• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man: No Way Home SPOILERS WELCOMED thread
2 2

168 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2021 at 8:27 AM, Bosco685 said:

I loved the movie, but I really loved seeing Garfield get some redemption when he saves MJ. Yeah they all had tragedies, but his was the hardest and he never got his 3rd movie to see the character move on 

Also I was right about Aunt May @Bosco685

On 12/19/2021 at 5:03 PM, jsilverjanet said:

I loved the movie, but I really loved seeing Garfield get some redemption when he saves MJ. Yeah they all had tragedies, but his was the hardest and he never got his 3rd movie to see the character move on 

Also I was right about Aunt May @Bosco685

You mean the thing with the banana?

:baiting:

I make every effort to avoid spoilers, although there are some things it's just impossible not to find out about unless I crawl under the house for 18 months or something before the release.  I was very pleased to see Charlie Cox in this movie if only briefly, as I greatly enjoyed the NFLX Daredevil series.  I am hopeful that foreshadows the remainder of the NFLX series actors/characters could be in future MCU projects, although I could probably live without Iron Fist.  I thought all the "reveals" were very well handled, villains and Spider-Men.  I was surprised at the amount of screen time Strange received, but thought they did a pretty good job of dividing up the villain's time.  I suspect there's a hierarchy if someone did a "number of minutes on screen" tally like they did with Avengers.  The other thing that surprised me in a less positive way was Ned's mastery of portals.  This took Strange quite a bit longer, but he of course was injured and really a disbeliever, whereas Ned was all-in on the idea of magic.

I very much appreciate the cooperation between Sony and Marvel/Disney that led here.

Edited by MattTheDuck
Because sometimes words I type don't show up

On 12/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I make every effort to avoid spoilers, although there are some things it's just impossible not to find out about unless I crawl under the house for 18 months or something before the release.  I was very pleased to see Charlie Cox in this movie if only briefly, as I greatly enjoyed the NFLX Daredevil series.  I am hopeful that foreshadows the remainder of the NFLX series actors/characters could be in future MCU projects, although I could probably live with Iron Fist.  I thought all the "reveals" were very well handled, villains and Spider-Men.  I was surprised at the amount of screen time Strange received, but thought they did a pretty good job of dividing up the villain's time.  I suspect there's a hierarchy if someone did a "number of minutes on screen" tally like they did with Avengers.  The other thing that surprised me in a less positive way was Ned's mastery of portals.  This took Strange quite a bit longer, but he of course was injured and really a disbeliever, whereas Ned was all-in on the idea of magic.

I very much appreciate the cooperation between Sony and Marvel/Disney that led here.

From interviews with Feige, it sounds like it was the strong partnership with Pascal that helped the both of them to convince all these actors to come back.

That was impressive to hear about.

On 12/19/2021 at 10:14 AM, Broke as a Joke said:

Had alot of fun with the family seeing this yesterday.  Helped that I made the kids watch Raimi's trilogy recently due to the rumors.

We watched all 7 Spidey movies over the last 2 months in anticipation of what was going to happen in this movie.  Glad we did as it refreshed my memory and helped my 15 year old understand most of the call backs.  

The back cracking scene was obviously a reference to Tobeys "fake" injury, right?  

My son saw this movie separately from us, so we just got to talk about it this evening… and he had some questions about the final spell.  When I was answering them (obviously just in the way that makes sense to me) I realized that most of my answers were coming from this way this was handled in the comics, and specifically in the Spider-Man and the Fantastic Four mini-series. I briefly looked and couldn’t figure out which series it was, sorry.

Regardless, in the series, Spidey had to go back with the FF, I think to Innerspace, to revisit a previous adventure they’d done as a fivesome.  During the mission, Torch was mad that for whatever reason he couldn’t remember who Spidey was. When they arrived there were statues of the five “heroes” and the Spider-Man statue had his mask off.  Torch was thrilled but when he looked at it, the face of the statue was blurred. And obviously he was even more incensed.

Eventually, Peter relented and removed his mask… and when he did, the entire FF remembered knowing him and all the past “blind spots” were cleared up.

My point is, I imagine that the MCU will handle it in a fashion similar to this.  In other words, Flash still wrote his book… but people reading it would just gloss over the stuff about Peter. JJJ knows he made his career attacking Spider-Man, but no one remembers the part about his secret identity.  MJ knows she got the Black Dalia necklace while helping Spider-Man in Europe, but there’s no Peter in her memory, etc.  Records aren’t removed… people just don’t see them.  So everything Spider-Man has done in the MCU happened. Technically he’s still an Avenger if that exists, but no one knows who he is under the mask, that’s all.

Until Peter reveals himself to them again, or whatever way they use to break through the spell, Peter Parker remains hidden.

It would seem logical he’d reveal himself to Dr. Strange… and maybe he will after MOM but who knows? It allows the MCU time and a lot of different ways to regrow the character. As incredible as it was, they were certainly boxed in to a corner with Peter as the “most famous person in the world.” That was not going to allow for a trio of college movies. 😂

Anyway, since I literally just shared that theory with my son… I figured I’d share it here to see what people thought?  Obviously we’re all just guessing… but those comics (wish I could find them) definitely colored my judgement of that spell in the movie.

On 12/20/2021 at 2:31 AM, Larryw7 said:

I wonder if Ned becomes a villain at some point? There was some foreshadowing in some of what he said.

Oh yeah. They have made that clear. And now that he doesn't know Peter, there will be no restraints to worry about. My feeling is WHEN it will happen.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:13 PM, MV said:

How does the spell at the end work? Does MJ wonder who this random guy is that she has 100 photos of on her mobile phone? 

On 12/17/2021 at 5:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

I was thinking how the spell works is not only do they forget who he is but also any reference that would allow them to know who he is. Including pictures and voicemail.

Even poor Happy didn't know he was Aunt May's relative after all they had been through.

Correct.  This was indicated by Peter studying to take his GED by evidence of the GED study guide.  This would mean that the school has no record of him. It’s not merely that the teachers do not recognize him or remember him but all records of his existence have been erased.  

As @PeteFromPetesBasement and I left I remember saying to him, “Well he no longer has to pay taxes so at least he’s got that going for him which is nice.”

My question was how he exists in the world or obtained an identity for Peter Parker without a line of credit, birth certificate, license, or anything else. 

It was too obvious from the trailer scene what was going to take place. But it still was quite exciting and emotional.

On 11/18/2021 at 3:34 PM, Bosco685 said:

I have a feeling they may even have Andrew Garfield swing in to save her in the end to undo the painful experience he went through in his own universe.

:banana::banana: