• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

All-Time Shadow thread...

71 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2021 at 9:10 PM, Robot Man said:

Almost embarrassed to post this one. But, that has never stopped me before. :roflmao:

Such a beater but got it in a collection many years ago. Thought about dumping it several times but such a classic and hasn’t been posted yet. 

599A5AE9-9666-4E41-9238-38BA86D1C3B4.jpeg

I'll have to preface my comment by stating that I guess no one in their right mind would prefer this "beat" cover to a mint one. Now having said that, I feel perfectly comfortable in stating that I love the worn look of this cover and think it fits right in with the history, theme and character. I myself would actually love to have this copy framed on my office wall instead of a mint cover that looks like it was printed yesterday. 

On 4/17/2023 at 9:49 AM, Professor Echo said:

I'll have to preface my comment by stating that I guess no one in their right mind would prefer this "beat" cover to a mint one. Now having said that, I feel perfectly comfortable in stating that I love the worn look of this cover and think it fits right in with the history, theme and character. I myself would actually love to have this copy framed on my office wall instead of a mint cover that looks like it was printed yesterday. 

I "think" I'm in my right mind. But I am a collector "of opportunity". When something turns up I really like (almost any condition), I usually grab it or wish I had. Many times, I can upgrade down the road and many times I can't. Just rather have it than not. And, like you eluded to, often books show their well loved life and patina. Holding a book like this makes you wonder the life it has lived. 

That, being said, I would still love to have a copy that looks like it was printed yesterday...

On 4/18/2023 at 12:29 AM, Robot Man said:

I "think" I'm in my right mind. But I am a collector "of opportunity". When something turns up I really like (almost any condition), I usually grab it or wish I had. Many times, I can upgrade down the road and many times I can't. Just rather have it than not. And, like you eluded to, often books show their well loved life and patina. Holding a book like this makes you wonder the life it has lived. 

That, being said, I would still love to have a copy that looks like it was printed yesterday...

I can understand and appreciate that and I enjoy your perspective very much.  I definitely think there are no absolute right or wrong ways to collect, just individual ways with varying degrees of similarities and differences. Occasionally each of us might feel in the minority with our ideas and ideals on the subject, but I like to think-or at least hope-there are enough empty long boxes to fill for all of us. 

On 4/18/2023 at 9:47 AM, Professor Echo said:

I can understand and appreciate that and I enjoy your perspective very much.  I definitely think there are no absolute right or wrong ways to collect, just individual ways with varying degrees of similarities and differences. Occasionally each of us might feel in the minority with our ideas and ideals on the subject, but I like to think-or at least hope-there are enough empty long boxes to fill for all of us. 

The only wrong way to collect is being too rigid or dogmatic about what to buy or what grade it's in. I've passed over very low grade items before now expecting to find better, but never have so you regret being snobby over grade sometimes. No longer I can tell you! I like your line about there being enough long boxes....but make them short boxes, please! I can no longer lug a full long box around. :peace: