• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SUPERMAN #1 7.0 Blue THIRD highest graded copy coming to auction at CC
4 4

218 posts in this topic

On 11/15/2021 at 11:30 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, I'm 47 and definitely wouldn't consider myself a younger collector. I think of younger collectors as the ones who grew up after comic books were no longer ubiquitous—the ones who are more in tune with the DC and Marvel Universes because of the movies and TV shows than because of the comic books themselves. The ones who didn't grow up buying comics off of spinner racks in order to read them. I would think that most collectors under 35 probably fall into that category—maybe even most collectors under 40.

There is definitely a line of demarcation in regards to ubiquitous. When we were growing up, one of the first things you saw when entering a 7-11 was the spinner rack. Kids today do buy comics but not like before.... so the impact of cultural significance doesn't really exist for them like it does for us.... and there has always been this hushed assumption that their lack of concern will one day sound the death knell for the hobby. Out of sight out of mind. The person wanting a Whiz 1, at this point, is probably 60 YO or more. I probably wouldn't take out a mortgage on the Farm to fund it, but for those who are "flush" ... the scarcity and historical significance to the medium would probably be enough to compel them. Honestly, it's not at the top of my Lottery List. The only major GA keys that I would even want if I was loaded are Tec 27 and Cap 1. But I'm not "That Guy" that buys them. Me ? I have to decide which week I'm getting take-out :bigsmile: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/15/2021 at 11:30 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, I'm 47 and definitely wouldn't consider myself a younger collector. I think of younger collectors as the ones who grew up after comic books were no longer ubiquitous—the ones who are more in tune with the DC and Marvel Universes because of the movies and TV shows than because of the comic books themselves. The ones who didn't grow up buying comics off of spinner racks in order to read them. I would think that most collectors under 35 probably fall into that category—maybe even most collectors under 40.

That would be me. I’m 19 and I grew up during a time where DC dominated Cartoon Network and the MCU was just starting out.

I can confirm I was not buying comics off of spinner racks. 

On 11/15/2021 at 9:07 AM, jimjum12 said:

There is definitely a line of demarcation in regards to ubiquitous. When we were growing up, one of the first things you saw when entering a 7-11 was the spinner rack. Kids today do buy comics but not like before.... so the impact of cultural significance doesn't really exist for them like it does for us.... and there has always been this hushed assumption that their lack of concern will one day sound the death knell for the hobby. Out of sight out of mind. The person wanting a Whiz 1, at this point, is probably 60 YO or more. I probably wouldn't take out a mortgage on the Farm to fund it, but for those who are "flush" ... the scarcity and historical significance to the medium would probably be enough to compel them. Honestly, it's not at the top of my Lottery List. The only major GA keys that I would even want if I was loaded are Tec 27 and Cap 1. But I'm not "That Guy" that buys them. Me ? I have to decide which week I'm getting take-out :bigsmile: GOD BLESS....

The spinner rack played a very important role for me as a beginning collector, each week or maybe two times per week a different store, I can remember like yesterday at the drug store spinner rack in San Mateo looking at FF Ann#1....and saying to my mom we have get this, I took it home and it blew my mind, one of the best or not the best marvel annuals of all time, only 25 cents...like yesterday. The spinner racks, you had to be there to understand the joy and unknown each week of going and discovering.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 11/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, Mmehdy said:

The spinner rack played a very important role for me as a beginning collector, each week or maybe two times per week a different store, I can remember like yesterday at the drug store spinner rack in San Mateo looking at FF Ann#1....and saying to my mom we have get this, I took it home and it blew my mind, one of the best or not the best marvel annuals of all time, only 25 cents...like yesterday. The spinner racks, you had to be there to understand the joy and unknown each week of going and discovering.

I made special trips. It was years later before I realized that new books arrived each week. GOD BLESS....

On 11/16/2021 at 1:00 PM, Mmehdy said:

I loved the spinner racks.  Sometimes you got lucky when a single comic that you wanted, that was a few months old, was sitting in the back hidden by the other comics.

With record prices today at HA, who knows where the Superman 1, and A1 and Whiz#2 will go. This could be a new price point barrier broken for all 3 great GA books......for all 3 books...This is a preview of  things to come, Ha could break another record auciton, and for sure the yearly record total. after a first day total of $9,580,800.00

Edited by Mmehdy

On 12/1/2021 at 2:15 PM, Mmehdy said:

wow over 2M....for a 7.0...it is a great book..cong to seller, it might even hit 2.2

Looks destined for higher.  I do seem to recall though from the action 1 8.5 on CC a few years ago that it hit a wall a few days prior to live at 2 million… and it didn’t go up even with the extra day it was given after CC was hit by the denial of service attack.

I don't think it will top the 3.6M   But it might.  its currently 4th best copy and seems like there are a couple better raw out there (not counting dentist copy. Ive already counted that making this the 7.0 the 4th best)  In this market it seems the new money has their own ideas about censuses and what is a book to chase down doggedly.  If 2 people besides CC really really REALLY want it, we get a fireworks show (and CC regains top price ever paid... theres that in the mix too)

On 12/1/2021 at 8:49 PM, Aman619 said:

I don't think it will top the 3.6M   But it might.  its currently 4th best copy and seems like there are a couple better raw out there (not counting dentist copy. Ive already counted that making this the 7.0 the 4th best)  In this market it seems the new money has their own ideas about censuses and what is a book to chase down doggedly.  If 2 people besides CC really really REALLY want it, we get a fireworks show (and CC regains top price ever paid... theres that in the mix too)

I would be shocked, but anything is possible. Superman #1 is a crazy book. There's the Dentist's copy (locked away forever), the Church copy (buried for decades), the 7.5/8.0 (which has been buried for 15 years- does anyone know where this book is?) and then two 7.0s. I don't have anything else. (I also just discovered a messed up bit of data which I have to fix ^^)

With that in mind, if you're looking to put together a top level collection, this is your book.  Which means it could go crazy. There's nothing better available

That said, this is the level I thought it would hit, so I could also see it sitting around this level until the hammer drops. 

On 12/1/2021 at 9:27 PM, rob_react said:

I would be shocked, but anything is possible. Superman #1 is a crazy book. There's the Dentist's copy (locked away forever), the Church copy (buried for decades), the 7.5/8.0 (which has been buried for 15 years- does anyone know where this book is?) and then two 7.0s. I don't have anything else. (I also just discovered a messed up bit of data which I have to fix ^^)

With that in mind, if you're looking to put together a top level collection, this is your book.  Which means it could go crazy. There's nothing better available

That said, this is the level I thought it would hit, so I could also see it sitting around this level until the hammer drops. 

I just looked at your top comics list again.  Heres a few points to consider, though Im sure you aren't motivated to revise it again so soon. (I dont blame you).  Basically, in this current climate, I dont agree with you valuing different copies in the same grade at very different prices. Buyers at these levels are buying by grade more than the other aspects like what it sold for last time. When its up for sale again, it's a completely new ballgame.  For instance, you have the AF15 that just sold for 3.6M at the same 3.6.  But you have the other 9.6s down at 3M because you state that you dont know that the others would reach 3.6.  Well here's the thing, that also means that the copy that sold wouldn't go for 3.6 again either!  Its not noticeably better, or even a pedigree or has the best page quality.  It sold for 3.6 because it was the first 9.6 available in a decade.  So either make them all 3.6 or go bold and lower it to 3.0, same as the others.  I agree with you that theres a good chance this sale was an outlier, especially if resold soon, So they are all the same for now until we have more sales data.  There are other issues listed (or not) in the same grade, but you have a higher value to one and not its brothers.  Like Superman 1, and Action 1 in grades 7.5 and 8.0, and FF1 doesn't even list the other 9.6.   And, I also think you need to put your values at the top of each section, up with the title, issue# and grade, not at the bottom of each listing.  I get that you want us to read through and then have a big  "gender reveal" moment... but scrolling up and down I often cant find the values.  And, they are followed immediately by the NEXT book's title and Issue.  more confusion..  just some thoughts to consider.

On 12/2/2021 at 12:07 AM, Aman619 said:

I just looked at your top comics list again.  Heres a few points to consider, though Im sure you aren't motivated to revise it again so soon. (I dont blame you).  Basically, in this current climate, I dont agree with you valuing different copies in the same grade at very different prices. Buyers at these levels are buying by grade more than the other aspects like what it sold for last time. When its up for sale again, it's a completely new ballgame.  For instance, you have the AF15 that just sold for 3.6M at the same 3.6.  But you have the other 9.6s down at 3M because you state that you dont know that the others would reach 3.6.  Well here's the thing, that also means that the copy that sold wouldn't go for 3.6 again either!  Its not noticeably better, or even a pedigree or has the best page quality.  It sold for 3.6 because it was the first 9.6 available in a decade.  So either make them all 3.6 or go bold and lower it to 3.0, same as the others.  I agree with you that theres a good chance this sale was an outlier, especially if resold soon, So they are all the same for now until we have more sales data.  There are other issues listed (or not) in the same grade, but you have a higher value to one and not its brothers.  Like Superman 1, and Action 1 in grades 7.5 and 8.0, and FF1 doesn't even list the other 9.6.   And, I also think you need to put your values at the top of each section, up with the title, issue# and grade, not at the bottom of each listing.  I get that you want us to read through and then have a big  "gender reveal" moment... but scrolling up and down I often cant find the values.  And, they are followed immediately by the NEXT book's title and Issue.  more confusion..  just some thoughts to consider.

I can change the layout to put more space between the value and the next title, to make it more scannable. 

I have had several people point out the missing FF 9.6 in both the article and the lists. I keep forgetting to add it in. I'll add a to-do list item today. 

Add second FF 9.6 · Issue #125 · roblarsen/-100k-club

On 12/1/2021 at 7:27 PM, rob_react said:

This is the thing with this particular book.  There are a lot of people with money trying to fill out the best runs of Superman, Batman, and Spider Man.  For essentially every other book there's another copy that will come around that's comparable.  With this particular copy of this particular book, that's not the case.  If 2 BSDs get into a bidding war...

On 12/2/2021 at 9:02 AM, buttock said:

This is the thing with this particular book.  There are a lot of people with money trying to fill out the best runs of Superman, Batman, and Spider Man.  For essentially every other book there's another copy that will come around that's comparable.  With this particular copy of this particular book, that's not the case.  If 2 BSDs get into a bidding war...

That's what makes it unpredictable and made it a no-brainer, to me, to get over $2,000,000.

If this breaks the record I'll lose my mind. 

On 12/1/2021 at 9:27 PM, rob_react said:

Seeing this, it just struck me, there's also BangZoom's Superman 1, which IIRC was never pictured full frontal but he said he paid $55 for, which was the most he ever paid for a comic. There was distant picture in the showcase, which looked nice, and I believe he showed a partial pic of the back cover, which was much cleaner and whiter looking than the back of this 7.0. He did post a picture of his #2, which was amazing, and if the #1 is as nice as the #2, it should probably be on your list if it isn't, even though he isn't selling.  I don't know if you're tracking BangZoom's books on your list for the lack of certainty about the grades.