• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,150 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, dover said:

Customer made an offer.

I accepted the offer.

They have not paid.

from https://www.mycomicshop.com/help/bestoffer

What happens if your offer is accepted

If the seller accepts your offer, the item is reserved for you at the agreed upon price. Please visit your shopping cart and go through checkout to complete your purchase of the item within 7 days. If you have still not placed your order 7 days after your offer was accepted, your offer will be canceled and you will lose the ability to make offers on other items.

Edited by KirbyTown

On 6/19/2022 at 9:40 AM, dover said:

They have not paid.

I should add that in my single experience where someone bought a consignment of mine that they couldn't pay for, the book returned to my dashboard with the pricing available to freshly set as if it had just been added. I would assume that would be the case for you too if your buyer doesn't come through.

On 6/19/2022 at 10:48 AM, KirbyTown said:

from https://www.mycomicshop.com/help/bestoffer

What happens if your offer is accepted

If the seller accepts your offer, the item is reserved for you at the agreed upon price. Please visit your shopping cart and go through checkout to complete your purchase of the item within 7 days. If you have still not placed your order 7 days after your offer was accepted, your offer will be canceled and you will lose the ability to make offers on other items.

I’m the seller.

On 6/19/2022 at 12:32 PM, thehumantorch said:

It happens.  I'd guess about 1 in 10 buyers don't pay.  

On 6/19/2022 at 2:32 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Wow, that's a huge number.

This ratio is limited to your best offer experiences I hope?

I don't believe I've ever had a BIN/best offer buyer not complete the transaction. I have had my fair share of auction winners not pay.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:48 PM, speedcake said:

the $50 value for commission books is a recommendation, correct? So then are books in the 30 to 40 dollar range "ok", or should I only build a stack of stuff that is definitely and at least $50 in value or more?  

The commission minimum makes it not worth sending books worth less than actually $75 IMO.

On 6/19/2022 at 4:48 PM, speedcake said:

the $50 value for commission books is a recommendation, correct? So then are books in the 30 to 40 dollar range "ok", or should I only build a stack of stuff that is definitely and at least $50 in value or more?  

For slabs, any CGC or CBCS will be accepted regardless of value. 

For raws, the $50 target for consignment submission is there to prevent this situation: an uninformed seller submits a bunch of low value books for consignment that are going to sell for say $5 or less. Our minimum commission for raws is $7, so if something sells for $5 the consignor is getting nothing from the sale.

Ideally, I'd like consignments to sell for at least $20 or more so our $7 minimum isn't eating up too much of the consignor's selling price, but really it's up to the consignor what they're comfortable with. If a consignor doesn't mind selling a book at $15 and our commission is $7 of that, it doesn't bother me. 

The complication is that when a seller first lists the raw books they want to consign, we don't know how they'll actually grade. Some sellers will list books as NM that we end grading a good bit lower. By setting the consignment value cutoff at the point of submission at $50, we create some wiggle room so that even if we end up grading the book somewhat lower than the seller's grade, it'll still likely be worth enough to work well as consignment $20-25+), rather than being a $5 comic. 

oh right, I wasn't thinking about the minimum commission. I don't have $5 books, so that's fine. I do have tons of 25 to 50 dollar books (plenty above this too but mostly in that range) and I dislike ebay a great, great deal so I'm thinking about sending in a small stack to you guys and see how it goes.

On 6/19/2022 at 1:16 PM, KirbyTown said:

Can you clarify if you're talking about best offers in particular? Thanks

I don't keep track as they are so infrequent.  My auction sales are a small minority of my overall sales so most would be either BINs or they accepted my offer.  I usually only auction lots, unless I really want to move something after it has sat for months.