• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Letters to the Editor - Have one published? Let us see it.
3 3

38 posts in this topic

On 9/11/2021 at 11:00 AM, grendelbo said:

I wrote one letter ever to a comicbook. It came out in Wolverine 57. Picking up that issue was paramount to buying some of my big books like Incredible Hulk 1 & 181 or Crypt of Terror 17. I was thrilled. My first and only comicbook appearance!

Here it is.

1658196892_Wolverine57.thumb.jpg.a958a4097bea3a04eda847713131b10f.jpg

1069726312_Wolverine57alp.thumb.jpg.ff687f62ef1396a0e82e8f019c66da1d.jpg

809624176_Wolverine57alp.thumb.jpg.9c834bfe26c989cae1e0eb0ce454158d.jpg

(Don't think about doxing me. I haven't lived at that Arlington address in 30 years.) 😆

I have at least 6 copies of this issue and picked up a certified one this past year. If there's one book I'll keep forever, this has to be the one.

238691490_Wolverine47(CGC9.8).thumb.jpg.91155497b18b73d3a6b7dcb8bde4b7a2.jpg

We've seen letters to the editor from some famous folks. I can think of Bernie Wrightson and George RR Martin off hand.

Anyone else on the boards have this happen to them? It'll be fun to see and read.

Did you ever shop at that comic store in Burke?

On 9/11/2021 at 1:19 PM, NoMan said:

Did you ever shop at that comic store in Burke?

Gosh, that was so long ago. I only remember I had to bike 30-45 minutes into Fairfax maybe or Georgetown. I couldn't tell you anything beyond that.

On 9/11/2021 at 1:32 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@BladeTX @Crops068 Got printed in the Walking Dead :) 

I’ve been published in TWD 4 times (and I didn’t start reading monthlies until Issue 166) and twice in Walking Dead Deluxe.  Here is my letter from TWDD Issue 7. I’m the guy from Austin, TX.  Good long answer from Robert Kirkman which is rare.

CB34F8AF-4F34-4CE4-8A62-69CCCA782394.jpeg

D96414D6-83EC-4DB3-B9AA-7773363F4C09.png

Edited by BladeTX

On 9/11/2021 at 2:52 PM, BladeTX said:

I’ve been published in TWD 4 times (and I didn’t start reading monthlies until Issue 166) and twice in Walking Dead Deluxe.  Here is my letter from TWDD Issue 7. I’m the guy from Austin, TX.  Good long answer from Robert Kirkman which is rare.

CB34F8AF-4F34-4CE4-8A62-69CCCA782394.jpeg

D96414D6-83EC-4DB3-B9AA-7773363F4C09.png

Very cool.

Engage the writer/editor and peak their interest or funny bone and there's a shot at publication.

On 9/11/2021 at 3:57 PM, grendelbo said:

Very cool.

Engage the writer/editor and peak their interest or funny bone and there's a shot at publication.

Yeah I've got the formula down.  I also work in the marketing field and know the value of a good hook.  I've submitted 8 letters and been published 6 times.  The two I missed I know what I did wrong, sort of venturing into previously discussed dead topics.     If you want in, here's the winning formula:

1. Snappy intro - keep it fun, short and complimentary
  2. Something unique about the issue - short paragraph / setup
  3. Ask 3-4 questions and number them.  I've seen as many as 6-7 but I think it's overkill.  Let others have some space in the letters column.
  4. Make one totally fun (I was published in TWDD 19 asking if Kirkman had ever written a -script drunk, and if do, did he revise it the next day or let it fly 😂.  I thought the answer could be hilarious but alas, he said he has never been drunk 😕)
  5. Make the other 2-3 questions things that other fans would really want to know.  It's OK to be irreverent / challenging but don't be a complete jerk.
  6. Closing - keep it short (see you at an upcoming con / maybe a plug for your LCS.  I did this in TWDD19 and they were insanely excited. So spread the love.)

Do that right and I expect you have a 75% or better chance of getting published, which is my hit rate.

On 9/11/2021 at 4:37 PM, MattTheDuck said:

From Thor 238

Thor LTE.jpg

"Red-hot repertoire of ejaculations."

I guess that was Len Wein. 

He also said once, "I've had editors over the years who couldn't find a clue if it was stapled to their butt."

I remember being one of only a few comicbook readers in school. I look at pop culture and entertainment now and think of myself very OG. Great letter! Thanks for sharing.

On 9/11/2021 at 3:46 PM, grendelbo said:

"Red-hot repertoire of ejaculations."

I guess that was Len Wein. 

He also said once, "I've had editors over the years who couldn't find a clue if it was stapled to their butt."

I remember being one of only a few comicbook readers in school. I look at pop culture and entertainment now and think of myself very OG. Great letter! Thanks for sharing.

My 4 closest HS friends and I frequently referred to ourselves as a "scurvy lot of swarthy brigands" thereafter.  Only one of us was actually swarthy, and no one had scurvy, but we were definitely all brigands.

I wrote to things like Nintendo Power and perhaps Wolverine, but cest le vie

I don't think that I was able to get consecutive issues, and :( just never kept up to see if they were ever published so I have no idea; although, odds are against me hahhaa

I remember tracing Mega Man X for SNES For like a month to know the intricacies of how the suit was made. I sent it on the envelope addressed to the magazine. I almost wish that I had kept it, lol just cause I worked hard on it :tink: