• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PLEASE READ - A Message from George Perez
6 6

104 posts in this topic

Wow...this is horrible news. My heart goes out to George Perez and his family.

I've been a huge fan of his work since his early days on Avengers, and finally had the chance to meet him back in 2006 at SDCC. He was so happy and upbeat, and genuinely enjoyed interacting with his fans.

He donated his time to ACTOR (now The Hero Initiative) at that show, and I was a lucky enough to win a raffle ticket for a sketch...I asked for a Scarlet Witch, and it's one of my most treasured convention sketches.

I hope he gets to enjoy the rest of his time with as little pain and as much love as is possible.

What a gut punch.

I met George at Mikes Comic Hut in Flushing around 1976. He was a regular fixture there in those days.  Just a really nice guy who made friends instantly. 

He ended up becoming one of my favorite artist and his "jumping" to DC revived my interest in the company. 

I'm not sure what else to say....

On 12/7/2021 at 2:31 PM, miraclemet said:

Gutted. 

Have had a relative deal with a similar diagnosis. It's all about palliative care at this point, I hope he has all the care and comfort he needs. 

My George story, which is a similar story to many of your stories, came back at Dragon Con about 6 years ago. George (in his trademark Hawaiian shirt) was late getting back to his table after a lunch break and I was there in Artist Alley (Room) waiting for him. About 10 minutes late he came scampering in the door getting corralled by his handler, plops down in his seat and starts apologizing for being late (no one was mad) and starts just extoling how much fun he has at this con and talking about all the amazing cosplayers he's run into and how it's impossible for them to expect him to stay at his seat when there's "SO MUCH AMAZING GOING ON JUST OUTSIDE THAT DOOR!" 

It was a joy to see someone loving the community he'd help create and foster through his work. 

It was totally worth lugging my COIE and JLA/Avengers Absolutes through the convention to get them signed by George. 

The several times I met George were all at DragonCon, and he is just the best. Couldn't be more generous with his time, and seemed endlessly positive.

I can't imagine what he's going through, but putting on this brave face, it's remarkable. Great talent and great guy. 

Without a doubt, one of the greatest super-hero comic artists of all time, a brilliant storyteller, always putting 100% effort and incredible detail into his work, and, one of the nicest creators you could ever hope to meet at a convention.

Extremely sad to learn that another of my comics icons is suffering this way.