• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your GGA!
14 14

801 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2022 at 3:10 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

How much was the below guide offer?  That should be about $10,000...I'm guessing.

Latest OPG guide is at $15k, if you can believe it.  When I bought it 2  years ago, the OPG was $9k.  Maybe the dealer had an old guide. The offer was $13k.  Now who amongst us thinks they can get a classic cover white pager in grade for less than OPG guide price? I was willing to trade into another book, but not like that.   

rantrant

rant over

On 11/18/2022 at 2:37 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Latest OPG guide is at $15k, if you can believe it.  When I bought it 2  years ago, the OPG was $9k.  Maybe the dealer had an old guide. The offer was $13k.  Now who amongst us thinks they can get a classic cover white pager in grade for less than OPG guide price? I was willing to trade into another book, but not like that.   

rantrant

rant over

Thanks.  I guess that makes my 5.5 copy worth about $20,000 now...hm  :screwy:

On 11/18/2022 at 1:37 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

rantrant

rant over

The dealer of course needs to buy at a discount in order to make a profit on resale.  What do you feel a fair offer might have been?

On 11/18/2022 at 3:37 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

rantrant

rant over

Which dealer was it? There were about fifteen of them at the Summit. Can I guess until you say "no comment"?

• "Was it dealer X?"
  • "no"
  • "Was it dealer Y?"
  • "no"
  • "Was it dealer Z?"
  • "no comment"

So. Was it Terry's Comics?

On 11/18/2022 at 5:09 PM, fifties said:

The dealer of course needs to buy at a discount in order to make a profit on resale.  What do you feel a fair offer might have been?

Oh I don’t know. When I know he’s going to turn around and price it at double guide minimum, maybe a Guide offer would at least be a good start. Maybe  a Guide offer would at least NOT say to me loud and clear “I think you’re a insufficiently_thoughtful_person”.  

it wasn’t like I was standing there with my hat in my hand. Out of sheer boredom, more than anything else, I was willing to discuss  a cash trade on a book he had priced at Guide multiples. 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 11/18/2022 at 5:24 PM, MrBedrock said:

Which dealer was it? There were about fifteen of them at the Summit. Can I guess until you say "no comment"?

• "Was it dealer X?"
  • "no"
  • "Was it dealer Y?"
  • "no"
  • "Was it dealer Z?"
  • "no comment"

So. Was it Terry's Comics?

Ha! I never kiss and tell. 

I have given up trying to guess what books like this might be worth. Another one of “that” issue in super high grade. Worth MANY multiples of “guide”. How many? I couldn’t guess. Any dealer even pulling out a guide and offering less is simply one I would not deal with. How would that dealer react if the shoe were on the other foot?

If it was my book and I wanted to sell it, I would consign it to a major auction house. There just aren’t copies like that in the open market. I believe everyone would be talking about it when the auction closed.

I am curious to know the dealer but of course, it would be in bad form to out him. Personaly, I would like who NOT to contact if I were to put my collection up for sale. 

On 11/18/2022 at 4:29 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Oh I don’t know. When I know he’s going to turn around and price it at double guide minimum, maybe a Guide offer would at least be a good start. Maybe  a Guide offer would at least NOT say to me loud and clear “I think you’re a insufficiently_thoughtful_person”.  

it wasn’t like I was standing there with my hat in my hand. Out of sheer boredom, more than anything else, I was willing to discuss  a cash trade on a book he had priced at Guide multiples. 

Oh, I misunderstood your original post.  I thought the dealer was offering the book to YOU at that price...Yeah, throw the bum out...lol

On 11/18/2022 at 5:07 PM, MrBedrock said:

There were quite a few of the instagram "dealer" crowd set up to flip books at the middle tables. Was it one of those guys?

(As an aside, at one of those middle tables was a guy who is new to the business and pitching his pressing service. He had a laptop and two golden age books, one being a More Fun #74 that was abnormally white. I walked by as he was pitching his craft to another guy and the More Fun caught my eye. I said "oh, there is a cool golden age book" as I reached over to square it up with my line of sight. The guy said "Be careful. That is an old comic book!" Well I couldn't leave that alone so I started innocently firing every question that novices have given me over the years - "Really? How old is it? Have you been collecting a long time? Did you buy it originally off the stand?' "How much is it worth?" " Is your collection worth a lot of money?" Just engaging him with an inane barrage of questions with him being unsure if I am sincere but him being unable to rudely cut me off as a potential customer is right there. Then I finally laid this on him -

"If I were to damage this book couldn't you just press it back to normal?  ... Oh, and have a great day!")

Do you press books by piling bedrock on them?