• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All Clear! Really?
5 5

210 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2021 at 9:04 PM, MAR1979 said:

As for me; When I was younger, so much younger than today, I never needed anybody's Help in anyway...

You don't need a good reason to post a Beatles lyric, but it was very appropriate.

How about this one: Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. This came from Bob Dylan, but the Byrds made it popular.

Edited by Math Teacher

I returned all 20 of my newly graded slabs as Mechanical Error.  Wonder how long they’ll sit now, especially if they’re backlogged with fixing multiple slabs. :facepalm:  I’ve tried looking up the order…no luck. (shrug)

Edited by Galen130

On 11/19/2021 at 9:51 PM, Galen130 said:

I returned all 20 of my newly graded slabs as Mechanical Error.  Wonder how long they’ll sit now, especially if they’re backlogged with fixing multiple slabs. :facepalm:  I’ve tried looking up the order…no luck. (shrug)

It happens so much they have a tat category for it. Two In fact, high value and non. 

FYI most of the damage I’ve seen and heard about is the kind that would happen if people just manhandle the book: rhumb dents and creases. Like some goon transferring books from box to box. 

On 11/18/2021 at 8:48 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Clearing the package backlog is the first step to improving turnaround times, and CGC is confident that submissions will be completed significantly faster in the near future. Current turnaround times can be found on the CGC Services & Fees page.

Like CGC, Classic Collectible Services® (CCS®), the world’s leading comic book pressing, restoration and restoration removal company, is hiring and pursuing best-in-class operational strategies to increase production while improving quality. With this expansion, CCS will also be better equipped to grow and meet demand.

So, if you want an image...you have to wait an extra 10 days? Which means 2 extra weeks? 

I've never had an image done, but I guess I'd rather see the books in person two weeks earlier.

:gossip: I think they are catching up...after all the time on the economy tier is down by at least 1 day...unfortunately it's still up 20 days from 2 years ago.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:26 PM, Transplant said:

It happens so much they have a tat category for it. Two In fact, high value and non. 

FYI most of the damage I’ve seen and heard about is the kind that would happen if people just manhandle the book: rhumb dents and creases. Like some goon transferring books from box to box. 

Most of mine had pressure fractions on the side from being assembled.  They'll probably blame it on shipping. :ohnoez:

On 11/20/2021 at 12:09 AM, toro said:

What happens if I have a  month left on my membership and they don't get my order into the system until 5 weeks from now even though the package reached them today.  Do they just send it back?

Don't worry, CGC will jump through whatever hoops it takes to extract money from you. 

On 11/19/2021 at 6:47 PM, Math Teacher said:

Trust me. I have been advocating that teachers, especially substitutes, be supplied with tasers. You won's stay in your seat and be quiet? BZZZZ! You came in late for the fifth time this week? BZZZZ! You haven't turned in an assignment since the beginning of November? BZZZZ! You spend more time in the restroom or wandering the halls that you do in my classroom? BZZZZ!

Please understand that the previous paragraph was made in jest. But I can always dream, can't I?

When I first started subbing, back in the fall of 2018, I took just about any job that came up. I subbed at the Middle School and I subbed in freshmen classes at the High School. As hard it is to believe, I did a half-day of 2nd grade and half-day of kindergarten as favors for two of my friends.

Today, I am FAR more discriminating. I will never sub at our Primary School, our intermediate School, and our Middle School, even if they paid me $500/day. This is more than three times my current sub salary. I also avoid subbing in freshman classes, unless it can't be avoided. For example, I just finished a long-term sub job for a teacher that had three Human Anatomy (mostly juniors who actually care about their grade), one AP Biology class (filled with twelve students who are all Type-A personalities, and one Biology A class (mostly freshmen). I can put up with that. I will no longer sub for any teacher that teaches all freshmen classes.

Look, I wouldn't be honest if I were to say that I don't like the extra money, but I've decided that my sanity has to be worth something. And beginning last January, I made a promise to myself to sub no more than four days a week. What's the point of being retired when you're working five days a week?

Gee I guess I'm not retired even though I put in 30 years at Verizon.  I work 7 days a week because I love what I do.  That's the difference between doing something you love and doing something to get paid to support yourself/family.  

On 11/20/2021 at 7:28 AM, blazingbob said:

Gee I guess I'm not retired even though I put in 30 years at Verizon.  I work 7 days a week because I love what I do.  That's the difference between doing something you love and doing something to get paid to support yourself/family.  

Trust me on this, I wouldn't have been a teacher for 38 years if I didn't enjoy my job. As a retiree, I have plenty of options for part-time jobs. Why would I continue to be a substitute teacher if I didn't enjoy it?

On 11/19/2021 at 11:09 PM, toro said:

What happens if I have a  month left on my membership and they don't get my order into the system until 5 weeks from now even though the package reached them today.  Do they just send it back?

Theres a reason you havent sent those books in yet. Trust your instincts and let the membership expire like myself and others have done.

On 11/19/2021 at 9:03 PM, Math Teacher said:

The sad thing is this: If a student came up to me and said s/he wanted to become a teacher, I would have to say, "I wouldn't recommend it."

Doctors and nurses are in the same boat. Budgetary cuts, social "restrictions" and administration interference simply makes the enterprise "not worth it" and many went to Wall Street to become traders. Money is better and there is less hassle, believe it or not. That is not a good sign.

As I said earlier, I would be a good teacher if they cared about being taught. That running around the room thing would not be good for me or the student. I would be frank with the parents. I would praise the student if they were doing well and be equally harsh when their little angel was a failure. I imagine most parents take exception at that. Perhaps it is the rare parent who would take frank criticism to heart concerning "Daddy's Little Pumpkin".

On 11/20/2021 at 9:14 AM, Ride the Tiger said:

Theres a reason you havent sent those books in yet. Trust your instincts and let the membership expire like myself and others have done.

That is good advice. Nothing says "Straighten Up" like loss of income. That shouts louder than any words. The reason outlined here are the reasons I won't send any raws to be graded. I simply don't trust them. And I don't trust the apologists when they claim reasons for the damage or the high TAT's. Excusing those as valid reasons and insinuating customers need to suck it up and spin the wheel. No. They don't.

On 11/19/2021 at 11:36 PM, Galen130 said:

Most of mine had pressure fractions on the side from being assembled.  They'll probably blame it on shipping. :ohnoez:

Last books I received back more than half the slabs had scuffing in nearly the same spot.  On most I was able to buff them out using Meguiar's PlastX on the others was only able to remove about 75% of the scuffing.

Those books utilized CGC's "new process". So while apparently (or allegedly) faster it appears applying damage to each slab is now officially part of the service.

On 11/20/2021 at 8:42 AM, MAR1979 said:

Last books I received back more than half the slabs had scuffing in nearly the same spot.  On most I was able to buff them out using Meguiar's PlastX on the others was only able to remove about 75% of the scuffing.

Those books utilized CGC's "new process". So while apparently (or allegedly) faster it appears applying damage to each slab is now officially part of the service.

They may start a slab buffing add on service. 🤣🤣🤣

On 11/20/2021 at 9:59 AM, D84 said:

They may start a slab buffing add on service. 🤣🤣🤣

Probably not as ridiculous a concept as you think. I could see an add on service of second level quality control being a real possibility. 

On 11/20/2021 at 9:26 AM, Ryan. said:

Probably not as ridiculous a concept as you think. I could see an add on service of second level quality control being a real possibility. 

I know, they probably will, but have to pay extra to do it right is ridiculous.