• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question on a Golden Age CGC Slabbed Comic I Just Bought
3 3

19 posts in this topic

So I bought a slabbed copy of Rangers 36 on ebay (picture attached), in 6.0 universal grade, and saw something I hadn't noticed in the photo in the listing, which is a a strange white streak down the bottom of the woman's left thigh. On the one hand the color makes it look like a tear in the cover, but on the other hand the way it follows the line of her thigh makes it look like...well, I'm not sure what it looks like. I looked at scans on Heritage.com of other copies of this issue and instead of the white streak they all have this bluish shadowing in that area (CGC old-style label, picture attached.) I'm not a member of CGC so I can't check the grader's notes for the book and paying $25 just to look at the notes for one book seems expensive, especially since I don't know if the notes would even be helpful. Could it be that the printer didn't pick up the bluish tone in that area and just didn't print the color correctly? I'm just really really hoping this isn't a tear. Can anyone alleviate my concerns here?

Rangers.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

On 12/17/2021 at 7:53 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Merry Christmas, graders notes:

20211217_195242.thumb.jpg.b0972d19472ebe6d9a34135226217acb.jpg

Thanks for the grader's notes! As I surmised, they didn't mention my issue, which I hope means that it isn't a full-on tear?

The book looks great to me anyway so I don't mind much, but it's still something I've never seen on a comic before.

On 12/17/2021 at 7:57 PM, Mark Warren said:

Thanks for the grader's notes! As I surmised, they didn't mention my issue, which I hope means that it isn't a full-on tear?

The book looks great to me anyway so I don't mind much, but it's still something I've never seen on a comic before.

Edited the post to add notes for the 6.0 copy too, fyi.

On 12/17/2021 at 7:59 PM, Fisionbomb said:

Edited the post to add notes for the 6.0 copy too, fyi.

Thanks. I was very disappointed for a second when I saw the word "tear" until I remembered the area I'm talking about isn't the left bottom of the front cover. I found the tear the grader mentioned and it's hardly noticeable; a jagged gray line that ends up looking like detail of the desert terrain. So that's good. Unfortunately I just found the tracing and it's on the "R" in "Rangers" and I don't love it. It looks like a tracing of someone's name, "Elaine Rosso". Better than actual writing at least, but I'm not one of those people who finds names on a book charming. Since the seller (all sellers, pretty much) doesn't allow returns on graded comics I'm going to have to reassess how I buy slabs on ebay. Should I ask for graders notes on all slabs? The tracing is only noticeable when you have the book in hand because, of course, there is no ink, just impressions left in the paper. And the pic the seller included was 800 x 1066, not tiny or anything. Maybe I should insist on very large, heritage-size scans on all slabs from now on.

On 12/17/2021 at 5:15 PM, Mark Warren said:

Thanks. I was very disappointed for a second when I saw the word "tear" until I remembered the area I'm talking about isn't the left bottom of the front cover. I found the tear the grader mentioned and it's hardly noticeable; a jagged gray line that ends up looking like detail of the desert terrain. So that's good. Unfortunately I just found the tracing and it's on the "R" in "Rangers" and I don't love it. It looks like a tracing of someone's name, "Elaine Rosso". Better than actual writing at least, but I'm not one of those people who finds names on a book charming. Since the seller (all sellers, pretty much) doesn't allow returns on graded comics I'm going to have to reassess how I buy slabs on ebay. Should I ask for graders notes on all slabs? The tracing is only noticeable when you have the book in hand because, of course, there is no ink, just impressions left in the paper. And the pic the seller included was 800 x 1066, not tiny or anything. Maybe I should insist on very large, heritage-size scans on all slabs from now on.

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with this book. I've had similar experiences with slabbed books that have defects that cannot easily be seen in their scans, so I've learned to ask sellers questions specific to defects that are deal breakers for me when possible.

For example, if I can't see the staples on a book I'll ask the seller if they have any rust on them because rusty staples are a deal breaker for me.

Asking about something like tracing on a slabbed book is tricky because it might be harder to see once the book is slabbed, but if it's a deal breaker for you it doesn't hurt to ask.

Just my 2c...hope it helps!

Edited by silverseeker
Minor tweak.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:28 PM, silverseeker said:

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience with this book. I've had similar experiences with slabbed books that have defects that cannot easily be seen in their scans, so I've learned to ask sellers questions specific to defects that are deal breakers for me when possible.

For example, if I can't see the staples on a book I'll ask the seller if they have any rust on them because rusty staples are a deal breaker for me.

Asking about something like tracing on a slabbed book is tricky because it might be harder to see once the book is slabbed, but if it's a deal breaker for you it doesn't hurt to ask.

Just my 2c...hope it helps!

Thanks. I don't know...part of me is (sort of, maybe, on a probationary basis, and perhaps I'm just rationalizing) starting to think Elaine Rosso's name on the book actually IS sort of charming. I'm picturing this little girl reading the book 74 years ago, unaware of the fact that a 53 year old dork will own the book 74 years later and encounter her name. In a way it's the best of both worlds when it comes to a name on a book: it's not in writing so it doesn't detract from the cover art; but the tracing is legible enough to actually read her name. But, probably, I'm just rationalizing. From now on I'll definitely ask specific questions about writing and tracing when I'm buying slabbed golden age books.

On 12/17/2021 at 8:15 PM, Mark Warren said:

Should I ask for graders notes on all slabs? The tracing is only noticeable when you have the book in hand because, of course, there is no ink, just impressions left in the paper. And the pic the seller included was 800 x 1066, not tiny or anything. Maybe I should insist on very large, heritage-size scans on all slabs from now on.

I feel you, but from a realistic perspective being an 800+ 100% positive feedback Ebay seller myself... You can absolutely ask for these things and not bid if you don't get them, but chances are you AREN'T going to get them. You ask me for graders notes, I'll politely tell you that graders notes are available to paid members. You ask me for large quality scans, I'll politely tell you I don't have a scanner. I'll answer any questions I reasonably can, but I'm not jumping through hoops. (Keep in mind I'm not a 10k book seller, if I were then it may be a different story) But on a $300 book like Rangers 36 where I'm eating $40+ in fees... sorry, taking multiple quality photos and making the detailed listing is already "too much" work.

Perspective though. Someone else may be totally willing to accommodate.

Also I'll note looking at your specific sale on Ebay, the seller did the bare minimum with photos and description.

On 12/17/2021 at 9:16 PM, Fisionbomb said:

I feel you, but from a realistic perspective being an 800+ 100% positive feedback Ebay seller myself... You can absolutely ask for these things and not bid if you don't get them, but chances are you AREN'T going to get them. You ask me for graders notes, I'll politely tell you that graders notes are available to paid members. You ask me for large quality scans, I'll politely tell you I don't have a scanner. I'll answer any questions I reasonably can, but I'm not jumping through hoops. (Keep in mind I'm not a 10k book seller, if I were then it may be a different story) But on a $300 book like Rangers 36 where I'm eating $40+ in fees... sorry, taking multiple quality photos and making the detailed listing is already "too much" work.

Perspective though. Someone else may be totally willing to accommodate.

Also I'll note looking at your specific sale on Ebay, the seller did the bare minimum with photos and description.

Yeah, I've just gotten back into comic collecting and especially with golden age I have a lot to learn. It honestly hadn't occurred to me that I could join CGC for grader's notes and then just look them up for every slabbed book I'm interested in on ebay. So I'll do that. Thanks for the advice!

On 12/17/2021 at 9:37 PM, Mark Warren said:

Yeah, I've just gotten back into comic collecting and especially with golden age I have a lot to learn. It honestly hadn't occurred to me that I could join CGC for grader's notes and then just look them up for every slabbed book I'm interested in on ebay. So I'll do that. Thanks for the advice!

Graders notes used to be available for every book for free. You just called up and asked. Then they switched to a "paid" version. The FREE AT LAST version just started again, I think a day or 2 ago.

I've seen lots of Fiction House books with those kinds of issues, the inks were not exactly always consistent. Lovely book!

Edited by skypinkblu

I don't see the conflict here.  You paid for a 6.0 comic, and that's what arrived.  You don't like the tracing, but that's part of what made it a 6.0 comic.  If the tracing wasn't there, the grade might have been higher and more costly. 

You apparently wanted a comic that didn't have the tracing, but otherwise looked exactly like this one, and cost the same as this one.  Now I see the conflict.  You want more than you paid for.  Who doesn't??

Edited by Lightning55

On 12/18/2021 at 4:42 AM, Lightning55 said:

I don't see the conflict here.  You paid for a 6.0 comic, and that's what arrived.  You don't like the tracing, but that's part of what made it a 6.0 comic.  If the tracing wasn't there, the grade might have been higher and more costly. 

You apparently wanted a comic that didn't have the tracing, but otherwise looked exactly like this one, and cost the same as this one.  Now I see the conflict.  You want more than you paid for.  Who doesn't??

Come on, man.

Actually I assumed there were cover creases that weren't clear in the picture, and I'm still learning about grading.

Edited by Mark Warren

It's a cool book.

I think that buying books in person is going to work best for you.

Maybe your distaste for the defects that are within grade but can only be seen in person is a blessing.  It is going to force you to adopt a more personal method of collecting if you want to be happy with most of your deals. 

The other choice is to keep buying online but you will eventually have some bad experiences... I'd get upset if I sold a graded 6.0 book like that and the buyer complained about those types of defects.

One of your concerns was in relation to the white line on the woman's leg.  That looks like an omission highlight on one of the color plates (red?) which wasn't aligned at the point of the print run that ran off THAT copy.  Would have affected several copies before and after (in the run) before the printer may have noticed it.  You may find the same thing with other copies, but you'll need to look at MANY copies of that book.

On 12/18/2021 at 4:36 PM, Yorick said:

One of your concerns was in relation to the white line on the woman's leg.  That looks like an omission highlight on one of the color plates (red?) which wasn't aligned at the point of the print run that ran off THAT copy.  Would have affected several copies before and after (in the run) before the printer may have noticed it.  You may find the same thing with other copies, but you'll need to look at MANY copies of that book.

Thanks for letting me know! That makes me feel better.

On 12/18/2021 at 2:57 PM, Turnando said:

It's a cool book.

I think that buying books in person is going to work best for you.

Maybe your distaste for the defects that are within grade but can only be seen in person is a blessing.  It is going to force you to adopt a more personal method of collecting if you want to be happy with most of your deals. 

The other choice is to keep buying online but you will eventually have some bad experiences... I'd get upset if I sold a graded 6.0 book like that and the buyer complained about those types of defects.

Yeah, I've made my peace with the book. I'm going to join CGC so I can get grader's notes on any slabbed book I'm looking at online from now on.