• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Examples of Sun Fade
5 5

146 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2021 at 2:23 PM, Mutant Manatee said:

OMG, I used to own that copy on the left!  It was in my collection for years.  I sold it on eBay in about 2007 for $45.   :cry:

I have 3 copies.  One, a 1.8, was from a guy in South Texas 20 years ago or so.  The 4.0 I believe I bought from Chuckles 15 years ago.  It was priced just like the rest of the CSS books around it; $75 I think but certainly less than $150.  I don't recall where I got the 2.5.  I may have been the guy who bought it from you on eBay.  I would have been around 2007.

On 10/19/2021 at 3:38 PM, Stronguy said:

I have 3 copies.  One, a 1.8, was from a guy in South Texas 20 years ago or so.  The 4.0 I believe I bought from Chuckles 15 years ago.  It was priced just like the rest of the CSS books around it; $75 I think but certainly less than $150.  I don't recall where I got the 2.5.  I may have been the guy who bought it from you on eBay.  I would have been around 2007.

I found who I sold it to back then by looking through my old feedback on eBay.  Does your eBay ID start with an "H"?  

On 10/19/2021 at 4:10 PM, Mutant Manatee said:

I found who I sold it to back then by looking through my old feedback on eBay.  Does your eBay ID start with an "H"?  

Nope, not me.  I honestly can't remember where I got it but it would have been around that time.

Here's an odd one, which I saw with a 99p start on eBay and hoped to snag. It went too high in the end, but here are the seller's photos:

ll.thumb.jpg.0f3b7e3100d366b7d323b9823867babe.jpgll2.thumb.jpg.69bef392aa2e721d366afee9ccfbc3d1.jpg

Straight away you see the tell tale sun fade price sticker mark - here is a close up compared to a separate copy on the bay:

1300811584_ll(2).jpg.cbac4b3a413d00c90ca1531841f56813.jpg 10489303_llr(2).jpg.d8f1c4aff0bdc61f907f1e77308e1aac.jpg

It looks like the sun fade has taken some of the colouring away, reducing the depth of the pink background, as you would expect.

But look at the rest of the cover. Superman, and the title wording have gone from blue to grey....

ll.thumb.jpg.0f3b7e3100d366b7d323b9823867babe.jpg llr.thumb.jpg.a835df289b2d836835c0545e746cc010.jpg

....but the red's and yellows remain vibrant. Reds and yellows are supposed to go first, in sun light, aren't they?

So what we have here appears to be another of those 'grey' DC print variations with later sun fade to boot. But, again, if the sun fade took out the background pink (as evidenced by the sticker mark) why didn't it get to work on the yellow and red parts of that cover too? Something to do with the inks used I wonder? Is 'impervious yellow' a DC thing?  hm

Here are the back covers to both copies, for reference:

ll2.thumb.jpg.69bef392aa2e721d366afee9ccfbc3d1.jpg  llr2.thumb.jpg.65980d502976ff0bbfba52eeda39340a.jpg
                                            Sun Fade Copy                                                                                              'Regular' Copy

hm

On 10/8/2021 at 7:01 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Not a cover I'm familiar with, but having just looked it up, I see what you mean when comparing these two on eBay currently:

734351650_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.9119b082db43569df9dc698b05dc13b7.jpg1885697132_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.3a90ead9c1b4e55df7ae5155690b1f8f.jpg

A notoriously hard book to find with a nice green background. Looks like the Cyan plate was bad or the ink in that fountain ran light and nobody bothered to refresh it.

One of my favorite PCH books. I have upgraded for color a couple of times. I have even downgraded to get better color. Still don’t have my “forever copy”. 

Was a bit horrified in a local antique mall. Lady had 3 nice Aurora monster models and a few ECs to the top shelf of her case. Big prices on them. Have obviously been there a long time. Even the high priced stickers have faded badly. That fluorescent light has baked them badly for quite some time. Made me want to cry...

On 11/24/2021 at 4:12 PM, Robot Man said:

A notoriously hard book to find with a nice green background. Looks like the Cyan plate was bad or the ink in that fountain ran light and nobody bothered to refresh it.

One of my favorite PCH books. I have upgraded for color a couple of times. I have even downgraded to get better color. Still don’t have my “forever copy”. 

I love books that have multiple colour variations and printing issues - they sort of take on a life of their own. Even some of the sun fade copies posted here have a certain appeal, even though they are technically damaged. 

On 11/24/2021 at 12:36 PM, lizards2 said:

Depends on CGC grading era?

I guess it depends on when it was graded. Fairly recent given the location of the PQ notes.  Has there been enough time to fade that book since encapsulated?

We’re discussing the 181...no?

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 11/24/2021 at 9:38 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I guess it depends on when it was graded. Fairly recent given the location of the PQ notes.  Has there been enough time to fade that book since encapsulated?

We’re discussing the 181...no?

I am guessing you can sun fade pretty rapidly in direct sunlight, depending on location and time of year. 

And, as often as PQ gets mangled, it wouldn't surprise me if sun fade slips through, unnoticed, in the dimly lit grading rooms, after a few bong hits.

On 11/24/2021 at 11:56 AM, lizards2 said:

I am guessing you can sun fade pretty rapidly in direct sunlight, depending on location and time of year. 

And, as often as PQ gets mangled, it wouldn't surprise me if sun fade slips through, unnoticed, in the dimly lit grading rooms, after a few bong hits.

Checked if CGC encapsulations have UV protection.  There are none.