• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading "invisible" comics?
10 10

264 posts in this topic

I think my opinion is actually lower of the people who actually buy the book vs the ones who started it. If it’s really a bad idea then no one will buy one, end of story, but if these actually sell what’s that saying about the current people in this market?

Yes I get you can call out bad optics for CGC which it probably is but what about anyone who buys one? This could only be a purchase as a joke for someone but I wonder if it actually works and sells?

Edited by N e r V

On 1/8/2022 at 12:32 PM, N e r V said:

I think my opinion is actually lower of the people who actually buy the book vs the ones who started it. If it’s really a bad idea then no one will buy one, end of story, but if these actually sell what’s that saying about the current people in this market?

Yes I get you can call out bad optics for CGC which it probably is but what about anyone who buys one? This could only be a purchase as a joke for someone but I wonder if it actually works and sells?

A very good point - a gimmick with no demand will put an end to said gimmick.  

And I think it's fair to say that anyone shelling out their money for this particular gimmick didn't deserve to have that money to begin with.

On 1/8/2022 at 2:05 PM, mattn792 said:

A very good point - a gimmick with no demand will put an end to said gimmick.  

And I think it's fair to say that anyone shelling out their money for this particular gimmick didn't deserve to have that money to begin with.

Bad Idea Manufactured Collectible + CGC Registry Set [noun] Measuring Contest = A [noun] and Their [noun] Are Soon Parted

Edited by Troy Division

On 1/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, N e r V said:

I'm not too sure about that. Out of the thousands of people who read Bad Idea comics, I'm sure they can find 30 or 40 not too bright people who think they are getting some "rare collectible". Especially with all the press.

On 1/9/2022 at 11:48 AM, lostboys said:

I'm telling you...there are folks dug in like ticks at cgc trying to hurt the company.

Total conspiracy, man.

Has to be.

There's evil afoot.

If you hear hooves, think horses, not zebras. 

On 1/8/2022 at 5:43 PM, adampasz said:

If it is only the cover, shouldn't they all grade NG or Incomplete?

Or can we now submit covers only and get Blue Labels, if we claim the interiors are "invisible"?

Can we also submit grails missing covers as invisible covers? 🤔

On 1/8/2022 at 9:55 AM, shadroch said:
On 1/7/2022 at 5:06 PM, lou_fine said:

I very much highly doubt that the Blackstone Group is even much aware of the daily goings on with CGC, less alone its intricate business details.(shrug)

Especially since the company is valued at something approaching $150B while the enntire CCG deal was worth only a tiny miniscule fraction of that at only $500M, with the overwhelming majority of that value apparently coming from the coin side of the business. :gossip: 

I would think that there is a CGC desk at Blackstone that is in at least daily contact with a counterpoint at CGC. These guys don't lay out hundreds of millions to acquire companies and then sit back and wait for the company's quarterly reports. 

You really can't be serious here if you think the financial behemoth that is Blackstone is concerned one little iota about the daily ongoings that's taking place at the financial gnat that is CGC. :roflmao:

Although comic book collectors like you, me, and more in particular, the speculators and some of the boardies here may think that CGC is the end all and be all in the comic book marketplace, I don't believe for a second that the powers that be at Blackstone like the whale it is wouldn't have much bigger fish to fry than to worry about the fish that is CCG, let along the minnow that is CGC.  Especially when you consider the fact that the Blackstone Group did not pay $500M for CGC, but rather for the parent CCG corporation with its umbrella of 8 or 9 companies, of which CGC and CCS makes up only two of them.  Even more to the point, as @Timely himself has stated here in the past before, even the prior original ownership group at CCG barely gave a passing thought to CGC since the overwhelming business and personal interests that they had was much more with the coin side of their operations.  :gossip:

So, if the prior ownership group paid little attention to the small, but probably noticeable CGC slice of the overall CCG pie, I very much highly doubt that the Blackstone powers that be would pay much attention to the probably insignificant CGC portion of the barely noticeable CCG slice of the overall Blackstone pie.  After all, even if CGC accounted for $100M out of the $500M price tag which Blackstone had paid for the acquisition, this still amounts to a barely imperceptible 0.07 of 1% of the market cap value of $150B (i.e. Billion) for the Blackstone Group.  CGC is probably like the tiny little crumb that flaked off the other 99.93% remaining portion of the big Blackstone pie.  lol

Now personally speaking, if I was Blackstone, I would much rather be in daily contact with Reese Witherspoon herself every morning to check out how the acquisition of her Hello Sunshine production company for almost a full $1B (or pretty much double the value of the CCG acquisition) was doing. :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

On 1/10/2022 at 12:38 AM, lou_fine said:

You really can't be serious here if you think the financial behemoth that is Blackstone is concerned one little iota about the daily ongoings that's taking place at the financial gnat that is CGC. :roflmao:

Although comic book collectors like you, me, and more in particular, the speculators and some of the boardies here may think that CGC is the end all and be all in the comic book marketplace, I don't believe for a second that the powers that be at Blackstone like the whale it is wouldn't have much bigger fish to fry than to worry about the fish that is CCG, let along the minnow that is CGC.  Especially when you consider the fact that the Blackstone Group did not pay $500M for CGC, but rather for the parent CCG corporation with its umbrella of 8 or 9 companies, of which CGC and CCS makes up only two of them.  Even more to the point, as @Timely himself has stated here in the past before, even the prior original ownership group at CCG barely gave a passing thought to CGC since the overwhelming business and personal interests that they had was much more with the coin side of their operations.  :gossip:

So, if the prior ownership group paid little attention to the small, but probably noticeable CGC slice of the overall CCG pie, I very much highly doubt that the Blackstone powers that be would pay much attention to the probably insignificant CGC portion of the barely noticeable CCG slice of the overall Blackstone pie.  After all, even if CGC accounted for $100M out of the $500M price tag which Blackstone had paid for the acquisition, this still amounts to a barely imperceptible 0.07 of 1% of the market cap value of $150B (i.e. Billion) for the Blackstone Group.  CGC is probably like the tiny little crumb that flaked off the other 99.93% remaining portion of the big Blackstone pie.  lol

Now personally speaking, if I was Blackstone, I would much rather be in daily contact with Reese Witherspoon herself every morning to check out how the acquisition of her Hello Sunshine production company for almost a full $1B (or pretty much double the value of the CCG acquisition) was doing. :bigsmile:

You think that they laid out $500 million and just sit around, hoping their new employees do right by them?  

On 1/10/2022 at 9:59 AM, shadroch said:

You think that they laid out $500 million and just sit around, hoping their new employees do right by them?  

This.
Or find out that their new $500 million venture was giving 'gift grades' (which are now selling for $XXXX) that has called into question their integrity.

*AND* That their silence on the matter speaks volumes.

Edited by Troy Division

@CGC Mike Friendly ping that it's the start of a new week, and that I'd still very much like some details about this, because it still really looks like Bad Idea was allowed to buy specific grades for their gimmick book. Ideally, I'd like to see some assurance from CGC management that specific grades won't be for sale again in future, but if that seems to be off the table, I guess I'm interested in whether I can get in on the same offer if I self-publish something.

On 1/10/2022 at 6:53 AM, Crops068 said:
On 1/10/2022 at 12:38 AM, lou_fine said:

Now personally speaking, if I was Blackstone, I would much rather be in daily contact with Reese Witherspoon every morning

This was the most important part of that whole thing.  Because yes, yes I would. lol

Now, now, now............I am sure your better half would not want you having to perform the onerous task and suffering through the humuliation and sheer indiginity of having to tuck Reese into bed every night and also having to serve her breakfast in bed every morning.  :bigsmile:  :takeit: