• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Clear! Really?
5 5

210 posts in this topic

If the problem were supplies, wouldn't CGC have announced that instead of 3 signings a month? It seems that "Hey, we're low on the materials that we need to make the plastic tombs" would've given people waiting so long for books a valid reason for the wait. Instead we get (at least) three emails a month announcing signings and a 'How am I getting my books back so fast' thread.

On 11/16/2021 at 1:39 PM, lostboys said:

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand right on cue I get a message about a private signing.

Because who wouldnt want CORONA scribbled on their books?

smh

Post of the Month! :384905918_highfiveemoji:

On 11/16/2021 at 2:11 PM, thehumantorch said:

Clearly the 3 signings a month is about profit.  It's an insult to continue to prioritize these signings when we're waiting 6+ months to get our books graded.

I get their need for profit, but prioritizing profit over providing for their customers (QC, TAT, etc.) isn't the best plan for long term success. I've been employed by a number of places who have put the executives' personal gain over the betterment of the business and in every instance, it didn't work out for them in the long term. Houses aren't built from the top, down; they are build from the foundation, up. 

On 11/16/2021 at 2:19 PM, jas1vans said:

I get their need for profit, but prioritizing profit over providing for their customers (QC, TAT, etc.) isn't the best plan for long term success. I've been employed by a number of places who have put the executives' personal gain over the betterment of the business and in every instance, it didn't work out for them in the long term. Houses aren't built from the top, down; they are build from the foundation, up. 

With a grading backlog of 6 months they can make a profit without these signature events.  Clearly they have unlimited business and can raise rates without fear.  I can only guess that they prioritize these signature events because they are very profitable.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, Satanic Mechanic said:

lol Do you realize that CGC has been in business over 20 years, has slabbed over 4 million comics, and just had the busiest/most profitable year they've ever had? If things are so bad why do people keep sending in comics?

November 16, 2021 - The current CGC census has 240,492 individual comics with 6,815,527 copies graded.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/

On 11/16/2021 at 7:43 AM, comicginger1789 said:

They should have anticipated that a worldwide pandemic would happen and that EVERYONE would start sending books in?

I'm not giving them an out by any mean but a lot of bigger companies got hit with shortages and delays...perhaps they could have started their expansion process a few months sooner but I really don't think a lot of people were predicting the comic book that this past year and a half had. 

At this point, I just want CGC to grade properly. With all the new hires, it seems there have been a lot of issues. Hoping that sorts itself out so that 2022 can be a year where they get back to normal wait times AND generally accurate and effective grading practices. 

I agree. CGC couldn't have anticipated a worldwide pandemic. But surely, they could have realized that there would be MANY donations when they announced the price hike.

If this has already been brought up, please ignore. I realize I'm late to the party.

On 11/16/2021 at 4:06 PM, Satanic Mechanic said:

lol Do you realize that CGC has been in business over 20 years, has slabbed over 4 million comics, and just had the busiest/most profitable year they've ever had? If things are so bad why do people keep sending in comics?

Yes, I'm aware. What good is a "most profitable year" if their grading appears to be inconsistent, their slabs lack eye appeal, their customers' product is damaged in house, and the QC is so poor it drives people from just complaints on a chat board to not slabbing or choosing another company instead? Inconsistent grading, poor QC, and unsightly slabs don't seem like the proper mixture to keep bringing customers back, nor maintaining their place as the head of the class.

I believe that people keep sending comics to CGC because they have been the gold standard for so long and the books sell for crazy money.

On 11/16/2021 at 12:02 PM, jas1vans said:

If the problem were supplies, wouldn't CGC have announced that instead of 3 signings a month?

On 11/16/2021 at 12:11 PM, thehumantorch said:

Clearly the 3 signings a month is about profit.  It's an insult to continue to prioritize these signings when we're waiting 6+ months to get our books graded.

Do these guys at CGC have more than 1 mailing distribution list, as I am sure that I received more than 3 emails per month for their frigging signings. (shrug)

It seems much more like 3 emails PER WEEK asking if you want to turn in books for their money grabbing no name signings. :frustrated: :mad:  :censored:  :censored:

On 11/16/2021 at 5:11 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

CGC literally cleared the grading queue during the first couple months of covid. I went from sending my normal per month submissions at the beginning of covid and getting moderns them back in 3 weeks.....3 weeks!  That hasn't happened since 2002!  To then all of a sudden a submission total wave that buried them because of all the new copper/modern record inflated selling prices.  So to even expand during covid (lucky they operate in a business friendly state) wasn't easy with so many employees I am sure in and out because of covid.  I am not making excuses for some of the other problems they have had prior to covid, but I am not going to throw CGC under the bus for not being prepared for covid.  No one was.

Are you sure that announcing that prices would rise at the end of a specific month (I can't remember which month it was) didn't have anything to do with this "submission total wave?"

On 11/17/2021 at 12:49 AM, Math Teacher said:

Are you sure that announcing that prices would rise at the end of a specific month (I can't remember which month it was) didn't have anything to do with this "submission total wave?"

In part, I think.  My presser was able to get my 20 Moderns in before the May deadline, but he told me that a lot of his customers were going to be unlucky because they had a lot more comics to submit than me.  He didn’t have nearly enough time to help those people out. (shrug)