• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man: No Way Home SPOILERS WELCOMED thread
2 2

168 posts in this topic

Saw it last week. I really enjoyed the movie, I think the best out of the 3 new MCU/Sony projects.  However, up until now Holland hasn’t bothered me like some but in this he was annoying.  And it was cool seeing Eddie at the end especially since I just recently watched Venom Let there be Carnage. 

On 12/17/2021 at 11:58 AM, HotKey said:

If they want to be true to comics they will get someone like Brock Lesnar.

Who are they going to get to do the voice over?

I'm amazed his brain cells cooperate enough to move that bulk around all day 

On 12/27/2021 at 6:55 AM, Jayman said:

Strange is supposed to be the Sorcerer Supreme and it was a bit out of character for him to let this spell get so out of hand, especially at the end. So I’m wondering if things got so crazy for him to control due to the events that happened on the finale of Loki. Could these two events have coincided to help unleash the Multiverse?

Yes, the string all leads to be able to have the Kang premise work

Whats concerning is what happens AFTER Kang. I think the MCU might be burned out

Maguire, who played Spider-Man in three films from 2002-07, wanted to keep things quite minimal when it came to revelations about his character post-Spider-Man 3. Garfield, who starred in two Amazing Spider-Man films from 2012-14, embraced exploring the dark path his Peter Parker went down after the death of Gwen Stacy (Emma Stone) in Amazing Spider-Man 2. He also latched on to the notion that his version of Peter was the middle brother.

“They had great ideas that really elevated everything we were going for and added layers and an arc and we really actually started honing into the idea that these two guys were really helping Tom’s Peter on his journey to becoming who he ends up becoming,” says McKenna. “There’s a crucial, moral moment that they help him get through in the climax of the movie. So much of that was brought by Tobey and Andrew’s ideas and shaping of what they thought their characters could bring to this story.”

THR: Did Tobey and Andrew give input on that?

MCKENNA Tobey wanted to be very minimal about how much you know. Very, very minimal. Andrew really loved the idea of he’s still tortured over what happened in Amazing Spider-Man 2 and where that left him, and how they could bring that to Tom. “We can empathize with you. We do know what you are going through. If anyone in the world knows what you’re going through, it’s us.” But also, “We can be beacons.” Tobey especially has come through that darkness. We thought it was cool that Andrew’s Peter was still in the midst of that darkness. They weren’t just here to go, “Two awesome Jedi knight heroes who show up and are going to help you take down the bad guys.” They are going through their own things. We were trying to write up to the characters that they did such a great job of creating and really being true to those characters and those stories and those worlds so that it didn’t feel like we were doing curtain call, fan-service.

THR: I get the sense that Andrew’s Peter is in a better place at the end of this movie. The look Andrew gives after saving MJ is one of my favorites.

MCKENNA So moving. I loved MJ’s, “Are you OK?”

My 2nd viewing, on that typical opening Friday night, did not have the annoyances that the Thursday showing had. The high school demographic must've been the difference.

That being said, I enjoyed it about the same, if not slightly more. One of my primary criticisms was the BS spell to solve the problem, but I guess I initially overlooked that the spell wasn't the same as before, as he asked Doctor Strange to not only have the world forget that Peter Parker is Spider-Man, but forget that Peter Parker even exists.

Definitely one of the MCU's best. Oh, and would you look at that? Top 10 highest-grossing movie of all-time? Black Widow, Shang-Chi, and The Eternals combined couldn't save the theater industry, but it looks like Spider-Man did so alone.

Honestly, just thinking about this movie, Andrew Garfield is the #1 reason that I will re-watch it when it's out on Blu-ray. Dafoe's performance was probably 2nd-best.

The action sequences and fight choreography were incredible for an MCU film. Holland vs Green Goblin was creepy and spectacular.

On 12/17/2021 at 11:08 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Idk, his inferior Spidey Sense didn't stop him from being stabbed at the end. :devil:

That was my favourite part. Dude is in the middle of saving his life but fir the Goblin that's just the perfect opportunity to kill him.

I just wish we got to see more of the Goblin in his final look in the film but it was great none the less.

On 1/4/2022 at 8:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

So glad Willem Dafoe told them if only a cameo he was not interested. That character made the film that much more intense.

Willem Dafoe didn't play some kind of power card to force Marvel Studios and Pascal Pictures to completely change the screenplay and have a bigger role in the story. What he said was he wanted to do a lot of his own stunt work and action scenes and not just sit on the sidelines for them and not just step in for a face shot during an action sequence. He said he feels he can earn the right to be the character more if he also does his own action scenes. That's what he meant with the "cameo" line. Basically he wanted to be more like Brie Larson.

Here is a link to the story complete with misleading headline:

https://www.ign.com/articles/willem-dafoe-didnt-want-to-come-back-to-spider-man-if-it-was-just-a-cameo

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 1/5/2022 at 1:23 AM, William-James88 said:

I just wish we got to see more of the Goblin in his final look in the film but it was great none the less.

Idk, I think Dafoe's real face in No Way Home was way more Goblin-like than anything the makeup department could dream up.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

Spider-Man: No Way Home star Willem Dafoe says that one Green Goblin complaint affected the movie. In a conversation with The New York Times, the beloved actor admitted that some fans may not have been too fond of his grandiose helmet. The Goblin headwear is unmistakable if you've seen the 2001 Sam Raimi movie. With those weird translucent yellow eyes and pearlescent green paint, they grab attention. However, some members of the fanbase wanted a bit more comic-accurate version of Spider-Man's greatest nemesis. Dafoe was alright with obliging, and like the master craftsman he is, the star began to focus on what kind of opportunities this would open up for him. Unsurprisingly, the idea of being able to convey more emotion with his face really spoke to the Spider-Man villain. If the fan reactions are any indication, the change worked very well. Dafoe was able to win over another generation of Spider-Man fans with No Way Home.

"I must be honest, I am aware that there was some criticism of that [Green Goblin] mask in the original one," he explained. "We heard it enough that it was probably a consideration, to change it up a little bit. I don't think about that because I don't think about emoting with my face. My face follows my heart. It's just an expression of what you're feeling."

On 1/5/2022 at 5:44 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Idk, I think Dafoe's real face in No Way Home was way more Goblin-like than anything the makeup department could dream up.

We are on the same page then. I must not have been clear, I like how Green Goblin looked like. I really loved how the shredding of his civilian clothing and the combo with his armour under created a neat update to the classic Green Goblin garb with the purple hood. But because there were so many villains to deal with, we didn't have as much Goblin in that final look aside from the fist fight at the end. I just wanted more.