• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PLEASE READ - A Message from George Perez
6 6

104 posts in this topic

Heartbreaking.  Seems like such a wonderful man, and his contribution to comics is on the legendary level. 

The only part of his note which made me smile a bit, was that when he retired he was, as is of course appropriate, showered with tributes… so at least he got to hear all the wonderful things people think and feel about him rather than it all being after he is gone.

On 12/7/2021 at 9:54 PM, Drummy said:

One of my first comics ever was FF #172; I was seven years old.  I

Very similar for me, a little older though, but Perez’s FF and Avengers comics were some of the first I collected off the newsstand when I started in the late 70s. 

I never had the pleasure to meet George, but you always knew he was more than just someone who pushed a pencil around.   You always heard great stories of things he did for people.  I send him and his family prayers and good vibes as he enters the last part of his journey.

The part of his statement that tugs at the heart strings the most:
I also hope that I will be able to make one last public appearance wherein I can be photographed with as many of my fans as possible, with the proviso that I get to hug each and every one of them. I just want to be able to say goodbye with smiles as well as tears.

What a truly great guy.  Doubt he will see this, but as I have told so many other great creators before him.  "Thank You" 

Edited by toro

Blessed to have gotten the chance to meet him twice, especially his last C2E2 convention. What a gentleman! Appreciated his art style and stories of my youth. Thank you George and god speed on your journey.

This is so sad to hear. Perez is one of the artists who shaped my love for comics, as I'm sure he did for many others here.

As a Batman fan, when I envision my "ideal" versions of characters, there is a specific artist for each, i.e., Batman (Neal Adams), Batgirl (Carmine Infantino), Joker (Brian Bolland). My ideal Robin will forever be George's version of Richard Grayson.

Edited by Jesse-Lee

Awful news. Cancer is truly terrible. I was fortunate enough to briefly meet him on a couple of occasions at cons and got some sketches. He's just always so full of life that this turn can really make one think the universe is more than uncaring, it's sometimes downright cruel.

I know that isn't true, not really. But it sucks terribly all the same.

I hope he has a marvelous final era in his life and spends his time left in as little pain as possible.

On 2/8/2022 at 1:05 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

That is extremely saddening.  I really feel for him and his family.  It be extra hard when having to make trips back and forth to the hospital.  I really hope he pulls through this and is able to rejoin his family at home. 

Thank you for the update.

That's just such a morale boost on its own, being able to go home, and be comfortable in your own surrounds. Let's hope he's strong enough to make it that far, and see that happen.