• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guide prices
4 4

37 posts in this topic

I know that GPA is a place to get values on graded books. It used to be Overstreet was where to go for non CGC values/prices.  Where to folks go to get current values of books? I am hoping the EBAY sold books is not the answer.  But is there an online place that keeps up with current trends and values?

Are you asking about for raws?

On 9/30/2021 at 3:45 PM, Coxstrong said:

I know that GPA is a place to get values on graded books. It used to be Overstreet was where to go for non CGC values/prices.  Where to folks go to get current values of books? I am hoping the EBAY sold books is not the answer.  But is there an online place that keeps up with current trends and values?

On 9/30/2021 at 6:36 PM, shadroch said:

It's not easy, as one sellers VG might be another's Fine, and a dealer that has 15 copies in stock may be cheaper than his rival who only has two. 

Ebay is the best free source, and if you learn how to navigate MCS's site, you can draw a lot of useful information. I generally scoff in the direction of people who use CGC prices to price their raw books. 

I started to defend Ebay as a good source because of an abundance of real time data,  But as you pointed out, dealers grade, um, differently. and even more so on Ebay. so its not a reliable source for Grade/Price evaluation.

I didn't say it was reliable. I said it is the best free source out there.  You can see the prices and you can examine the books that sold at various prices.  It is a tool and a tool is only as good as the craftsman using it.  If there is a better free source, I'm not aware of it, but I'm always looking to learn.

I find Key Collector helpful in identifying the better raw comics in a run, like a quick way to sort out the junk.  https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/series/

The downside is that the prices are not always accurate, and a bit vague due to not breaking out each grade.  It's a good starting point as opposed to looking up each individual comic in a series.

eBay sold auctions are a true measure of FMV since this is what folks are actually paying, you have to use due diligence when checking eBay sold auctions.

Auctions only, not BIN sold items. Since you have already graded your book(s) use the pics provided by the seller to compare their book to yours to see if the sold book is graded accurately and the same grade as yours.  Use sold auction prices for auctions with at least 5 bidders and be aware of books that were sold for an artificially higher price due to a bidding war.

Twice a year (June/December) I use eBay sold auctions to estimate FMV on my top 100 (+) books and have been doing this since 2015.

On 9/30/2021 at 10:56 PM, Lightning55 said:

I find Key Collector helpful in identifying the better raw comics in a run, like a quick way to sort out the junk.  https://www.keycollectorcomics.com/series/

The downside is that the prices are not always accurate, and a bit vague due to not breaking out each grade.  It's a good starting point as opposed to looking up each individual comic in a series.

Key Collector is great for identifying books, like you said, but it isn't free and their pricing is incoherent.  It is a good tool.

On 9/30/2021 at 7:25 PM, shadroch said:

I didn't say it was reliable. I said it is the best free source out there.  You can see the prices and you can examine the books that sold at various prices.  It is a tool and a tool is only as good as the craftsman using it.  If there is a better free source, I'm not aware of it, but I'm always looking to learn.

to me the "best" source would be the most reliable, "reliable" being say a trusted dealer who cis known as an accurate grader.  If "best" means has the most examples to sample for prices, Ebay would win... but quantity or even breadth of datapoints is less important to me than the "accuracy" of the pricing for selling comparable comics. But bottom kine there just isn't one really good way to price comics that far better than the rest.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, shadroch said:

Key Collector is great for identifying books, like you said, but it isn't free and their pricing is incoherent.  It is a good tool.

Remember when he came on the boards and was a real character.  But looks like the site has taken hold.  So much data on there enow. Do they have a team of writers/contributors?  are they employees, or paid freelancers?  or just youtube channel comics gurus?  Are they making money? anyone have a clue?

A few months back I bought some raw issues from a LCS. They were fairly graded and for each one he priced it by pulling out the latest Overstreet. It still happens.

On 10/1/2021 at 9:40 PM, grendelbo said:

A few months back I bought some raw issues from a LCS. They were fairly graded and for each one he priced it by pulling out the latest Overstreet. It still happens.

Those are the only stores I go to. Only downside is fighting off my enthusiasm as they quote me the overstreet price. Online comparisons are the way to go for the latest worth but why would I go to a shop when it's much easier to find online and shipped to my door. But something is worth what someone is willing to pay. All the major auction houses get enough eyes on your books. Ebay is good if you want to do things yourself. Just make sure you know how to ebay before selling anything good. I just look at current and sold listings. If you shop enough you will just know what the price is. I don't need to look up much.

On 10/1/2021 at 8:30 PM, Wolverinex said:

Pm me this mythic place.  I'll make a vacation to visit

They don't call New Mexico the Land of Enchantment for nothing.

I will admit I was surprised. Another ski shop accurately grades but is overpriced. Still another either prices everything NM despite condition or looks up recent sold prices on eBay.

On 10/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, shadroch said:

I don't pay anything to Key Collector, and I get the info I am looking for (which books are the important issues).  I never even signed up for an account, and as you can see by the top right corner of the screenshot, I'm not logged in. 

1445872991_Screenshot2021-10-02at03-44-54KeyCollectorComics-NewMutants.thumb.png.e8ed8dcf77c2cea9d7818e7a6b707906.png

The prices are there for 3 different grade levels, Low, Mid, and High.  The prices cannot be completely trusted, but at least the reason that the comic is a "key" is listed (or multiple reasons).

It's great if you have a clump of books to look up, helps you cull out the commons.  As for prices, you always have to check a few sources to get a consensus, especially these days where the pricing is so volatile.

I guess you get a bit more access if you become a paid subscriber.  I don't know what that involves, never looked into it.  Here's the ad from the main page:

1739659670_Screenshot2021-10-02at03-53-39KeyCollectorComics.png.5f81cadc2035240da6a75a7f54b4c958.png