• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What are the Scarcest Comic Books of the 1950s?
6 6

81 posts in this topic

On 9/30/2021 at 9:10 AM, sagii said:

Thanks @Robot Man wasn't even a copy when CC auctioned the rest of the digest  issues a few auctions ago.

@buttock not sure, maybe a storage issue over the years (sunlight exposure?). I lucked out as the seller had very little feedback and had the usual "I am not a comic grader/collector,  selling for a friend" in the listing.

Bad pics also ,so I had very little competition. Very happy to own it :x

There's no fading of any other color, and in the white area the black looks normal.  It just didn't stick to the red.  All the more charm. Congrats!

On 9/30/2021 at 11:26 AM, buttock said:

There's no fading of any other color, and in the white area the black looks normal.  It just didn't stick to the red.  All the more charm. Congrats!

Hmm, I don't think it's a fading or non-sticking issue. It looks to me like a pretty bad production error, where the black and possibly the cyan plate were supposed to overprint the logo but failed to do so.

The printing of the guy's face is intriguing too; most of it seems to be made up of 100% cyan/magenta/yellow coming together to form a dark brown to simulate black. Reminds me of the cover of Hangman #5, where it looks like they got away with not using a black plate at all, to save a few bucks I assume. In broad strokes I'm guessing they tried to do something tricky with the plates here and it didn't pan out. (Very odd, because the coloring on the woman's dress is quite intricate and came out just right!)

Awesome book, as always.  :applause:

On 9/30/2021 at 9:37 AM, Point Five said:

Hmm, I don't think it's a fading or non-sticking issue. It looks to me like a pretty bad production error, where the black and possibly the cyan plate were supposed to overprint the logo but failed to do so.

The printing of the guy's face is intriguing too; most of it seems to be made up of 100% cyan/magenta/yellow coming together to form a dark brown to simulate black. Reminds me of the cover of Hangman #5, where it looks like they got away with not using a black plate at all, to save a few bucks I assume. In broad strokes I'm guessing they tried to do something tricky with the plates here and it didn't pan out. (Very odd, because the coloring on the woman's dress is quite intricate and came out just right!)

Awesome book, as always.  :applause:

Look at the logo though, there's some black in the "s" of confessions, as well as the overlap spots in "love".  The black inside the guys hat is there, but not at the margin where it touches the red.  The girl's hand where she's grasping his arm, the knuckle overlying the tablecloth has black, but none on the red.  If you pull up another copy to compare, it's only where the red is that the black didn't take.  

On 9/30/2021 at 1:27 PM, Larryw7 said:

Is that a Fox book under a different publisher name? It looks pretty salacious.

It's Comic Media

And @buttock and @Point Five this is why while IG may be hip and popular,  it cannot compare to the knowledge here on these Boards! You guys know your stuff! (worship)

On 9/30/2021 at 1:36 PM, sagii said:

It's Comic Media

So interesting. GCD says this is from 1950. Any idea where the contents are from? Usually these giants are a bunch of single issues indiscriminately thrown together, but this book would predate all of Comic Media's 'regular' romance titles. Quite possible it may be Fox reprints, as Larry suggests.

On 9/28/2021 at 11:50 AM, IngelsFan said:

Locker Planets are pretty hard to come by. Only one slabbed copy of 2-5, none of number 1. This one is my favorite, because it is the only one recolored.

1DFCF463-DDBF-49A6-A4F8-D7E95AF16DFD.jpeg

Very cool! What are Locker Planets? This is a new one for me…

On 9/30/2021 at 9:24 PM, Qalyar said:

Great book even with the title color weirdness, and pretty much never available. There's also a #2, yes?

Yes there was a #2. Here are the links from the last set of issues sold on Comic Connect back in April

comicconnect.com/item/901657

comicconnect.com/item/901655

comicconnect.com/item/901653

On 9/30/2021 at 2:00 PM, Point Five said:

So interesting. GCD says this is from 1950. Any idea where the contents are from? Usually these giants are a bunch of single issues indiscriminately thrown together, but this book would predate all of Comic Media's 'regular' romance titles. Quite possible it may be Fox reprints, as Larry suggests.

On 9/30/2021 at 2:13 PM, Dr. Love said:

Corey can tell you about its contents.  Opposite of a giant though - it's a digest.

OK, here are some interiors, sorry not laid open flat,  but don't want potential damage. Btw, they blurb story concerning virgins is a text story/commentary 

20211001_000800.jpg

20211001_000736.jpg