• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 9/24/2022 at 5:57 AM, Bird said:

lots more people went to see DK during the week it seems than CM...nerds!

DKR was released in July, CM in March

On 9/24/2022 at 5:38 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Nah - paging @Jaydogrules - 'cuz haven't you heard?

Post-theatrical digital sales are just "ancillaries" :insane:

But in all seriousness - theatrical staying power matters a lot. It's indicative of word-of-mouth (positive or negative) and the reality is Captain Marvel had incredible legs - because people liked what they saw, and went to see it multiple times.

In fact, its legs were at least comparable to - if not better - than those of The Dark Knight Rises.

Dark Knight Rises
Opening Weekend: $160.9 million

Weekend 2: $62.1 million (-61.4%)

Weekend 3: $35.7 million (-42.5%)

Weekend 4: $19.0 million (-46.9%)

Weekend 5: $11.0 million (-42%)

Total after 5 weekends: $409.8 million

Captain Marvel

Opening Weekend: $153.4 million 

Weekend 2: $68.0 million (-55.7%)

Weekend 3: $34.3 million (-49.6%)

Weekend 4: $20.7 million (-39.7%)

Weekend 5: $12.4 million (-39.8%)

Total after 5 weekends: $373.9 million

Captain Marvel then went on to close this gap in domestic totals vs. The Dark Knight Rises from $35.9 million at the end of 5 weeks to just $21.3 million by the end of its run ($426.8 million vs. $448.1 million).

In other words, people liked it - and went back to see it with repeat viewings that would not have occurred if with either bad word-of-mouth or simply obligatory watches as an Endgame lead-in.

DKR made 2.78x opening weekend, CM made 2.78X opening weekend -pretty good #s

On 9/26/2022 at 4:21 AM, fastballspecial said:

Its made for the general audience. If only hard core comic fans saw it wouldn't make a profit. 

I am just happy seeing my heroes on the big screen. I spent decades as a kid hoping for it. 
Many need to remember that.

I know and if it was me making it, I would have sold out too and dumbed it down to pander to general audiences. But you almost make it sound like we need to accept and be grateful for whatever we get. I’ve been getting my heroes on the big screen since Superman in the late 70’s. Now we are drowning in them and I would rather have good stories.

Edited by ▫️

On 9/25/2022 at 10:39 PM, paperheart said:

DKR was released in July, CM in March

DKR made 2.78x opening weekend, CM made 2.78X opening weekend -pretty good #s

The Dark Knight Rises

Official Domestic Release Date: 7/20/2012

On July 20, 2012, during a midnight showing of The Dark Knight Rises at the Century 16 cinema in Aurora, Colorado, a gunman wearing a gas mask opened fire inside the theater, killing 12 people and injuring 58 others. Police responding to the shooting apprehended a suspect later identified as 24-year-old James Eagan Holmes shortly after arriving on the scene. Initial reports stated that Holmes identified himself as "the Joker" at the time of his arrest though this has been debunked.

Warner Bros. cancelled the Paris, Mexico, and Japan premieres of The Dark Knight Rises, and suspended the film's marketing campaign in Finland.  Several broadcast networks also suspended television ads for the film in the United States. The trailer for Gangster Squad, another Warner Bros. movie included in the screening of The Dark Knight Rises, was removed as it contains a scene which shows gangsters shooting submachine guns at moviegoers through the screen, similar to the shooting in Aurora.

Wow! All that and it still broke a billion?

Did we forget the impact such horrible events resulted in on TDKR? Including how the media initially released reports the killer calling himself 'The Joker' was because he was inspired by the previous movie (which was false).

On 9/26/2022 at 12:50 AM, ▫️ said:

I know and if it was me making it, I would have sold out too and dumbed it down to pander to general audiences. But you almost make it sound like we need to accept and be grateful for whatever we get. I’ve been getting my heroes on the big screen since Superman in the late 70’s. Now we are drowning in them and I would rather have good stories.

The tune changes when it isn't the MCU for some. Then, we have to apply a critical eyes.