• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Books from your personal collection, slabbed/graded FOR your personal collection?
2 2

45 posts in this topic

On 10/28/2021 at 9:16 PM, Mike22 said:

I was friends with Herb Trimpe before he passed away.  He was a Vietnam Veteran who flew Huey's during the war, I was a Captain in Special Forces.  He used to write me on email when I was deployed during the early day of the wars in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom (OEF) and Iraq during Operations Iraqi Freedom (OIF).  I had him sign this book for me, that I bought raw, and draw a sketch for me.  After Herb signed it and drew a sketch on it for me I figured I would get the entire creative team of Wolverine to sign: John Romita Sr., Len Wein, and off course Stan.  I love this book, one of my favorites in my collection 

Incredible Hulk #181 CGC SS 9.0 (1).jpg

Incredible Hulk #181 CGC SS 9.0 (3).jpg

I'm normally sad to see interesting books -- like relatively high grade MJI copies -- end up signed. But you know, I'll absolutely give you this one. Fantastic story resulting in a fantastic book.

On 10/28/2021 at 8:04 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Walked in to the LCS to see this cover, expecting a higher price for Campbell cover. I looked at it close it was beat, looked at it closer it was a Newsstand Edition, looked at the price that said $10 on the tag.

Picked it up went to check out, and the clerk said, "oh I found this and the owner said throw it away it's so beat, and I told him its Campbell and will sell!"

Long story short, I saved it from the trash! For $10 plus the cost to grade Haha:shy:

3530852_Full_Obv.jpg

It's bad enough that moms throw comics in the trash, but LCSs? Sacrilege!

Edited by Gaard

I don't have any pictures, as I'm at work. However, I have slabbed many of my books (valued over $500), because a) I don't want to take the risk of any damage to these books, b) I like how they look in a slab, and c) having my books slabbed will make it much easier for my wife and children to sell them when I pass away.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 10/29/2021 at 7:00 PM, Cushing Fan said:

On the left is my Incredible Hulk 250 that I bought off the rack as a kid. Read it plenty of times (did some color touch on the cover as kid with a pen to keep it looking "new" lol). Years later I found a high grade copy of the same issue and got it signed by both Sal Buscema and Al Milgrom. Both book will never leave my collection.  

20211029_171140.jpg

Your raw copy looks great for so having stayed with you since you were a kid!

Took me a minute to find the sneaky Buscema sig on the graded copy, lol. Gnarly books, thanks for sharing!

On 10/29/2021 at 9:53 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I had a nice run of Byrnes X-Men that were the last set of books I brought from my youth. When I began selling books (about 7-8 years ago), I sold most of the raws but kept the 141 and 142 because i loved the story so much. Eventually i got them graded during the hype of the movies etc and sold them. I regretted it immediately and finally reached out to the buyer to see if i could buy them back. I offered to pay more or trade him for other copies but he knew my sentimental value and wanted a significant amount more so i passed. They weren't high grade etc in case anyone was wondering.

when i see one posted, i always look to see if it's mine since it had a pencil mark of the price i paid for each of them on the back.

years later, when buying comics, my cousin who collected with me asked if i'd be interested in buying his books. he had about 5-6 books left. but one of them was a book i sold him when we were collecting in our late teens. ASM 135. I still have that book raw. That was a nice return for me as that was the first spider-man cover I saw (on a folder, those who are old enough to remember those Marvel folders).

On 10/30/2021 at 3:13 PM, ExNihilo said:

My dad got me into comics.  Unfortunately, part of his collection was lost when his parents (my grandparents) basement flooded, save for one box.  These were the two biggest keys in that box so I sent them off to CGC for preservation and because I knew I would never part with them.  I told my sister (since I don't have any kids of my own yet) that I don't care what she does with my books, but hang on to dads and pass them down.

Thor165.thumb.JPG.83496fa0ec8a648f0e7ade1ce12fdcf9.JPG1077244317_StrangeAdventures205.thumb.JPG.8ef09602505a463b3e7d7ffaed915ba0.JPG

^^

On 10/30/2021 at 4:13 PM, ExNihilo said:

My dad got me into comics.  Unfortunately, part of his collection was lost when his parents (my grandparents) basement flooded, save for one box.  These were the two biggest keys in that box so I sent them off to CGC for preservation and because I knew I would never part with them.  I told my sister (since I don't have any kids of my own yet) that I don't care what she does with my books, but hang on to dads and pass them down.

Thor165.thumb.JPG.83496fa0ec8a648f0e7ade1ce12fdcf9.JPG1077244317_StrangeAdventures205.thumb.JPG.8ef09602505a463b3e7d7ffaed915ba0.JPG

Excellent telling, thank you for sharing!