• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I miss covers with substance
3 3

273 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2021 at 12:46 PM, ttfitz said:
On 11/29/2021 at 12:26 PM, kav said:

Any self absorbed kid back in my day was mocked mercilessly.

FTFY.

You got me that time.
Ah just like the old days :cloud9:

This just in for all the young whippersnappers arguing stuff is better now-got this PM:

I bought a new fridge/ freezer.

It broke 2 weeks later

Tech cant come out over weekend - the wifey ain't happy.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:02 PM, kav said:

This just in for all the young whippersnappers arguing stuff is better now-got this PM:

It broke 2 weeks later

Thanks for the update! 

On 12/3/2021 at 9:02 PM, kav said:

It broke 2 weeks later

Truthfully, if I was going to have a fridge (or most anything) break down, I would prefer it to be in the first two weeks. Always gonna be duds, best to sort that stuff out early. It's why most folks who build their own computers know to run stress-test software for the first day or two.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:58 PM, ttfitz said:

Truthfully, if I was going to have a fridge (or most anything) break down, I would prefer it to be in the first two weeks. Always gonna be duds, best to sort that stuff out early. It's why most folks who build their own computers know to run stress-test software for the first day or two.

I'll tell 'im to pass on to wife.
But yeah 2 weeks better than 2 years when warranty expired.

On 12/3/2021 at 8:02 PM, kav said:

It broke 2 weeks later

My grandma has the same fridge now that she got when I was about 5 years old. I'm 43 now.

On 12/3/2021 at 9:37 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

My grandma has the same fridge now that she got when I was about 5 years old. I'm 43 now.

boomers = awesome

On 12/3/2021 at 8:02 PM, kav said:

It broke 2 weeks later

I feel your pain though. Our chest freezer that we got second-hand - and it was beat up then - recently went belly up after owning it for 15 years, and literally about two weeks before we were going to take delivery of a 1/4 cow that we bought and was at the butcher's. I believe the freezer was about 25-30 years old total. We got a new one, and it's nice, but it doesn't feel as heavy-duty as the one we had to get rid of. I'm sure it's more energy efficient, but that old one was a tank.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

On 12/3/2021 at 9:43 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I feel your pain though. Our chest freezer that we got second-hand - and it was beat up then - recently went belly up after owning it for 15 years, and literally about two weeks before we were going to take delivery of a 1/4 cow that we bought and was at the butcher's. I believe the freezer was about 25-30 years old total. We got a new one, and it's nice, but it doesn't feel as heavy-duty as the one we had to get rid of. I'm sure it's more energy efficient, but that old one was a tank.

well at least you can surf the web on the new one.  for couple weeks before it craps out I mean.

On 11/27/2021 at 9:54 AM, Randall Ries said:

More accurate description. Just because you can't hack it doesn't mean it isn't true. Show me a more self absorbed generation. Please. Hint: You will have to wait until YOUR kids are teenagers.

Your opinion is not empirical fact. Just because it's shared by other older members here STILL doesn't make it fact. It's frankly a little bit disgusting the way some of you are coming down on younger members and people in general, generalising them as all the tired old tropes of greedy and self-centred, just for utilising the technology of the day, same as you did in yours with what was available. Newsflash: if you were their age today you'd be doing the SAME things. 

You really ARE being a grumpy old man out of touch with it all, and I hope you're not, but you're giving yourself a bad image here and now. Treat others fairly if you want the same treatment. 

I'm also dismayed at the current state of things, particularly Marvel, but it is what it is. Maybe I'm no longer the audience, and that's okay. I've still got decades of material to read whenever I want, and much more still to collect before I run out of 'my' comics. Maybe by the time I do comics will appeal to me again. Who knows? 

It seems to me that there are a lot of very cool posters on the fronts of comic books today. 

I like cool posters. I like 'em on my wall and at the movie theatre. I even like 'em in the subway.

I don't particularly like 'em on the front of my comic books.

A poster and a comic book cover are not interchangeable. The qualities that make a poster successful may overlap with the qualities that make a comic cover successful, but they aren't the same.

A poster is successful when:

• It is cool and interesting to look at
  • It makes you feel some kinda way

A comic book cover is successful when:

• It is cool and interesting to look at
  • It gets you excited about the story you could be reading
  • It makes you need to know what happens next
  • It makes you want to buy that comic book rather than the comic next to it

Here are two comic books from 2016, same series and same artist. One has a poster and one has a comic book cover. 

54307255_AllNewAllDifferentAvengersposter(13).thumb.png.8787363fc6a22891e6b68193a6d392f6.png

1513783064_AllNewAllDifferentAvengerswordballooncover(5).thumb.png.91f3a4e3ed4a23df2c4fa68f32ae0de4.png

(And yeah, Alex Ross' art may lend itself more to posters than comic book covers, but I'm trying to compare apples to apples here as best I can.)

On 12/4/2021 at 6:00 AM, Off Panel said:

To my peers who swore off new comics because Marvel restarted Amazing Spider-man's numbering after issue 441 or DC retconned out a ton of history with The New 52 or Jane Foster got to be Thor for a while, I'm going to give it to you straight: you're missing out.

I agree.  In previous Ages, were Spider-Man and Thor comics, for example, always consistent, were they never patchy, mediocre or even very poorly-written and / or poorly-drawn, and, despite that, somehow still considered superior to the modern versions, at their best?

Rather than give up in defeat, hasn't it always been the case, then and now, to look around at other material to find the best being published at any particular time, rather than tar everything, without examination and comparison, with the brush of a singular, brief, Modern Age misfire such as One More Day?

It strikes me as ongoing, detached confirmation bias, not truth by way of exploration, immersion or experience. Regardless of my chronological age, I've always gone for the latter.

Edited by Ken Aldred