• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone give the digital Marvel Masterworks a try? I did
1 1

44 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, bronze_rules said:

Like I mentioned earlier. Hold off until the $1 to $2 deal comes around again. It's affordable at that point. Same cost as one high priced physical copy.

I've tried Unlimited a few times, I wish they had more obscure stuff. But, I don't like the idea of having to resubscribe all the time.

I didnt know they go on sale for that cheap!  That is a good deal!

On 10/1/2021 at 1:48 PM, jeffreyk said:

I use Marvel Unlimited.  For $70 a year, I have access to the majority of the Marvel Library.  I have already read Fantastic  Four 1 - 250.  I use my Samsung Galaxy Tab S7+ and the books look fantastic.  For DCs, I use DC Universe Infinite.  It was fun reading many early Flash issues.  

Yep, I use Marvel Unlimited too. Love it. If you do not care about reading new issues when they hit the stands you can read everything Marvel offers just 6 months after it goes on sale.

On 10/1/2021 at 7:39 PM, shadroch said:

Can you blow up each panel to full screen?

Double tap a panel to make it full screen, then swipe right to go through the panels in story sequence.

Edited by Ken Aldred

The Ghost Rider page looks great I think.  I was going to ask if anyone has seen if Marvel and DC retouch the text on some of the 70's and early 80's books?  I don't mean edit the words, but some of the paper they used was so bad at the time, the origianls can be difficult to make out the words (or at least difficult with my aging eyes).  Some of the early Alan Moore Swamp Things are terrible to read on the original newsprint but the Absolute Editions are great.  Do they touch up the comics you buy digitally like that, or do they just scan them and you get what you get?

On 10/2/2021 at 1:18 AM, ender said:

Do they touch up the comics you buy digitally like that, or do they just scan them and you get what you get?

There was a very intensive remastering programme started in the early 2000s at Marvel. 

On 10/1/2021 at 7:57 PM, batman_fan said:

I will say, getting the Ghost Rider masterworks made me remember how bad some of Ploog’s work was :sick:

His work for Warren magazines copied the style of his mentor, Will Eisner. That style carried over to his early horror work at Marvel, but I agree that a lot of it looks loose, rough and rushed.  Later on, of course, his art started to more closely resemble Berni Wrightson’s, and became tighter and more detailed.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/1/2021 at 6:30 PM, Ken Aldred said:

His work for Warren magazines copied the style of his mentor, Will Eisner. That style carried over to his early horror work at Marvel, but I agree that a lot of it looks loose, rough and rushed.  Later on, of course, his art started to more closely resemble Berni Wrightson’s, and became tighter and more detailed.

I love a lot of his werewolf by night

Blah too bad they are ugly with the recoloring and everything. Also why pay them for it? I am not going to give my money to some corporation for something no one there had any hand in creating. I can get scans of the actual comics that look a thousand times better for free online.... https://viewcomics.me/ghost-rider-1973/issue-1/1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:36 AM, jeffreyk said:

I didnt know they go on sale for that cheap!  That is a good deal!

A few years ago there was some weird glitch for a few weeks where all new digital tpb, MW etc releases came on sale for only 99c, local currency. Great for the consumers. 

I miss those days. I got some great stuff I'd never have otherwise purchased. 

On 10/1/2021 at 2:00 PM, bronze_rules said:

Last Christmas, Amazon had a (fantastic) deal where (almost) all titles were $1 to $2 each. I completed the library on my IPAD Pro.The downside is there was not enough room to store all of them -- they do fill up the device. So, it took a while to figure out how to delete them, and start over. I'm already a big fan of masterworks, so having the digital files on IPAD was a great complement. You can also blow up and step through panels to look at the art in greater detail.

How do you find out when they are on sale?  Just keep checking?

On 10/2/2021 at 9:09 AM, Lightning55 said:

How do you find out when they are on sale?  Just keep checking?

You get put on a mailing list and are sent email sale offers.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 10/2/2021 at 2:15 AM, batman_fan said:

I love a lot of his werewolf by night

The later material is quite nice, as are his Man-Thing issues.

It's tempting, but I have mentioned before that I just can't get myself to read digital.

I spend about 8 hours/day on a computer, and physical books are the only way I can keep my attention to reading.

It's great that others are able to move their collections from physical to digital, though.

On 10/4/2021 at 6:00 AM, Wolverinex said:

Same with pre x94 Xmen....

Thanks for the heads up.  I have always thought the Spiderman issues held up pretty well.  Hope I still feel that way when I re-read them.  Anyone know if the Dracula stories are any good?

On 10/4/2021 at 2:07 PM, batman_fan said:

Anyone know if the Dracula stories are any good?

Once you get into the issues in the teens, from then on Wolfman and Colan are very consistent.  They do quite well within the limitations of Comics Code "horror".

Edited by Ken Aldred