• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NYCC 2021 original art
3 3

77 posts in this topic

On 10/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Not necessarily. The Ross Andru art advertisement showing the Phantom Stranger and Dr. Thirteen for $2,000 was something The Brothers weren’t able to unload for years at $1,600. And, that is a piece with low growth potential. 🦨

Was referring to market manipulation via shilling, thus the wink at end of the post  :)

But yeah like with Comics a good amount of DC stuff has low growth potential.  The way I look at it is; with exception for a few DC characters (Batman, Harley Quin, Joker and some others), major DC characters rank below minor Marvel in terms of growth potential. All that does not take into account artist and other variables but DC is simply not in Marvel's league. Wish it was as DC  represents probably near 2/3's of my art and comics collection. Of course the reason for that was lower price to begin with...

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/10/2021 at 10:02 PM, MAR1979 said:

Was referring to market manipulation via shilling, thus the wink at end of the post  :)

But yeah like with Comics a good amount of DC stuff has low growth potential.  The way I look at it is; with exception for a few DC characters (Batman, Harley Quin, Joker and some others), major DC characters rank below minor Marvel in terms of growth potential. All that does not take into account artist and other variables but DC is simply not in Marvel's league. Wish it was as DC  represents probably near 2/3's of my art and comics collection. Of course the reason for that was lower price to begin with...

I don’t think this is shilling, more likely, swapping or buying low value pieces in the hope there is undiscovered treasure in there, like the Yankees contract purchase of Gio Urshela a few years ago. A long time ago,I asked Steve about it and he said,”This is Ross Andruuuu….”. Yea, okay. Put him in a Spidersuit the next time you add trade dress and we’ll talk.

I’m not sure I even have any Marvel pieces in my collection. It isn’t due to pricing, but character content. A lot of high priced work is based on  nostalgia, and that’s where Marvel kicks in. Marvel also has great fight scenes in its books, and they lend themselves to graphics. Now, if DC published half-naked Bombshells, I expect its art would sell better.

On 10/11/2021 at 3:18 AM, Ecclectica said:

Does somebody have seen there how Albert was selling it ? As a recreation or as the original ?

I wasn't there, but yes, my understanding is that is exactly how Albert was offering it - as a recreation and priced as such.

On 10/11/2021 at 12:27 PM, GotSuperPowers? said:

I wasn't there, but yes, my understanding is that is exactly how Albert was offering it - as a recreation and priced as such.

Thanks.

It would make sense. I saw on the pics in the previous post he was displaying at least one other painted recreation of another original cover.

On 10/11/2021 at 6:27 AM, GotSuperPowers? said:

That's disappointing. Almost as disappointing as Cates' tweet seeming to imply he bought the original...

Edited by Varanis

On 10/11/2021 at 5:40 PM, Nexus said:

It was disappointing back in 2004, too...when it first showed up at SDCC that year. I wasn't collecting OA back then (outside of a few random pieces), but a friend knew I was into all things Alan Moore, so very excitedly told me that Garry Leach had brought the MIRACLEMAN #1 original cover with him to sell. Only to find out that it was an unpublished recreation. An exceedingly well-done recreation. But still a recreation. Even back then, that kinda killed it for me.

When I saw it this past weekend at Albert's NYCC booth, I knew what it was before Albert confirmed it. As well, the actual original is an auction piece, and not something you'd find on a dealer's wall.

To muddy the waters even further, there's yet ANOTHER version of this cover out there. Marvel commissioned Leach to recreate the art again for a variant cover for their MIRACLEMAN relaunch in 2014 (see below). I was offered the art at that time, and passed. But I did think about it longer than I did for the unpublished version. Anyway, that's out there, if anyone wants to hunt for it.

GarryLeachMiracleman1cover2014.jpg

Thanks Felix! That's some great background. I was shocked when I saw the images of it on Albert's wall at NYCC - I wouldn't expect such a prestigious piece to be sold any where other than auction.

I hope Cates knows what he bought and enjoys the heck out of it. It's definitely an incredibly well done recreation.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:58 AM, John E. said:
On 10/12/2021 at 2:16 AM, Varanis said:

That's disappointing. Almost as disappointing as Cates' tweet seeming to imply he bought the original...

Maybe he thinks he did?

:eek:

On 10/11/2021 at 5:58 PM, Varanis said:

Thanks Felix! That's some great background. I was shocked when I saw the images of it on Albert's wall at NYCC - I wouldn't expect such a prestigious piece to be sold any where other than auction.

I hope Cates knows what he bought and enjoys the heck out of it. It's definitely an incredibly well done recreation.

Was this promoted by Albert as anything besides a recreation? 

On 10/12/2021 at 10:14 PM, MOStateSuperman said:

Looks like Donny has removed his posts about the piece. Not sure about the reasoning, but maybe he did think it was the original and has realized that isn’t the case.

This article says there was a misunderstanding and that he returned it.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/donny-cates-did-not-buy-original-cover-art-to-miracleman-1-after-all/

On 10/12/2021 at 10:33 PM, MOStateSuperman said:

oof. Well, that’s embarrassing.

Cates is coming off naive, but hey, we all make mistakes.   We don't usually post them on instagram, I guess.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:15 PM, Matches_Malone said:

What was the price?

I heard $10,000 but I'm not certain. Whatever the price was, it would have been a give away to most here it wasn't the original - not too hard to imagine someone less informed on the OA market thinking it was the real deal though.

Edited by Varanis