• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1 1

81 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2021 at 7:30 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:
On 9/14/2021 at 8:33 AM, Flee-Marquette said:

So I parked my van on the corner as the Google car came out of the neighborhood

I found your van on Google maps!

Released - Overkill Free Candy Van | BeamNG

I thought it was this van.. (shrug)x2ytxtfog1sz.jpg.799e0a4b6c7f534f613da8cc955d72fc.jpg

Ok........I cleaned up the thread a little and got rid of the joke prize option......just to avoid any confusion.

I did just add another prize option that's available to anyone who signs up before the deadline tomorrow night (11:59 pm central time on 9/16/2021).  

Time to switch things up a little with a hard to find non-comic item.....that's still comic related.

Prize Choice #4 has been added to the first post in this thread.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/15/2021 at 9:34 PM, Park said:

I’m in.

Should I just go ahead and select my prize now?

Got you added.

And no need......once I saw your post, I went ahead and dropped all the prizes in the mail to you.

1425424932_GameOver.jpg.47ed446b2a723c1f645cdbfd5df3aa5c.jpg

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/15/2021 at 8:01 PM, Domo Arigato said:

Got you added.

And no need......once I saw your post, I went ahead and dropped all the prizes in the mail to you.

1425424932_GameOver.jpg.47ed446b2a723c1f645cdbfd5df3aa5c.jpg

Sweet. I love these types of “contests”.

PS don’t let the rest of these pikers know that they aren’t getting any prizes.

On 9/15/2021 at 7:59 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

VP-COMP-GOOGLE-MAP.thumb.jpg.f6c8cf2c0266ac852e41728a0800af16.jpg

That's Flee-Marquette.

The Google Street View car noticed his van following them.......so they followed him to his house and shot him with a tranquilizer dart.

Flee no longer follows the Google Street View car.

The sign-up process is now closed.  

I was expecting maybe 5 or 6 people would want to try this out, so very happy with the group we have.  I will start the game shortly (within 24 hours) in a separate thread and will post a notice in this one as well.

Thanks to all of those that joined in as participants. (thumbsu

455049325_200(6).gif.250876b86eb7c7a23faaca56163b3e43.gif

So right now there is a 1 in 14 chance I will win?!?!?! 

Currently I am # 6.

Probably the closest to #1 I will be ... FaintAnxiousGelada-size_restricted.gif.b653e24601b057e0571534089173168f.gif

So all I can do now is ...

giphy-13.gif.ca0138db588160b39dc6d182be7d2505.gif

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite
And Thank you for Hosting this contest! I look forward to it !

One other thought. It's possible one poster could post an image at a slight offset (few feet, angles, block. etc) to the original position, but clearly show the location. While another poster could refine it in a few seconds/minutes (closer to the exact position). The first should get it, since they found the place. But again, you are the master arbitrator. Just something to think about.

Edited by bronze_rules

On 9/17/2021 at 1:04 AM, bronze_rules said:

One other thought. It's possible one poster could post an image at a slight offset (few feet, angles, block. etc) to the original position, but clearly show the location. While another poster could refine it in a few seconds/minutes (closer to the exact position). The first should get it, since they found the place. But again, you are the master arbitrator. Just something to think about.

Already found him. 

giphy-17.gif.1ccb0f652aeb910c0bfce21f0d9e9115.gif

On 9/17/2021 at 12:14 AM, Domo Arigato said:

The sign-up process is now closed.  

On 9/17/2021 at 1:39 AM, 01TheDude said:

I guess I am in then-- though your initial explanation is far from obvious to most people- as you can see from some of the responses once you explained what the hell you were doing. You realize very few people have ever heard of this type of contest?

:rulez:

On 9/9/2021 at 8:23 PM, Domo Arigato said:
  • Unless I decide to make an exception, no additional participants will be allowed once the game has started.  

:idea:

I will make an exception for you....since you obviously expressed an interest days ago in this post and I don't think you log on very often.

I have added your name to the List of Participants.

And yes, nobody has ever heard of this type of contest.  That's why I wanted to do it.....to mix things up a bit and hopefully have a little fun.  As I mentioned at the top of the first post, I got the idea years ago but didn't know how well it would transfer when actually trying to implement it.  Figured it was time to find out.

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/17/2021 at 1:44 AM, 01TheDude said:

I don't get how you didn't add me to the list after explaining that my misgivings were incorrect.

And if you tell me I am late to sign up --- well.... that sucks. It isn't like you started anything yet.

This game is to be played like Baseball.  THERE'S NO FRIGGING CRYING IN BASEBALL! 

I realize you indicated days ago you were interested, but there was some confusion as to how the game is played....so I'm overriding the deadline for you.

Now calm down, Francis.  You're in!

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 9/17/2021 at 12:59 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

So right now there is a 1 in 14 chance I will win?!?!?! 

Currently I am # 6.

Probably the closest to #1 I will be ... 

1 in 15. :baiting:

Chance.jpg.b11c8f90593628386975b64ac8504b21.jpg

On 9/17/2021 at 1:04 AM, bronze_rules said:

How do you win?:  You have to do two simple things to win. 

• First, you have to figure out where I was in Google Maps when I "took" the puzzle picture in the first post.
  • Then....using that picture as a guide.....you have to use the Street View function in Google Maps to "stand" in the EXACT same spot that I did, and post the same screen grab picture in the game thread.  Whoever does this first wins a prize.  Also, to count as a winning entry, the post must NOT be edited.

The directions on how to win are clear.  It's not just a matter of figuring out which location I'm hiding in.  You must use the puzzle picture in the first post of the game thread as a guide.  Use it to figure out which (X) spot in the "Street View" function of Google Maps I was standing on.  Then you must line your viewpoint up (as close as you can) to duplicate the picture I took. 

See my example here, where I went back and recreated my own sample image.  It's not an exact match....but you can clearly see I took it from the same spot and everything is lined up the same.

So, it doesn't have to be a pixel for pixel match to my picture.  It doesn't have to be perfect.  But if it's lined up close, I should easily be able to tell if you were in the same spot I was.  This should become much clearer and easier to someone once they reach the actual location.

So, in your example, the second person would win if they are standing in the correct spot and the first person wasn't.

My recommendation to someone before attempting to post a winning picture........get your :censored: lined up and your ducks in a row before posting it.

NOTE:  I also added a last line to the "How do you win?" section a day or two ago.  For it to count as a winning entry, the post must NOT be edited.  No going back and editing an entry to make it look like you posted the winning entry earlier than someone else.  I don't believe anyone in this group would do that.....but thought I better try to cover all the bases.

Edited by Domo Arigato