• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Dealers in the 1970s
2 2

48 posts in this topic

Looking through a Bronze Avengers and remembering all the old ads of "Comics For Sale".Robert Bell,Howard M.Rogofsky,Richard Ald,Passic Book Center,etc... I ordered a few from Richard Alf once,A Thor # 193,an Amazin Adventures with Killraven but don't remember the number and a couple more that I forget.You had to list a second choice if they were out of a copy you wanted.I got the Thor but can't recall the rest.He also included a copy of his mini comic Alf #1.Always wanter a # 2 but never got it. I also got a price list from somewhere else but but never ordered any more after that.

My question is,does anyone here still have the catalogs from the sellers back then? It would be really cool to see them. Also any stories if you ordered too.

I started a thread on this years ago.

I used to keep all those catalogs, but are long gone.

I loved mail order collecting.  I can remember the excitement of opening the mailbox and finding my packaged comics waiting for me.  This was after begging my older brother to write a check or pleading for my mom to take me to get a postal money order.

As mentioned in that thread, Best book I remember getting was a VF/NM ASM 129 for $2.00. Man, that was a good time. 

I remember Howard Rogofsky and Passaic. Passaic had the book with the superhero muscles. I bought my 1st mail order comic book in 1973 from Rogofsky. A Green Lantern 85. That was a gas for an 11 year old kid. Payed something like $.60 for it. Funny stuff. I didn't buy #86 until 2012. A little more than $.60. LOL!

For some reason I've never been able to explain even to myself, I never used the numerous "mail-order" opportunities advertised in comics.  For several years in the early 70s I lamented that there was no place to buy "back issues" without realizing they were right there in the books I had purchased!  Jeez, what a dope.  I think I had an inherent distrust of these ads and I have no idea how that developed.  I never had any experience with them, much less a bad one.  Like many who were around then, I certainly had the money (either my own or "borrowed" from my parents) to get my hands on all the books I wanted then, and sure wish I had now.

The first comic-advertised mail order dealer that I remember ordering from was Harti Comics (Rita Jackson). One of my friends told me about Harti because he was happy. Prices seemed reasonable and service was fast. I also ordered  more than once from Hugh O’Kennon. There was always pleasant correspondence, and I think I still have some of the letters/notes in a binder.

Come to think of it, I probably even have receipts or order invoices in there too. I’ll look later and see who else I ordered from. I’m sure there were others too.

Mail Order had its hits and misses.  Mainly around condition, but as an eleven year old, condition wasn't all that to me.  I know I received a few books that had no Marvel Value Stamp in them.

As I got older, condition came into play.  I remember looking over ASM 39 and 40 real carefully.

Hell, I think I even ordered Sea Monkeys as well.(:

Edited by Spider-Variant

The first back issue I ever bought was Metal Men #11, but I don't remember who from. I know I ordered before 1970, as I remember I was in Junior High at the time. For a large number of days, I ran out to our mailbox hoping to find this issue. As a Junior High student, I had no concept of how long things took to travel through the USPS.

I also fell into the trap of listing alternates. I remember ordering a $50 issue of ASM (don't remember who from), but, instead of that issue, I remember that I got several books in return. One book I got was Adventure into Fear #19, the first appearance of Howard the Duck.  I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I was.

I remember sending money to a dealer upstate NY for a Conan 1 only to get a bunch of JLAs and a note the Conan was sold out. A week later I get a postcard that they have new inventory including a Conan 1 for $40. I'm pretty sure it would have been "sold out" again if I ordered it again.