• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How, or why, did you start collecting comics? Here's my story....
4 4

57 posts in this topic

On 12/7/2021 at 10:32 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I'll give you the how and the why. I'll also give you when. You already know the who and the what. The where is different places in MI.

Then, as a kid: My dad took me to comic book shops and forced* me to find something that I liked. It was always X-Men related.

Now: Circa 2014 I simply wanted to get to the source material of all the movies I was watching. I bought stuff like The Dark Knight Returns, and Marvel Masterworks, and it boomed from there.

*Not really. We wanted to be there.

Wish I knew how to tell a shorter story.  I'm always a bit long-winded when I discuss something I'm passionate about. :x

I'm not sure if I have an origin story per se.

I grew up collecting baseball cards at the year 1987-1990, the most printed era. I had gaming magazines too.

Every once in a while I'd read comics in a store awaiting anything good. I helped myself to give finger discounts throughout the years, then later felt bad and gave them all away.

I kept the ones parents bought, and when X-Men the animated series came out, I got a marvel subscription to two titles: ASM classics and wolverine issues after the loss of ADAMANTIUM.

To say I collected anything was an over statement. I knew stories from friends but mostly did my collecting in 2014-2015. Discovered the registry in 2015, signed up but didn't have slabs to add. I then discovered the boards and lurked for about 6 months while at college, and I joined in 2016 to ask about signature series, since I had participated at cons with Stan Lee.

It was a "lot" but not so much to "tell".

I get more exited telling the origin of cons for me and my brother, as that was all impromptu, along with first signature series at those cons. I've told that before, but that was when I decided to keep going with officially "collecting!"

Back in the latter half of the 70's, I remember my father walking down the basement and tossing me a Flash comic (which prob turned it from a 9.4 into a 8.5!).  I don't remember the details but I must have mentioned it to a friend at school was was currently collecting. He got me to meet him at a local pharmacy where we headed to the spinner rack at the back of the store.  He was a DC collector so I started with mostly DC's. I was prob using allowance money back then.

From there we took occasional trips on the bus/train into center city Philly to visit the comic book store and compared our stashes on the trip home. Eventually a shop opened up in my area which I rode my bike to and poured my paper route dollars into.  Prob collected about a dozen years

I have always been a bit of a nerd.  I started getting odds and ends just from the cover in the late 80s/early 90s when I would go random places with my Dad that was trying to get new business (he sold paper products to businesses).

Most of the comics I had as a kid have been lost to the black hole of time.  But I still have the most memorable of them (for me anyways) -  Infinity Gauntlet #1 (CGC 9.8 SS with Perez and Rubinsten sigs) and Wolverine #41 (raw).

I have jumped around a bunch over the years, now more settled in getting stuff I enjoy reading and mostly indie books.  Along with working on at least raw all the appearances of Thanos.

Read them casually until 4th Grade. My friend Danny LOVED comics! He drew a lot like a young Kirby and would make sound effects while drawing the Human Torch, or growl while he drew the Hulk smashing through a wall. I was hooked and all the people that made money off of me in this industry owes Danny a percentage.

Posted my not-super-exciting story in this thread a little bit ago. 

https://boards.cgccomics.com/topic/481719-stories-about-our-first-contact-that-sealed-our-love-for-comics-in-general/#comment-11567388

Funny I was already thinking about it with the George Perez news today.  

Edited by Axelrod

On 12/7/2021 at 12:54 PM, Axelrod said:

That's why I didn't look for a similar thread...that one is probably buried in the forums by now.  Thanks for including the link though. (thumbsu  

Looks like it didn't get a lot of traction...maybe we can do so with this one. (worship)

In regards to collecting, today I claimed a slab that was signed by George Perez (among others).  Then I read a thread a fellow boardie started earlier today AFTER I snagged it.  The thread was in regards to his current health crisis.  I thought it as bad/poor timing, but I did offer to the seller he could keep it instead of selling it to me.  He graciously declined. (worship)  That slab was going into my PC anyway.  I still have hopes for Mr. Perez…you just never know. 😕🙂

On 12/7/2021 at 8:59 PM, kav said:

I was at a news stand and saw this comic of a guy in like a trapeze costume lifting a green car.  I was mesmerized.  Bought every copy they had-15.
I wonder if they worth anything today.

So you're, like, a hundred years old???

:drumroll:

Edited by Galen130

On 12/7/2021 at 9:03 PM, Galen130 said:

So you're, like, a hundred years old???

:drumroll:

I has to fix my sentence structure here.  I don't want to be mistaken for an uneducated nerd...:yeehaw:

I can't remember the how or why. I do remember posting in that first comic shop topic around here. I was attempting to recall that comic shop but couldn't. Yet I did post what was probably my first comic. And I remembered some of the old mall bookstores that are no longer around that sold comics.

On 12/8/2021 at 3:59 AM, kav said:

I was at a news stand and saw this comic of a guy in like a trapeze costume lifting a green car.  I was mesmerized.  Bought every copy they had-15.
I wonder if they worth anything today.

It wasn’t drawn by Curt Swan, so to you it’s most likely worthless drek now.