• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

One of, if not the - coolest stores I've ever been to - and it's local. Pulps, posters, toys, artwork and more...
2 2

86 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, shadroch said:

Whether you are a collector, or are looking for a special gift, you must experience the wonderful wares at Xenophile, Bibliopole, Armorer, & Chronopolis. 2240 Robertson Road, just off the Vantage highway.

If only they bothered to tell those of us not familiar with Vantage Highway what town, or even what state they are in.

Richland, WA off the 240 bypass (east side of Wa State by the Columbia River).

On 11/29/2021 at 9:34 AM, shadroch said:

Whether you are a collector, or are looking for a special gift, you must experience the wonderful wares at Xenophile, Bibliopole, Armorer, & Chronopolis. 2240 Robertson Road, just off the Vantage highway.

If only they bothered to tell those of us not familiar with Vantage Highway what town, or even what state they are in.

Richland, Washington.  The address is near the bottom in the "contact us" box.  It took me a while to find it, too.

If you're a World War II buff, this general area is interesting to visit.  Richland is not far from the Hanford Reservation where they produced the plutonium for the Atomic Bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan.  Tours have been available although I'm not sure the status under Covid.  Richland High School's nickname is "The Bombers." :)

RHS_2.png

On 11/29/2021 at 10:15 AM, MattTheDuck said:

If you're a World War II buff, this general area is interesting to visit.  Richland is not far from the Hanford Reservation where they produced the plutonium for the Atomic Bomb dropped on Nagasaki, Japan.  Tours have been available although I'm not sure the status under Covid.  Richland High School's nickname is "The Bombers." :)

RHS_2.png

The owners retired from Hanford and I currently work there.  The conference room section of the store is devoted to Hanford and the bomb with signed letters from Einstein and Oppenheimer (not for sale but cool).  The tour is pretty cool as well as it includes the B reactor where Enrico Fermi worked.

Edited by HighRadArt

On 11/29/2021 at 10:31 AM, HighRadArt said:

The owners retired from Hanford and I currently work there.  The conference room section of the store is devoted to Hanford and the bomb with signed letters from Einstein and Oppenheimer (not for sale but cool).

Ooo, so you can get me one of those great unshielded plutonium samples as a souvenir when I visit in 2022?  Fantastic!

I do plan on getting up there next year, assuming we continue on the "return to normal" path in a general way.

On 11/29/2021 at 6:45 AM, HighRadArt said:

I recently visited a local store and it was like a sci-fi convention under one roof.  The two shop owners have been collecting for decades and told me their wives were very happy when they decided to open a store and get all the collectables out of the house.  They don't have very many comics but I've never seen so many pulps for sale in one place.  There were old toys and movie posters everywhere and original art tucked away in various drawers and on the walls.

I have a few pics but they also have a virtual tour of their approx. 6000 ft2 shop as well.

The name of the shop is "XENOPHILE BIBLIOPOLE & ARMORER, CHRONOPOLIS" and a link to the page... Link

1681802784_amazingstories.thumb.jpg.bce9b26cc38a22046d59f4913d299324.jpg 

pulps.thumb.jpg.84a5251a3056a0857e2e4afac8d71776.jpg

1309663703_weirdtales.thumb.jpg.26fb23cbd27f6a1fb69169df042c84e2.jpg

Astounding.thumb.jpg.6ca07cc64fd00d0d574c67e8e8d70b45.jpg

Toys2.thumb.jpg.a669428b3d74eaab140461e9117a69cf.jpg

Argosy.jpg

Thanks for the info. I've had to go through that area 2-3 times per year heading to wildfire assignments. However, I usually dodge the tri-cities, skirting down around Lake Wallula, and just clipping a tiny part of Pasco before heading on, in an effort to avoid all the downtown BS.

If I end up heading through there again next summer, I will definitely try to budget some time for this store - it looks fascinating! :banana: 

On 11/29/2021 at 1:31 PM, sckao said:

Small world... I used to live in Richland, WA briefly. I remember there was a small, used bookstore there that carried comic books called the Bookworm.

Unfortunately, the book worm closed.  Now there's Frontier and Adventures Underground and they both are pretty much copper and modern.

Ah... too bad. I remember my brother and I used to ride our bikes along the park path along the river to the original (?) location. They kept some comics in the corner and had the rest of them stacked in heaps in a tiny unfinished closet near the back.

(Now, I know they were in terrible condition and were mostly drek... but at the time, it was a magical place.)

Edited by sckao

On 11/29/2021 at 1:00 PM, kazoo said:

what are the prices like, for anyone that has been there?

I think they're on the high side but I'm cheap.  Two collectors (hoarders) that are not in a hurry to let go.  The owner did mention he needs to clear some inventory as he has enough to fill the store again.

On 11/29/2021 at 12:21 PM, Lightning55 said:

Local means "On this continent!"

Just 3000 miles away from me.

Just 400 miles away from me.