. With the wear on the spine I probably wouldn't have graded it as high as VF, mostly because I don't buy stuff that nice and would be afraid of overgrading. But it certainly is a beautiful book.

And I didn't catch that it was a single staple book, I thought it was just detached at one of the staples.

On 3/12/2022 at 11:08 PM, ttfitz said:

Agreed. With the wear on the spine I probably wouldn't have graded it as high as VF, mostly because I don't buy stuff that nice and would be afraid of overgrading. But it certainly is a beautiful book.

And I didn't catch that it was a single staple book, I thought it was just detached at one of the staples.

Ted @Superworld once graded a super-cool GA book that I bought from him as a FN+ (and I do agree): it has the centerfold detached. I recall Sharon told me it was common with GA books in nice condition to allow for a detached centerfold up to FN/FN+.

On 3/11/2022 at 8:37 PM, Beastfeast said:

I just sent 7 slabs last week and they're being finalized now.  However one of the slabs arrived with a meaty crack and is being sent to CGC for reholder.  Anyone have experience with how long that takes?  Normally, it wouldn't matter but it was the biggest money book of the group.  

Also!  Can you delay shipping when making orders?  A few items on my want list popped up but they're so cheap it's hard to justify the shipping cost.  Can I pay for those items but delay the shipping until I can make a bigger order? @mycomicshop

Hi Beastfeast:  I sent in several books to MCS for consignment Nov. 10th;  9 of the books were determined to have CGC QA issues and MCS sent them to CGC.  I was notified of a issue (told misunderstanding at CGC) on Jan 17, which is when CGC formally received the books to replace the holders;  I believe MCS received books back March 10th since I see the books are now being processed: being scanned and filed prior to being available for sale or auction.  

Just sold my 100th book of 2022 thru MCS.   The Average price has been just over $220 per book.

I had four lots in last weeks auctions. Three met my expectations but one lot- a group of Conans in the 50s/60s fell well short.  I'll end up with .90 cents per book. As I have multiple copies of the books, it isn't a big deal but I would not have sold them for a buck a pop if I had my druthers.

On 3/16/2022 at 10:01 AM, shadroch said:

Just sold my 100th book of 2022 thru MCS.   The Average price has been just over $220 per book.

I had four lots in last weeks auctions. Three met my expectations but one lot- a group of Conans in the 50s/60s fell well short.  I'll end up with .90 cents per book. As I have multiple copies of the books, it isn't a big deal but I would not have sold them for a buck a pop if I had my druthers.

Must have hit a selling "air pocket" that week on the 50s/60s Conans.  

On 3/16/2022 at 10:19 AM, musicmeta said:

Must have hit a selling "air pocket" that week on the 50s/60s Conans.  

It happens.   A Showcase I'd had listed at $50 before discounting it to $45 and then $40 ended up selling for $48 after being around $15 with an hour to go.  Selling these lots is really about making space than money.  A short box here, a short box there and I may get the monster under control. Even now,I have three long boxes of Conans 25-150. 

My last submission to sell direct to mycomicshop.   All late copper age.  Just grade very tight, look very close and you will be ok.  I actually lowered all my grades by a half/grade when I offered them so I'm about on par with their grading.  Not all of my submissions come out like this - usually a few of their grades are lower than mine.  Everyone downgrades differently for individual defects. 

Your
Grading

MyComicShop
Grading

Qty
Returned
To You

Qty
Sold

1 FN/VF

1 VF

1 FN/VF

1 VF-

1 FN

1 FN/VF

3 FN

3 FN+

2 NM-

2 NM

2 VF/NM

2 NM-

1 VF/NM,2 FN

3 VF/NM

2 FN

2 VF+

1 VG

1 FN+

5 FN

5 VF

2 FN

2 FN

Edited by boatfund
spelling

On 3/16/2022 at 2:04 PM, boatfund said:

My last submission to sell direct to mycomicshop.   All late copper age.  Just grade very tight, look very close and you will be ok.  I actually lowered all my grades by a half/grade when I offered them so I'm about on par with their grading.  Not all of my submissions come out like this - usually a few of their grades are lower than mine.  Everyone downgrades differently for individual defects. 

Your
Grading

MyComicShop
Grading

Qty
Returned
To You

Qty
Sold

1 FN/VF

1 VF

1 FN/VF

1 VF-

1 FN

1 FN/VF

3 FN

3 FN+

2 NM-

2 NM

2 VF/NM

2 NM-

1 VF/NM,2 FN

3 VF/NM

2 FN

2 VF+

1 VG

1 FN+

5 FN

5 VF

2 FN

2 FN

You must be a tight grader - when I submit to MCS nearly every one of their grades is below mine! :ohnoez:

On 3/16/2022 at 7:19 PM, mytastebud said:

Two weeks of waiting with not one offer. I priced all of the books on the low end of the spectrum. So far, this hasn't worked for me. Buying from My Comic Shop was always enjoyable, but this has been :canofworms:

Lower the price every few days or once a week so it bumps to the top of New in Stock. 

On 3/16/2022 at 7:34 PM, mytastebud said:

Thanks Ryan. I will try that.

I leave mine in Fixed Price for a month or so and then move them to auction. I've had several books go for more than my original ask after auctioning. Many of my books are more obscure, and they seem to have buyers for them, when folks on the Boards turned a deaf ear. GOD BLESS.... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 3/12/2022 at 10:51 AM, Bird said:

with all the grading talk, in about a year I should some interesting info. I sent a book to mcs, ToS94 1st M.O.D.O.K. They graded it 5.0 which I thought was harsh by a grade or two and at that grade raw I would have to price it low $200s to sell. After waffling over price on it for a while and having it out there at $225 or so I decided to have them send it to cgc. It will be interesting to see what the mcs 5.0 translates to from cgc on this one and if it was a good decision or not.

I didn't realize first modok was still that affordable.  Should have gone for that rather than first Mr Hyde which set me back more than I would have imagined.

On 3/16/2022 at 5:14 PM, Ryan. said:

There seems to be an increase in non paying bidders. 

Yes!!  It's extremely frustrating.

"Auction bids are binding. Do not bid unless you intend to pay for the item if you are the winning bidder."  How hard is that to understand?

I also feel the "extension" requests should be done away with.  The winning bidder already gets three weeks to pay.

Edited by workingdog
Added content

On 3/18/2022 at 11:47 AM, mycomicshop said:

I agree with you about extensions. Years ago the option to request an extension was meant to be a rarely used option for people who were reliable buyers but hit something unexpected, and we saw it as better for the consignor to get their payment in one week late than not get the payment in at all and have to cancel the auction and relist it. However, that was back before we extended the regular payment window to 15 days to allow bidders to combine multiple weeks of wins together in one shipment. I agree with you that with the longer initial window there's less justification for allowing an extension.

Discussed with our consignment director and we will be making these two changes:
- tightening up on when we allow a payment extension
- when a bidder has completed checkout for their auction wins and turned in an order, but selected a non-instant payment method like check or bank transfer, the consignor's item status page will show more info to the consignor about the status of the order and when we expect to receive payment, so it doesn't just look like the item is sitting there with no action from the winning bidder

BRAVO!  Thank you very much! (thumbsu

I just got the results of my latest batch of raw books. I have consigned hundreds of books and thought I have a very good feel for their grades but I was very disappointed in the last bunch.  Something is off.  I'm going to hit the pause button on submitting raw stuff, which sucks because I want to sell these books.