• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, drotto said:

This is also being released by Disney, who have recently proven that doing everything to please the Chinese government and tailor a western made film to appeal to Chinese audiences can still flop majorly.  Mulan was made with every step and measure taken to please that audience.   It was made in China, using a traditional Chinese myth, using a primarily Chinese cast, and they took great lengths to keep it sensative to their beliefs.  The main actress is even an open supporter of how the Chinese handled Hong Kong.  Yet it flopped hard and pleased nobody.

Western companies are so far from figuring out how this market works.  It almost feels like movies made in the west do better when they do not try to please and represent the Chinese culture.  That may be why the MCU has done so well to this point.  The only thing they have done so far to appease them, with Dr Strange, ended up hurting the film. Now when they are trying more openly to cater to China, they may end up making the same mistakes as they did with Mulan.

Actually the first big venture into appeasing the China box office market was with Iron Man 3 partnering with a local marketing company. And work it did. But then the way the additional 4 minutes was inserted into the film bothered locals because it was clear the scene had just been thrown in as an afterthought. And how local product placement was a key purpose of the scene.

‘Iron Man 3’ China-Only Scenes Draw Mixed Response

As the houselights dimmed in cinemas across mainland China at around midnight on Tuesday, audiences attending the first wave of public screenings of Iron Man 3 fell silent with apprehension as a question appeared on screen: “What does Iron Man rely on to revitalize his energy?”

After a three-second blackout, three big Chinese characters appeared onscreen: “Gu Li Duo.”

The Marvel fanboys shouldn’t bother to rummage through their libraries to solve this riddle, because Gu Li Duo isn’t a a mystical power source in the original comic series — it’s a milk drink on sale for less than $1 a carton in convenience stores across mainland China.

Following the screening Chinese bloggers appeared as keen to discuss how exactly the Chinese-made concoction has made its way into what now seems to be the biggest blockbuster to hit Chinese cineplexes in 2013. Online reactions to the film have been largely positive, but bloggers appear united in their consternation of the deliberate product placement that sees new a character named Dr. Wu (played by mainland Chinese actor Wang Xueqi) consume a carton of Gu Li Duo.

Chinese bloggers had a mixed reaction to these Chinese components, which they believe are superfluous to the narrative. Referring to Stark being treated by a Chinese doctor in a mix of surgery and acupuncture, blogger Lilijia’s Xiao A-wan said — perhaps mockingly — that the film “has proved that Chinese medicine is still the best!”

19 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Actually the first big venture into appeasing the China box office market was with Iron Man 3 partnering with a local marketing company. And work it did. But then the way the additional 4 minutes was inserted into the film bothered locals because it was clear the scene had just been thrown in as an afterthought. And how local product placement was a key purpose of the scene.

‘Iron Man 3’ China-Only Scenes Draw Mixed Response

Overall though, it feels like the more companies try and specifically appease these markets,  the more they fail.

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

xD

I'm not the crazed fan sending death threats to actors, taking part in mass review bombs on RT, or camping out with pitchforks on the lawns of studio executives. But that is one crazy dude in this gif.

None of those people are here, you do not have to act like they are.  Just people with opinions that differ from yours.

32 minutes ago, drotto said:

None of those people are here, you do not have to act like they are.  Just people with opinions that differ from yours.

I didn’t directly say they were here and I don’t believe I’m acting like they are, either. I was however directly referring to crazy Snyder Cut fans and general trolls in the world who take their fandom so seriously that they cross lines of common human decency and who I did not say are here.

22 minutes ago, drotto said:

By continuously bringing up sexism, social issues and racial issues when you are making statements, rather than using other points to defend your arguments, you basically are. You also continuously bring up what has happened on other websites that have no connection or affiliation with this site or anyone on it. That is you trying to imply a connection to people here, and the arguments they are using to counter your statements. 

I don’t. You just think I do. And I never once implied that anyone here camped out on the lawns of studio executives. That’s you making connections in your own head. I actively defend the character here because folks pick on her here. It’s fine, it’s their right, and it’s my right to stick up for the character.

15 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I don’t. You just think I do. And I never once implied that anyone here camped out on the lawns of studio executives. That’s you making connections in your own head. I actively defend the character here because folks pick on her here. It’s fine, it’s their right, and it’s my right to stick up for the character.

OK...here's the bottom line in this whole thread...

If you have to keep defending either an actress's work in a particular movie for what now...40 pages?? don't you think that there just might be something to that?

Has there been any other performance trashed to the tune of 40 PAGES and counting?  Is this an all time record and counting?

31 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

And you do it again!!!  By removing the most ridiculous statement and saying nobody here would do that, you are leaving the door open that one of us may have done one of the other things.   It comes across as very intentional, I do not know how you do not see that.

13 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

OK...here's the bottom line in this whole thread...

If you have to keep defending either an actress's work in a particular movie for what now...40 pages?? don't you think that there just might be something to that?

Has there been any other performance trashed to the tune of 40 PAGES and counting?  Is this an all time record and counting?

I don’t have to. I kinda like posting about Captain Marvel, it’s fun to me believe it or not. I also like making brash statements and sometimes that starts a brief conversation or maybe someone posts an equally brash statement to which I reply and it goes back and forth and so on.  The more pages the better. It means the topic is interesting or at least generates interest. See how that works in a fan forum? 

Or should we all stop posting now?

3 minutes ago, drotto said:

And you do it again!!!  By removing the most ridiculous statement and saying nobody here would do that, you are leaving the door open that one of us may have done one of the other things.   It comes across as very intentional, I do not know how you do not see that.

You keep accusing me of something I could get banned from this board for. I don’t think you’re being very cool right now.

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I don’t have to. I kinda like posting about Captain Marvel, it’s fun to me believe it or not. I also like making brash statements and sometimes that starts a brief conversation or maybe someone posts an equally brash statement to which I reply and it goes back and forth and so on.  The more pages the better. It means the topic is interesting or at least generates interest. See how that works in a fan forum? 

Or should we all stop posting now?

doh!   :facepalm:

26 minutes ago, pemart1966 said:

doh!   :facepalm:

Gosh, is there any way I can be less of a bother to your existence (other than just don't read this thread if my posts bother you that much) so that you don't feel compelled to throw high temperature forehead emojis at me? Oh, I know, here's an oldie but goodie pic to get the conversation to a less trollish and better more constructive intellectual place...

1805651299_briebutt.jpeg.7f1ab31532ccbfe5232f865f12a53e4d.jpeg

7 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I didn’t directly say they were here and I don’t believe I’m acting like they are, either. I was however directly referring to crazy Snyder Cut fans and general trolls in the world who take their fandom so seriously that they cross lines of common human decency and who I did not say are here.

What do Snyder Fans have to do with you wanting to take on the world over real and assumed activities outside this forum toward Brie Larson or Captain Marvel?

One has to do with a studio excessively tampering with a director's vision while his daughter committed suicide. The other is a female actress that attributed white males as getting all the superhero attention. Bringing backlash from a portion of MCU fans. The shame is you don't recognize the difference between these scenarios. And assume anyone not as positive as you about a subject must sympathize with the worst of fandom.

Better to see the differences and realize some folks will not like what you do. Doesn't make them bad people.