• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I miss covers with substance
3 3

273 posts in this topic

On 11/28/2021 at 5:56 PM, Shawn Everidge said:

If you see the art being put out now as bad, I really don't know what to tell you. It's all subjective, but I love how many of the stories are being told as well as the stories themselves. I'm just really getting tired of people like yourself telling us that we need to do more reading to come around to your thinking. I've read plenty. I have my opinion, and it's just as valid as yours. You are not the arbiter of excellence in art and storytelling.

Wah, Waaaaaaaah!

download.jpeg.2b6d2e226c578656f75cbf9b2c9f7f4c.jpeg

On 11/26/2021 at 6:32 PM, kav said:

Apparently there is nothing modern that is bad.  Its all super awesome and if someone criticizes it, theyre just get off my lawners.
Sheer logic shows this is ridiculous.  There are plenty of things that are worse now than in the past.  A refrigerator used to last 50 years.  Now they are designed to wear out in 12.  Thats just one example.

Sturgeon's Law.

And you and I know there were plenty of really crappy comics "back in the day." Similarly, I'd put books done by Mark Waid, Garth Ennis, Grant Morrison, many others, up there in the same level of many of those well loved older books.

On 11/28/2021 at 6:26 PM, Lazyboy said:

Most of Alan Moore's ABC work barely makes or even doesn't make the 20 year time frame. It was really that long ago. :whatthe:

Miller as well.  They were by far my favorite of the 80s, but I don't think I like a single thing by either one in the last 20 years.  The DK sequels were particularly atrocious, imo.

The only alan moore i like is watchmen, miracleman, top ten and promethea.  everything else bores me to tears.  and I wasnt so happy with a superhero team called "the five swell guys" in promethea either.

On 11/28/2021 at 4:31 PM, Randall Dowling said:
On 11/28/2021 at 4:18 PM, Lazyboy said:

Too far. Even Marvel has something in that range, though you may not appreciate the covers. :nyah:

Maybe the Bendis run on Daredevil?  I still wouldn't put that up there with those other writers but that's just me.  What else would you recommend?

There is a link in my post to the end of my Marvel reading/collecting. :gossip:

Otherwise, I gave up on DC in 2011 and I haven't really read many new comics since TWD ended, or even before that, really. I've rarely been that focused on new releases, but that doesn't mean I think they're all bad.

On 11/28/2021 at 3:46 PM, LarsUmlaut said:

Swamp Thing bored you to tears?

I read it when it came out-perhaps a reread would change my mind.  

On 11/28/2021 at 5:29 PM, Poekaymon said:

Miller as well.  They were by far my favorite of the 80s, but I don't think I like a single thing by either one in the last 20 years.  The DK sequels were particularly atrocious, imo.

I didn't say Moore's more recent work (as relatively limited as it is) was bad, just that ABC barely qualifies as being published in the last 20 years. Miller is a different story (and art :sick:).

On 11/28/2021 at 10:41 PM, LarsUmlaut said:

I would recommend doing drugs before reading Grant Morrison lol

He's read Planetary, Warren Ellis's work, so he should be fine with Morrison's.

On 11/28/2021 at 11:29 PM, NoMan said:

I miss covers with substance abuse

Yup.  Was it really necessary to stick a big chunk of plastic onto this?

606729.jpg

On 11/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, Randall Dowling said:

I grew up reading stories by Stan Lee, Roy Thomas, Archie Goodwin, Chris Claremont, and other great story tellers in comics.

Sure, that's some good stuff. Among a bunch of stuff that would match up well with the modern drivel you've spoken of.

And I am also a big Claremont fan, but I do have to say... in the last couple years, I was reading Classic X-Men for the new backup stories (as I had read the original stories being reprinted long ago), but I would read some of the reprints, too. While the earlier "All New X-Men" stories certainly weren't , I wasn't really drawn into actually reading the entire comic like I was once it got to the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix storyline. A lot of it left me kinda, eh. Which surprised me, as I remember it all being rather great.

On 11/28/2021 at 1:45 PM, Randall Dowling said:

If anyone thinks anything printed in the last 20 years compares to any of that, then you've got a lot of reading to do.

I would say, so do you.

If you want a start, go to comics.org and put "Mark Waid" and "Garth Ennis" and "Kurt Busiek" and "Warren Ellis" and "Brian K. Vaughan" into the search box. That should give you plenty to read for a while.

On 11/28/2021 at 5:32 PM, LarsUmlaut said:

Ah.

Hmm.

Well, ok then, I was going by the last issues published of each title which was c.2010 lol

Probably half of Moore's ABC work falls just outside the range and, though he was obviously the driving force behind ABC, he was not involved with every issue.