• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$137 for insurance?

14 posts in this topic

I've been buying a few things from an small out of state auction house for a few months. I think I've bought from about ten auctions and my biggest invoice was less than $500.

Last week they had a decent run of SA comics and I ended up winning Daredevil 1,3,4,5,6, Spiderman 16, 17 and a few other books. The winning bids came to just over $3,000.

I get an invoice overnight and they added $137 fto insure the package. I just got off the phone with them and they won't waive it even though I can send them a copy of my own insurance which covers any shipping.  They added a 16% premium ,which I expected, but then they charged $1.50 per $100 on the premium amount ,as well.  Talking to the guy on the phone, I got the feeling they don't actually take out insurance, they just self insure. 

On 11/16/2021 at 9:03 AM, Wipple said:

I try to avoid the auction houses as the fees are ridiculous. You did say that you have been buying for a few months. Did you question the insurance prior to this invoice?

No, because it rarely came to more than three or five dollars and wasn't worth bringing up. Last week, they charged me 1.87 for insuring a package worth $224. I'm not going to waste the persons time complaining about a sum like that. 

On 11/16/2021 at 7:44 AM, shadroch said:

I've been buying a few things from an small out of state auction house for a few months. I think I've bought from about ten auctions and my biggest invoice was less than $500.

Last week they had a decent run of SA comics and I ended up winning Daredevil 1,3,4,5,6, Spiderman 16, 17 and a few other books. The winning bids came to just over $3,000.

I get an invoice overnight and they added $137 fto insure the package. I just got off the phone with them and they won't waive it even though I can send them a copy of my own insurance which covers any shipping.  They added a 16% premium ,which I expected, but then they charged $1.50 per $100 on the premium amount ,as well.  Talking to the guy on the phone, I got the feeling they don't actually take out insurance, they just self insure. 

who?

It's a small auction house that occasionally has some steals so I prefer not to disclose their name. They don't specialize in either comics or cards but do get collections in.  Until recently, they weren't on many peoples radar so I'd get some steals. Last year I got a TTA 35 for under $100 and a Superman 78 for $15.

On 11/16/2021 at 9:56 AM, shadroch said:

It's a small auction house that occasionally has some steals so I prefer not to disclose their name. They don't specialize in either comics or cards but do get collections in.  Until recently, they weren't on many peoples radar so I'd get some steals. Last year I got a TTA 35 for under $100 and a Superman 78 for $15.

Oh, so it's Heritage. 

On 11/16/2021 at 8:56 AM, shadroch said:

i guess being ripped off on insurance is the price to pay for getting some steals while dealing with this smaller, secret auction house. if it were me, i'd still refuse to pay it. good luck to you. 

I called back, spoke to the same person who told me he had asked someone else about it and we came to a solution. I'm creating my own label and emailing it to him, in essence shipping it to myself .  The rep said 98% of their lots sell locally and some auctions it is 100%.