• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

14 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I'm sure that brings her comfort

(:

I'm sure Brie appreciates her fans but I think she's disengaged from the social media hate. My support brings me more comfort than anything else, and I like to think maybe for other would be supporters as a little positivity against all the negativity.

905269304_thanosbalance.thumb.jpg.e29652fb02022ed001e103eea440b604.jpg

Edited by @therealsilvermane

7 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

I'm sure Brie appreciates her fans but I think she's disengaged from the social media hate. My support brings me more comfort than anything else, and I like to think maybe for other would be supporters as a little positivity against all the negativity.

905269304_thanosbalance.thumb.jpg.e29652fb02022ed001e103eea440b604.jpg

okay.gif.c3dd2a8432e5cf0d0d140987d1d23d15.gif

4 hours ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Ben Affleck circa 2016 also had a 65/35 chance that he was publicly drunk.

Which explains his comments about Feige.

12 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

Ben Affleck declared himself sober again in 2019 and has been sober since. A very lucid Ben Affleck called Kevin Feige "a genius" on a podcast in January of this year.

I think he even said during the interview "I've got Feige's six!"

It sounded so 'I wish I had served in the military but this is as close as I will ever come outside of playing Call Of Duty' like. Gave me chills!

:facepalm:

The Hollywood Reporter 100: The Most Powerful People in Entertainment 2019

Kevin Feige

gettyimages-1152248037-h_2019.jpg?w=800

President and Chief Creative Officer, Marvel Studios
Photo : Chris Delmas/AFP/Getty Images

It's Feige's cinematic universe, we just live in it. The most important Disney employee not named Iger and arguably the most successful film producer of all time, Feige began 2019 at the Oscars with the first superhero movie (Black Panther) to be nominated for best picture. The $1.1 billion launch of Marvel's first female-headlining movie, Captain Marvel, was a prelude to Avengers: Endgame, which with $2.8 billion overtook Avatar to become the biggest movie of all time. Feige, 46, was at the center of a studio fight over a sequel to yet another one of his 2019 billion-dollar babies, Spider-Man: Far From Home (the outcome: Marvel will complete the Sony trilogy). Now he's plotting the integration of Marvel properties acquired via the Fox acquisition and a trip to the Star Wars universe.

Just now, paperheart said:

The Hollywood Reporter 100: The Most Powerful People in Entertainment 2019

Kevin Feige

gettyimages-1152248037-h_2019.jpg?w=800

President and Chief Creative Officer, Marvel Studios
Photo : Chris Delmas/AFP/Getty Images

It's Feige's cinematic universe, we just live in it. The most important Disney employee not named Iger and arguably the most successful film producer of all time, Feige began 2019 at the Oscars with the first superhero movie (Black Panther) to be nominated for best picture. The $1.1 billion launch of Marvel's first female-headlining movie, Captain Marvel, was a prelude to Avengers: Endgame, which with $2.8 billion overtook Avatar to become the biggest movie of all time. Feige, 46, was at the center of a studio fight over a sequel to yet another one of his 2019 billion-dollar babies, Spider-Man: Far From Home (the outcome: Marvel will complete the Sony trilogy). Now he's plotting the integration of Marvel properties acquired via the Fox acquisition and a trip to the Star Wars universe.

Did you pull this from over your bed? (:

Just now, @therealsilvermane said:

And when you flip the camera around...

giphy.gif

I'm not the one pretending to gallantly defend an actress's honor along with all minorities and females throughout the world because of events on other sites.

okay.gif.98e2a483ac7c89593336ecf07235bb41.gif

9 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

IMG_1048.thumb.jpg.ad5514622bb655affeb59f41bb3f5881.jpg

IMG_1046.thumb.jpg.4085efc962c5895515987a6b33f346ea.jpg

Apologist?

MEN'S HEALTH: Kevin Feige Says He Regrets Whitewashing in Doctor Strange

Doctor Strange was generally well-received when it first premiered, but it was marred by one large controversy. Tilda Swinton was cast as the Ancient One, a character who is an Asian male in the comics. As it was only the latest instance in a series white-washing incidents within Hollywood at the time, it sparked intense public outcry. At the time, Derrickson and Feige defended the decision by explaining Swinton's casting was intended to avoid racist stereotypes that were often baked into older comics. This didn't do much to sway Doctor Strange's critics, but the movie continued as planned, and Swinton even reprised the role in Avengers: Endgame.

Now, Feige is looking back on the entire Doctor Strange incident and has some regrets. In a cover story with Men's Health about Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Marvel's first Asian-led film, Feige admits there could have been a far better way to avoid poor stereotypes than to cast a white woman in a role that could've gone to an Asian performer. "We thought we were being so smart, and so cutting-edge," Feige said. He continued:

“We’re not going to do the cliché of the wizened, old, wise Asian man. But it was a wake-up call to say, ‘Well, wait a minute, is there any other way to figure it out? Is there any other way to both not fall into the cliché and cast an Asian actor?’ And the answer to that, of course, is yes.”

Marvel has made more positive steps forward in terms of diversity since then, but Doctor Strange's case of white-washing remains a check against the studio.

(:

You folks really are in a cult. If only you were as successful as Feige.

4 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

Apologist?

MEN'S HEALTH: Kevin Feige Says He Regrets Whitewashing in Doctor Strange

(:

You folks really are in a cult. If only you were as successful as Feige.

It was still the right call to not make the Ancient One an old Asian man as that really is a tired stereotype but was the Western cultural perception of the old Chinese man in the 50's/60's. You're either an ancient Chinese secret kung fu master or you're Fu Manchu. I actually liked how Marvel Studios expanded the mystic side of Marvel as more than ancient Asia, but rather a multinational and also multiverse thing so that the casting of Tilda Swinton as someone more universal felt okay.

8 minutes ago, @therealsilvermane said:

It was still the right call to not make the Ancient One an old Asian man as that really is a tired stereotype but was the Western cultural perception of the old Chinese man in the 50's/60's. You're either an ancient Chinese secret kung fu master or you're Fu Manchu. I actually liked how Marvel Studios expanded the mystic side of Marvel as more than ancient Asia, but rather a multinational and also multiverse thing so that the casting of Tilda Swinton as someone more universal felt okay.

It was not the complete right answer as the writer even admitted back then a strong reason why they did it is so not to offend the Chinese market with a Tibetan character.

So like with Mulan where Disney thanked a local region known for prison camps this can be perceived as appeasing a entity for its box office versus 'enlightened individuals' expecting a Disney to call out atrocious activities. This could be seen as offensive to the people of Tibet.

Did you consider that in your enlightened meditations? It is quite troubling.

13 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

It was not the complete right answer as the writer even admitted back then a strong reason why they did it is so not to offend the Chinese market with a Tibetan character.

So like with Mulan where Disney thanked a local region known for prison camps this can be perceived as appeasing a entity for its box office versus 'enlightened individuals' expecting a Disney to call out atrocious activities. This could be seen as offensive to the people of Tibet.

Did you consider that in your enlightened meditations? It is quite troubling.

In the movie, Kamar Taj is in Kathmandu which is in Nepal, so the Ancient One could have been Nepalese, I don't know. I didn't look into interviews with the movie's writer, all I know is watching the movie, an Asian Ancient One could have come off as very stereotypical but whatever. It's not my favorite MCU film anyway. I didn't really really like Cumberbatch as Dr Strange until Infinity War. I think when Strange is taking on Thanos on Titan, that's when everybody else really became a fan, too.