• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel Writer Quits
2 2

90 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2021 at 9:43 PM, Coverless 9.8 said:

There's nothing I can add that Criswell hasn't already said!  :wink:

damn it did affect me in the future.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:56 PM, Coverless 9.8 said:

This controversy reminds me of David Carradine being asked how long he'd be able to play an Asian character.  He said he'd play Cain(e) as long as he was Abel! [sic]  They reached out to Master Po for comment, but Tinky Winky said he wasn't available for reply!  :wink:

Kwai-it!!

On 10/11/2021 at 7:45 PM, kav said:

i want to say something abt this but it would be politics.  I will say a writer should be hired based on how he writes period-nothing else.

I guess the question we should ask is why did he feel passing as a Asian would enhance his career?

On 10/11/2021 at 10:43 PM, thehumantorch said:

I guess the question we should ask is why did he feel passing as a Asian would enhance his career?

BOOM

I'm with DeKnight on this one.

Resume fraud is resume fraud, full stop.

No different than folks claiming to have a degree that they don't in order to land a job.

CB wouldn't have gotten the work he got for Marvel, Dark Horse, etc., had he used his true identity.

And - in the process - he arguably stole the job with somebody who actually had that cultural identity.

And I say this as a fellow white American who speaks Japanese - that doesn't make me Asian.

Also - DeKnight was the showrunner on the bulk of Daredevil Season 1 after Goddard left. That's far from insignificant.

Edited by Gatsby77

On 10/12/2021 at 6:41 AM, Gatsby77 said:

No different than folks claiming to have a degree that they don't in order to land a job.

CB wouldn't have gotten the work he got for Marvel, Dark Horse, etc., had he used his true identity.

And - in the process - he arguably stole the job with somebody who actually had that cultural identity.

And I say this as a fellow white American who speaks Japanese - that doesn't make me Asian.

Also - DeKnight was the showrunner on the bulk of Daredevil Season 1 after Goddard left. That's far from insignificant.

That is true

On 10/12/2021 at 3:41 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Are you saying Dark Horse wouldn't have hired him for the job if they knew he was white? How is that okay? He violated Marvels in house policy of not letting editors write for for other sections, but if they are okay with that, who else has a say in the matter?

Does one need to be a mutant to write an X-book?

Edited by shadroch

On 10/12/2021 at 4:41 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Reminds me of Araki Yasusada, who was a celebrated Japanese poet (and Hiroshima survivor!) At least until it was revealed to be this guy, Kent Johnson.

There's also Jamake Highwater. He claimed to be Cherokee and wrote 30 books and received hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants, that didn't go to actual Native Americans. 

Why these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons do this is a mystery.

They feel that marginalized people have an advantage? They don't believe in their own work? Going with a popular trend? I dunno. 

But it's fraud. 

the-araki-yasusada-hoax-1.jpg

0008c2c9-1500.jpg

Edited by MatterEaterLad

On 10/12/2021 at 1:13 PM, shadroch said:

Are you saying Dark Horse wouldn't have hired him for the job if they knew he was white? How is that okay? He violated Marvels in house policy of not letting editors write for for other sections, but if they are okay with that, who else has a say in the matter?

Isn't the point that he masqueraded as an Asian guy. He used an Asian ghost writer to get the "feel" of Manga. It isn't so much he appropriated an ethnicity. He misrepresented himself to editors and bosses to get a job he wasn't qualified to have, then trained himself on the job by using someone else. Pulled the ol' "Tootsie". Sure. It's clever. But that kind of clever is deceit clever. Over the line.

How would you feel if you were dating someone as a male, were impressed with this knock out female and when it was time to do the bump, discovered you had more in common than you thought you did? It's kinda that sort of deceit.

On 10/12/2021 at 1:13 PM, shadroch said:

Yes - that's what I'm saying.

But whether it's true or not is irrelevant - because the issue is CB himself clearly thought it was true.

This wasn't just adopting a pen name, a la Stan Lee. He literally invented a whole fake childhood and backstory and gave interviews in which he pretended he was Japanese.

See: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/12/19/the-curious-tale-of-the-marvel-comics-editor-who-pretended-to-be-a-japanese-writer/

So:

1) He knowingly violated Marvel's corporate policy of not allowing editors to be paid simultaneously as writers; and

2) He lied about his identity - pretending to be an under-represented minority (at least, within Marvel) to further his career.

That's reprehensible. 

See also Rachel Dolezal

On 10/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

Reminds me of Araki Yasusada, who was a celebrated Japanese poet (and Hiroshima survivor!) At least until it was revealed to be this guy, Kent Johnson.

There's also Jamake Highwater. He claimed to be Cherokee and wrote 30 books and received hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants, that didn't go to actual Native Americans. 

Why these insufficiently_thoughtful_persons do this is a mystery.

They feel that marginalized people have an advantage? They don't believe in their own work? Going with a popular trend? I dunno. 

But it's fraud. 

the-araki-yasusada-hoax-1.jpg

0008c2c9-1500.jpg

Hell yes it's fraud. I was up in a plane - a Beechcraft - with ex wife Bette of Richard Bach. "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" Richard Bach. I made the mistake of bringing up that book. Figured she had the plane because of alimony or whatever.

She became so upset she almost flew us into some trees. She claimed that was HER manuscript and he poached it, divorced her and took full credit. Did he? Probably. We'll never know for sure. His subsequent books are no where near the same writing style. As I say, "Who knows"? Her ire was real I can tell you that.

I have seen many PO'ed wives. Had several myself.  And she sure seemed authentic. I wished I had brought it up on the ground, but there you go. Who knew?

That kind of fraud isn't cool.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:02 AM, BabyAteMyDingo said:

Hell yes it's fraud. I was up in a plane - a Beechcraft - with ex wife Bette of Richard Bach. "Jonathan Livingston Seagull" Richard Bach. I made the mistake of bringing up that book. Figured she had the plane because of alimony or whatever.

She became so upset she almost flew us into some trees. She claimed that was HER manuscript and he poached it, divorced her and took full credit. Did he? Probably. We'll never know for sure. His subsequent books are no where near the same writing style. As I say, "Who knows"? Her ire was real I can tell you that.

I have seen many PO'ed wives. Had several myself.  And she sure seemed authentic. I wished I had brought it up on the ground, but there you go. Who knew?

That kind of fraud isn't cool.

Jane Roberts was friends with Bach and was in contact with him as he wrote it and talked about it in Seth speaks.  Seth spoke about the inspiration that Bach used from his inner self to write that book.  I do not believe this ex wife.

I have an idea. Lets fire this jerk and bring in a totally unqualified Japanese guy. That will even out the karmic scales and the world can go back to the peace and harmony we were enjoying before this shocking occurence. 

I'm still a bit confused though. He rose to be editor in chief.   Was that on merit or was it not?

On 10/12/2021 at 2:23 PM, shadroch said:

I have an idea. Lets fire this jerk and bring in a totally unqualified Japanese guy. That will even out the karmic scales and the world can go back to the peace and harmony we were enjoying before this shocking occurence. 

I'm still a bit confused though. He rose to be editor in chief.   Was that on merit or was it not?

Doesn't matter.

Corporate America is littered with the dead careers of former rising stars and/or executives who were fired for lesser instances of fraud.

One example?

Scott Thompson - former CEO of Yahoo!

He came to Yahoo! after having been a CTO and President of PayPal. He was fired when it was discovered he lied on his resume about having received a Computer Science degree from his undergrad decades earlier.

Dozens of other examples.

This is worse - not just fraud, but cultural appropriation.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:58 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Doesn't matter.

Corporate America is littered with the dead careers of former rising stars and/or executives who were fired for lesser instances of fraud.

One example?

Scott Thompson - former CEO of Yahoo!

He came to Yahoo! after having been a CTO and President of PayPal. He was fired when it was discovered he lied on his resume about having received a Computer Science degree from his undergrad decades earlier.

Dozens of other examples.

This is worse - not just fraud, but cultural appropriation.

what if he identified as Japanese at the time tho?