• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

In your opinion, what should the fair market value of X-Men #4 9.8 be??

53 posts in this topic

The 9.8 prices of what we used to consider "throw them in as freebies with an order because we certainly can't sell them" books is pretty mindboggling right now. Even for a comic like X-Men #1 Special cover. X-Men 1 and Spawn 1 were printed in the millions. Spider-Man #1 Gold edition too...  All have broken the $100 barrier in 9.8

Edited by sckao

On 9/20/2021 at 5:15 PM, sckao said:

The 9.8 prices of what we used to consider "throw them in as freebies with an order because we certainly can't sell them" books is pretty mindboggling right now. Even for a comic like X-Men #1 Special cover. X-Men 1 and Spawn 1 were printed in the millions. Spider-Man #1 Gold edition too...  All have broken the $100 barrier in 9.8

I feel like the most surprising might be TMNT Adventures #1 (1988), which was a dollar book for decades and now tops $1,000 often.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:25 PM, valiantman said:

I feel like the most surprising might be TMNT Adventures #1 (1988), which was a dollar book for decades and now tops $1,000 often.

Good grief.I think I gave my stack of that run to my nephews lol They loved it and being a great uncle?Priceless.

Bought them all off the corner store spinner too :insane:

On 9/20/2021 at 6:13 PM, James J Johnson said:

No doubt. That's another one! :facepalm:

To be fair, Spawn has been a standalone hero in his own comic for 30 ish years now.   Even had his own movie (although pretty bad), and huge range of toys, statues based on the character.  Omega Red is yet another supervillain pump and dump, as news of a movie appearance, somehow makes this comic more in demand....

(? I guess?) 

I'm wondering if people are thinking about the TMNT Adventures SERIES (1989) and not the 3-issue mini-series that came out in 1988 which is probably rarer and actually has an Eastman/Laird cover.

Character endurance/popularity like Spawn is one thing where they become part of popular culture despite an overwhelming comic population/census availability. For others, it's actually the rarity that causes the price fluctuation... which @valiantman probably can track better than anyone here.

For instance, Moon Knight #8 (1981) is an example I just ran across.

Edited by sckao

On 9/20/2021 at 5:12 PM, valiantman said:

Spawn #1 would like to have a few words... :kidaround:

This issue is likely fairly comparable to Spawn #1 in quantity. But Omega Red has nothing over Spawn, except for being a Marvel character, I guess.

On 9/20/2021 at 6:35 PM, Mercury Man said:

To be fair, Spawn has been a standalone hero in his own comic for 30 ish years now.   Even had his own movie (although pretty bad), and huge range of toys, statues based on the character.  Omega Red is yet another supervillain pump and dump, as news of a movie appearance, somehow makes this comic more in demand....

(? I guess?) 

(thumbsu

On 9/20/2021 at 5:08 PM, sckao said:

Never realized the Scarlet Witch was colored green on the cover.. probably to contrast with Magneto? She's the regular red/pink in the interiors.

The Toad's arms should also be orange.

Pretty sure Sol Brodsky talked about color design of characters as evolving toward heroes being primary colored and villains being colored using secondaries and tertiaries or gray.  And so some characters were initially green and became red (In the case of the Scarlet Witch, her hair was always red but I can see some conversation about the cover working better with her green costume).  Or gray and became green (like the Hulk).  So the FF are in blue costumes, X-men- blue and yellow, Captain America- red, white and blue, Iron Man- yellow (gold) and red, Spider-man- blue and red, etc.  Meanwhile, Doctor Doom was gray and green, Green Goblin was magenta and green, The Lizard- green, white, and magenta, The Rhino- gray, Skrulls- purple and black, etc.

Not a hard and fast rule but it does seem to apply to the silver age characters.  2c

On 9/20/2021 at 8:03 PM, Lazyboy said:

That's what it is right now, not what he or others think it should be. (shrug)

Lol.  Fair market value is simply math based on recent sales. So you may as well ask "what do you think 2+2 should be?"  There's no "should" or "shouldn't"--just look at the sales.  

Actually, checking my records, I was wrong. I sold 5 of them this past month or so at $200 apiece in 9.8. (I discounted them because there are already some priced at $200 on myslabs.com.)

So is there a market for these? Yes. 

(It's possible there was also a discount in price due to the company who slabbed it although I think that price discrepancy will disappear with time.)

(I guess I should slab 10 of them next time. :whistle: )

Edited by sckao

On 9/20/2021 at 5:35 PM, Mercury Man said:

(? I guess?) 

But....but I liked the movie....:frown:

On 9/21/2021 at 12:56 PM, Dr. Dank said:

But....but I liked the movie....:frown:

how about the cartoon?

For not buying too many of the comics, I appreciated for them for what they were, yet I'm not after more. If it happens :takeit: till then :banana: 

On 9/21/2021 at 12:11 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

how about the cartoon?

For not buying too many of the comics, I appreciated for them for what they were, yet I'm not after more. If it happens :takeit: till then :banana: 

The cartoon was a bit slow, but still very entertaining. It was dark and gritty

The Maxx cartoon was much the same, I liked them both