• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man: No Way Home SPOILERS WELCOMED thread
2 2

168 posts in this topic

Maybe positive reviews left my expectations too high, but I'm surprised by all the accolades this movie is getting.

For me, it was about a B-. What I did like was mostly in the first half, mostly just the jokes, the familiar characters, and cool easter eggs. The story didn't pull me in, and the emotional moments didn't connect for me. Killing Aunt May did not work for me, and I had a really tough time engaging with the film emotionally after that story choice. It just felt manipulative and forced. For me, Spider-Man works best as tragic comedy, not pure tragedy.

The story was thin, and mostly felt driven by stupid and reckless character choices. Really, you're just going to let your powerless friends and family get so close to 6 of the most dangerous villains in the multiverse??? The Doc Ock battle on the highway was neat, but the climactic battle of the movie felt like yet another big confusing CG battle. (It reminded me of the Venom/Sandman/Goblin fight in Spider-Man 3.)

My wife has never seen an MCU movie, but has seen the Raimi trilogy, thought it was "too referential" and "too long".

My kids (tweens) also give it around a B. My son just saw Homecoming, and liked that way better. He thought this was too sad, and also didn't like that May died.

My daughter, who has never seen a live-action Spider-Man, and couldn't care less about super-heroes, seemed to enjoy it most out of the four of us.

All my family has also seen Spider-verse, which we all agree was vastly superior.

Edited by adampasz

On 12/23/2021 at 10:49 AM, adampasz said:

Maybe positive reviews left my expectations too high, but I'm surprised by all the accolades this movie is getting.

For me, it was about a B-. What I did like was mostly in the first half, mostly just the jokes, the familiar characters, and cool easter eggs. The story didn't pull me in, and the emotional moments didn't connect for me. Killing Aunt May did not work for me, and I had a really tough time engaging with the film emotionally after that story choice. It just felt manipulative and forced. For me, Spider-Man works best as tragic comedy, not pure tragedy. The story was really thin, and mostly felt driven by stupid and reckless character choices. Like really, you're just going to let your powerless friends and family get so close to 6 of the most dangerous villains in the meta-verse? The Doc Ock battles was neat, but the climactic battle of the movie felt like just another big confusing CG battle. (It reminded me of the Venom/Sandman/Goblin fight in Spider-Man 3.)

My wife has never seen an MCU movie, but has seen the Raimi trilogy, thought it was "too referential" and "too long".

My kids (tweens) also give it around a B. My son just saw Homecoming, and liked that way better. He thought this was too sad, and also didn't like that May died.

My daughter has never seen a live-action Spider-Man, and couldn't care less about super-heroes, seemed to enjoy it most out of the four of us.

All my family has also seen Spider-verse, which they thought was way better.

I don't get the praise it's getting either. It's probably just nostalgia for better actors playing Spider-Man.

The plot made no sense and was just an excuse to bring in the multiverse, so we can see nostalgic for the better actors playing Spider-Man. 

Edited by D84

On 12/23/2021 at 4:54 PM, D84 said:

I don't get the praise it's getting either. It's probably just nostalgia for better actors playing Spider-Man.

The plot made no sense and was just an excuse to bring in the multiverse, so we can see nostalgic for the better actors playing Spider-Man. 

Yeah. Nostalgia factor is huge with this film. Our theater went nuts when the old Spideys showed up. Spider-Man is one of the greatest fictional characters of the last century, and I think audiences are bringing a lot of personal connections to this movie, and more power to them. I do find it a bit surprising that Andrew Garfield gets so much love now. Those movies came out to a pretty mixed reception at the time. I guess they've grown on people.

I hate being Debbie Downer, but I think it's a missed opportunity. They had all the ingredients for a masterpiece, if only the story had been better. Once Doctor Strange disappeared, it feels like a lot of the conflict and motivations became less interesting. The villains weren't really trying to do anything except be villains. They didn't have any kind of specific objective. There was no conflict between the Spideys, just jokes and positive vibes. And "curing" the villains with the magic Stark replicator felt like lazy writing.

Edited by adampasz

I just got back from seeing it with my family today.  I thought it was a good movie, but yeah I don't feel like it was a great movie and I cannot quite understand why everyone is "BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!" gaga over this movie.

The various reactions of my family are:

Me:  I'd give it a solid "B".  I feel like I got my monies worth, but nothing more.

Wife:  Bored to tears

19yr Son:  Solid "B".

13yr Son:  Ehh, "It was ok".

9yr Son:  said he didn't really like it.

Again it was a good movie, but based on the reviews/scores/posts on this board I was expecting to go in and be blown away.  

On 12/23/2021 at 9:03 AM, @therealsilvermane said:
On 12/22/2021 at 2:58 PM, Straw-Man said:

if true, why didn't mj and ned know him as pre-reveal peter when he walks into the diner?

I’ve only seen the movie once so far, but as I remember the last spell makes everyone completely forget who Peter Parker is, so MJ and Ned forgot that they ever knew him. And I suppose we have to just accept that this also must mean all written and video remembrance of Peter is also gone. Kinda like George Bailey except he did exist and did make a difference it’s just nobody remembers.

The entire reason the original spell went awry was having it apply to selective people who knew Peter was Spider-Man, and Strange couldn't keep the people from multiple universes from coming into ours that knew Peter's secret.  So Peter himself proposed to Strange how about we just wipe out all knowledge of my existence, and Strange said yep, that would work.  So that's what he did.  Whether or not physical records got wiped out (photos on MJ's phone, his school records, etc) is an open question with no real answer.

And why did it all work?

mgc.gif

Edited by fantastic_four

Sucks for you who didn’t like it or thought it was just ok. It was the most fun I’ve had at a movie since End Game, and I can’t wait to see it again .

yes it has its flaws, but it’s still pretty great. I don’t care to elaborate on why I feel that way. 

it was a ton of fun, good enough for me even if I thought it was an objectively bad or mediocre film, which I don’t. 

On 12/25/2021 at 6:37 AM, TupennyConan said:

I was unable to discern any of the characters in the sky.  

On 12/25/2021 at 6:44 AM, chrisco37 said:

^^  same.  I just thought it was a bunch of purple.  

Not that hard.

1565909331_colorblindnesstestT01.jpg.702513ec7f02a633733275673e2199e0.jpg

Black Cat

461530711_colorblindnesstestT02.jpg.f050aac77cb4f3682774507aca199206.jpg

Kraven

1306327997_colorblindnesstestT03.jpg.7201dc1d159dcd4366cf3cdd0e7f7a35.jpg

Rhino

whatthehelliswrong.gif.f11421eaa50dda44236461323ffe5649.gif

:baiting:

Strange is supposed to be the Sorcerer Supreme and it was a bit out of character for him to let this spell get so out of hand, especially at the end. So I’m wondering if things got so crazy for him to control due to the events that happened on the finale of Loki. Could these two events have coincided to help unleash the Multiverse?

On 12/23/2021 at 6:54 PM, D84 said:

I really hope they recast. Tom Holland has the personality of a table.

And he seems to gave less charisma in Uncharted, if the trailers accurately represent his performance. 

Don't see this at all. Tom Holland is perfect as a young Peter Parker. 

On 12/21/2021 at 10:45 PM, Broke as a Joke said:

I guess most people don't realize that Ned Leeds was never really the Hobgoblin except for one issue in which he was framed.  (ASM 289)

Yes, but generations of comic book fans have repeated enough over the last 35 years that Ned Leeds is the Hobgoblin, and thus he is.  And Mikey did choke to death on Pop Rocks.  lol

On 12/27/2021 at 1:55 PM, zosocane said:

Yes, but generations of comic book fans have repeated enough over the last 35 years that Ned Leeds is the Hobgoblin, and thus he is.  And Mikey did choke to death on Pop Rocks.  lol

And also, the retcon where Roderick Kingsley was Hobgoblin just sucks. Ned was clearly the originally intended Hobgoblin.