• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Marvel Comics 1 CGC 9.0 161K???

172 posts in this topic

I don't blame you I can't see the book being worth even 100k if it has any color touch.

I'm not so sure about the color touch as could could be many other things, slight staining from something on the corner of the book or possibly printing.

For some reason Im starting to wonder more about you 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I do think its a little overgraded.

Just another example that illustrates that November copies (2nd printing) of Marvel #1 aren't worth the price in listed Overstreet.

The price in guide may be accurate for October copies and SHOULD have a seperate listing for November copies that are at least 50% lower.

And that is coming from someone who has had lots of November copies.

Steve

Are the November copies of Marvel Comics #1 actually second printings or are they just books from the first print run that didn't sell in October and were stamped with NOV. and put back on the shelves?

It seems to me that if it was actually a second printing then Timely wouldn't have left the OCT. on the cover, albeit covered up with a black dot.

I'm surprised that Mr.Hammer has'nt dissed the amount of Cash involved here...i.e, imagine some of the amazing Original Art that could be bought for that sum of money...what's he even doing arguing the merits of Colour touch or whatever?

Surprises me he even cares, and has'nt made the point himself juggle.gif

Just another example that illustrates that November copies (2nd printing) of Marvel #1 aren't worth the price in listed Overstreet.

The price in guide may be accurate for October copies and SHOULD have a seperate listing for November copies that are at least 50% lower.

And that is coming from someone who has had lots of November copies.

Steve

Are the November copies of Marvel Comics #1 actually second printings or are they just books from the first print run that didn't sell in October and were stamped with NOV. and put back on the shelves?

It seems to me that if it was actually a second printing then Timely wouldn't have left the OCT. on the cover, albeit covered up with a black dot.

Per Steve F. in the Golden Age thread on this topic:

There were 70,000 copies printed with the October date. They sold out in one week. 775,000 copies were printed with the November date, and appeared on the stands 2 weeks later.

So yeah, let's ignore the possibility of the color touching in the upper right hand corner, even though what appears on the high resolution scan looks troubling. The possible bump from 8.5 to 9.0 by CGC? Let's ignore that too, because Hammer brought it up.

Seriously, you would think after the Ewert debacle, people would be a bit more skeptical and hold CGC a bit more accountable, but I guess that's asking too much.

foreheadslap.gif

So yeah, let's ignore the possibility of the color touching in the upper right hand corner, even though what appears on the high resolution scan looks troubling. The possible bump from 8.5 to 9.0 by CGC? Let's ignore that too, because Hammer brought it up.

Seriously, you would think after the Ewert debacle, people would be a bit more skeptical and hold CGC a bit more accountable, but I guess that's asking too much.

foreheadslap.gif

We know it had a bump from 8.5 to 9.0.

I would be shocked if CGC missed a color touch on a book like this (or even on any book for that matter).

There is a huge difference between detecting most restoration and trimming. Remember, trimming happens to every book. So the key is determining if it was done at the time of printing or much later. Even the best professionals say it is possibly the hardest type of restoration to detect (and I'm excluding pressing as it is impossible to detect at times, and not considered restoration by some).

ill go even farther to say that the standings for the 3 most valuable comics are not what Overstreet states,Action1, Detective 27 and Marvel 1.

The accurate standing would be Action1, Detective 27 and Superman 1

Does anyone dought here that the equivelent grade of 9.0 for superman #1 UNRESTORED would have fetched a much higher price than the marvel 1 did?

Didnt just a 7.5 Superman 1 unrestored fetch 250k plus

Thats my point here