• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping and no seller protection on Ebay
3 3

29 posts in this topic

I don't know about you guys but I'm selling a lot more stuff lately on Ebay but I'm also getting a lot of people who just won't pay.  They'll agree to buy it via auction or click the buy it now, but then they won't submit their payment.  It happens a lot.  I think the reason is that people just don't want to pay for shipping.  People see shipping as an expense they're not entitled to pay given whatever their opinion is at the time.  I usually use a flat 9 dollars for small things about a pound in weight because priority mail is usually around that much but people still have an issue with that little amount, even for 2-3 comics for 50 dollars or toys for 30-40 dollars.  Even on the CGC boards, there are often issues with shipping cost, despite the seller publishing what the cost is in the first post.

So from what I can see, sellers can't really report buyers in the same way buyers can report sellers.  From what I can remember, there are upteen options to report a seller, but there just aren't as many options when you're a seller.  I'd be interested in hearing how other people deal with non-paying customers online because it's really frustrating, especially since I'm waiting for one while 2-3 others are ready to go to the post office.

Edited by Falcon760

The psychology of that works well. You do somehow feel as a buyer that you are getting something for nothing even though you know deep down you're still paying for shipping. Provided the price is still acceptable, "free shipping" is a good plan. Worth a shot to see if it improves sales.

eBay is broken and a lot of new users don't even understand how it works. 

There needs to be a policy rewrite from the top down before I ever use them again. 

I won't even buy off there anymore and I've been on it since '98

On 9/16/2021 at 1:53 PM, Dr. Dank said:

eBay is broken and a lot of new users don't even understand how it works. 

There needs to be a policy rewrite from the top down before I ever use them again. 

I won't even buy off there anymore and I've been on it since '98

I dunno if that's realistic.  I have like 5000 comics or some like that and I need to sell some of them.  It seems to be the easiest option I've read about so far.  What do you use to sell?

What I do to avoid these problems is simply read buyers feedback. If they have any signs of not paying I avoid them. If the winner of a auction looks like trouble I offer the next highest bidder the book. Buy it nows I have a best offer. A quick ask jeeves search is a good idea as well. A buyer didn't have any red flags but I discovered their ebay name in a airsoft forum where they allegedly scammed the guy and said they didn't receive the airsoft. Common scam I don't want to say how they do it for $350 or something of guns 10 years ago. If I was selling a cell phone case I would have hoped they became a better person since then. But a 5 figure comic not worth the risk. 

Edited by Thisisrequired
Forgot

As you create your listing, there is sometimes a default setting under "Preferences" that says "Require Immediate Payment". Most of the time, it does turn up, but sometimes it doesn't.

For BIN listings at least, turn that setting on.

Also, be clear in your listing as to how long you will wait for payment before you cancel the transaction and report the buyer for defaulting on payment.

On 9/16/2021 at 12:25 PM, Falcon760 said:

I don't know about you guys but I'm selling a lot more stuff lately on Ebay but I'm also getting a lot of people who just won't pay.  They'll agree to buy it via auction or click the buy it now, but then they won't submit their payment.  It happens a lot.  I think the reason is that people just don't want to pay for shipping.  People see shipping as an expense they're not entitled to pay given whatever their opinion is at the time.  I usually use a flat 9 dollars for small things about a pound in weight because priority mail is usually around that much but people still have an issue with that little amount, even for 2-3 comics for 50 dollars or toys for 30-40 dollars.  Even on the CGC boards, there are often issues with shipping cost, despite the seller publishing what the cost is in the first post.

So from what I can see, sellers can't really report buyers in the same way buyers can report sellers.  From what I can remember, there are upteen options to report a seller, but there just aren't as many options when you're a seller.  I'd be interested in hearing how other people deal with non-paying customers online because it's really frustrating, especially since I'm waiting for one while 2-3 others are ready to go to the post office.

Last week I received an offer on a book and I accepted.  They didn't pay despite my reminders over the next 3 days and even eBay (automatically) said they reminded the buyer. I messaged a couple times too.  Nothing.  eBay lets you cancel for nonpayment after 4 days, so I did.  But when I went to leave feedback I could only leave positive.  Not allowed to leave negative.  It's stupid.   So I left positive feedback with attention grabbing punctuation saying they made offer and I accepted but they never paid or responded to messages.  They replied to their feedback with "quit your crying", lol.  So yea, I gave them one more positive for their 100% but since they replied to it, it makes it more noticeable so if anyone does read their feedback they will see it.

I check feedback from people who make offers.  If I saw a note like that I would reject their offer.  eBay wants nothing to do with it because they are 99% buyer-protective.  

I guess they'll have this mark on their account for non-payment, and I can block people who have a few of them (or something like that), but I didn't have that block on and they could have a history of this and I'd have no way to know unless people leave the feedback.   

I so wish they had competition.  I want to be done with them.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 9/16/2021 at 12:30 PM, Falcon760 said:

I dunno if that's realistic.  I have like 5000 comics or some like that and I need to sell some of them.  It seems to be the easiest option I've read about so far.  What do you use to sell?

Have you read any of the  threads on this very subject? I'm not sure why anyone would still be selling on ebay.

On 9/16/2021 at 3:44 PM, Thisisrequired said:

What I do to avoid these problems is simply read buyers feedback. If they have any signs of not paying I avoid them. If the winner of a auction looks like trouble I offer the next highest bidder the book. Buy it nows I have a best offer. A quick ask jeeves search is a good idea as well. A buyer didn't have any red flags but I discovered their ebay name in a airsoft forum where they allegedly scammed the guy and said they didn't receive the airsoft. Common scam I don't want to say how they do it for $350 or something of guns 10 years ago. If I was selling a cell phone case I would have hoped they became a better person since then. But a 5 figure comic not worth the risk. 

That really only works if someone submits a best offer. No way to avoid troublesome buyers if they just use BIN. I've been selling for almost 15 years on ebay and things have worked out 99% of the time. Any business in the world is at risk for being scammed. Some people get away with it. My experience is that things have a way of working out in the future.

On 9/16/2021 at 1:44 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Last week I received an offer on a book and I accepted.  They didn't pay despite my reminders over the next 3 days and even eBay (automatically) said they reminded the buyer. I messaged a couple times too.  Nothing.  eBay lets you cancel for nonpayment after 4 days, so I did.  But when I went to leave feedback I could only leave positive.  Not allowed to leave negative.  It's stupid.   So I left positive feedback with attention grabbing punctuation saying they made offer and I accepted but they never paid or responded to messages.  They replied to their feedback with "quit your crying", lol.  So yea, I gave them one more positive for their 100% but since they replied to it, it makes it more noticeable so if anyone does read their feedback they will see it.

I check feedback from people who make offers.  If I saw a note like that I would reject their offer.  eBay wants nothing to do with it because they are 99% buyer-protective.  

I guess they'll have this mark on their account for non-payment, and I can block people who have a few of them (or something like that), but I didn't have that block on and they could have a history of this and I'd have no way to know unless people leave the feedback.   

I so wish they had competition.  I want to be done with them.

Ebay stopped allowing sellers to leave negative feedback ages ago. I despise selling on there more and more everyday.

I plan on coming as close to the $20,000/200 items sold threshold this year (gonna be close) and then it's SAYONARA Ebay!

On 9/16/2021 at 6:00 PM, Motor City Rob said:

That really only works if someone submits a best offer. No way to avoid troublesome buyers if they just use BIN. I've been selling for almost 15 years on ebay and things have worked out 99% of the time. Any business in the world is at risk for being scammed. Some people get away with it. My experience is that things have a way of working out in the future.

I don't find many buyers that just BIN. Especially the deadbeats. They want to low ball you and still not pay. BIN is even better, i have it set that they have to pay immediately, they can't buy from me and not pay. Still like you say, every few months I get someone who has been on ebay for a decade and has perfect feedback and they don't pay. I like someone else said leave warning for future sellers so up to them to check the feedback. 

On 9/16/2021 at 5:44 PM, shadroch said:

Have you read any of the  threads on this very subject? I'm not sure why anyone would still be selling on ebay.

I only have 3 months left on there but I been on there over 20 years. I won't be selling as much since I sold most of my good stuff this past year. I find it the best place to sell. Not many places you can sell 5 and 6 figure books and only pay the auction house a few hundred bucks. Can ship to all these countries and if their weak postal system loses the package I can care less, all i have to do is get it to Kentucky. Tons of eyes on my items. Dirt cheap advertising of my items. If you know what you are doing you will rarely get scammed and if you do you will win your case. Someone not paying isn't a big deal to me. You leave your feedback to warn others and relist item for free. Someone paying then wanting to cancel is a pain. 

As mentioned in earlier posts, make sure you Require Immediate Payment on Buy-It-Now listings. 

On auctions, you state your waiting period in the listing.  When that passes, you cancel the transaction (might be a minimum number of days that eBay requires, like 4), and relist. 

You can report that buyer for non-payment.  There is a link in the drop down menu on the selling page that says Report Buyer.  Maybe if they get reported enough, a miracle will happen and they will be kicked off.

Non-paying bidders are always a problem.  Better to list as Buy-It-Now with Immediate Payment Required and gradually drop your price until you find a buyer.  Sort of a reverse auction.  But you get rid of the non-paying hassle because they can't buy it without paying.

I’m in UK so settings may be different but I don’t think they are;

BIN; as suggested above put your settings to immediate payment. 

Auction; after 2 days of non payment I send reminder, eBay will also send a reminder. After 4 days you can cancel the transaction because of non payment. You used to report non payers but now eBay claim they automatically put a strike against non-payer when a transaction is cancelled after 4 days with out payment. 

Settings, selling preferences; I have mine so that anyone with two or more non-payment strikes can not bid. 

On 9/17/2021 at 6:37 AM, Garystar said:

I’m in UK so settings may be different but I don’t think they are;

BIN; as suggested above put your settings to immediate payment. 

Auction; after 2 days of non payment I send reminder, eBay will also send a reminder. After 4 days you can cancel the transaction because of non payment. You used to report non payers but now eBay claim they automatically put a strike against non-payer when a transaction is cancelled after 4 days with out payment. 

Settings, selling preferences; I have mine so that anyone with two or more non-payment strikes can not bid. 

I don't think there's any evidence that ebay does anything with non-payers.