• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2022 at 9:29 AM, drotto said:

Still love how we were constantly told in CM,  that Carol showing and giving into her emotions was her weakness, when she had the emotional range of wood. But then, she gained full power by showing her emotions, while still visibly not displaying any real emotions. Ummm, OK.

It only makes sense from a basic plotting standpoint. The inhibitor keeps her from scaling-up, and Yon-Rogg tells her that emotion will have the inhibitor contain her powers.

As you point out, the problem with defeating the Supreme Intelligence's inhibitor is that no emotion is conveyed when she removes it. So... Where's the logic?

Could be construed as a nitpick, but I think a plot device of that importance would be more well-thought out.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:07 AM, D84 said:

Actually, I thought they made Quill completely unlikable in the second one. He was the reason I don't rewatch that one.

I would argue that they made every Guardians character unlikable in Vol 2. Drax is a needless d_!_c_k to Mantis and Rocket is a Grade-A doosh (though it serves his character development). Gamora pushes Quill away, but she's really in a new world being around people who show that they care about her.

Regardless, the jokes are the only thing that are entertaining about Vol 2, for me. Everything else is very bad.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 9/13/2022 at 9:16 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I would argue that they made every Guardians character unlikable in Vol 2. Drax is a needless to Mantis and Rocket is a Grade-A doosh (though it serves his character development). Gamora pushes Quill away, but she's really in a new world being around people who show that they care about her.

Regardless, the jokes are the only thing that are entertaining about Vol 2, for me. Everything else is very bad.

Yeah, I think Baby Groot was the only likable one. I still watch clips of him on YouTube, but won't rewatch the movie. 

On 9/13/2022 at 8:25 AM, Bosco685 said:

Sorry - I just had this scene flash by

animal-house-bluto.gif.a2fb6fd695cabeac164966ef82b66b9b.gif

Now do Iron Man 3 and what a genius move the Mandarin twist turned out to be.

:baiting:

If you can't see why and how Iron Man 3 was far superior to the likes of:

• Iron Man 2
  • GOTG 2
  • Thor 2

etc. - I can't help you.

Oh - and did you get this butt-hurt when in Batman Begins Ra's al Ghul turned out to be an Irish dude?

On 9/13/2022 at 11:22 AM, Gatsby77 said:

If you can't see why and how Iron Man 3 was far superior to the likes of:

• Iron Man 2
  • GOTG 2
  • Thor 2

etc. - I can't help you.

Oh - and did you get this butt-hurt when in Batman Begins Ra's al Ghul turned out to be an Irish dude?

"butt-hurt"? I think you read into topics.

It was a poor representation of what could have been a fantastic character introduction. Which is why Marvel Studios afterwards released 'All Hail The King' as reassurance they heard the fans loud and clear. No matter the box office results.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:22 AM, Gatsby77 said:

I did. Don't get me wrong, I like Liam Neeson, but he's wrong for the role.

On 9/13/2022 at 12:53 PM, musicmeta said:

I liked the Captain Marvel movie quite a bit....I guess I'm the only one..lol... I figured since it made over a Billion Dollars at the Box Office somebody else out there liked her as well. hm

Lets remember they released it a month or two BEFORE Avengers Endgame and talked about her being important to that movie. A lot of people like myself didn't watch it for her but because it was going to be connected to Endgame.

...I figured since it made over a Billion Dollars at the Box Office somebody else out there liked her as well. hm

It was sandwiched between Infinity War and Endgame, of which the former had a post-credit scene where Nick Fury paged the title character. It was going to make $1 billion no matter what. 2c

I liked the Captain Marvel movie quite a bit....I guess I'm the only one..lol... I figured since it made over a Billion Dollars at the Box Office somebody else out there liked her as well. hm

I kid, so please don't think I mean any offense to you. It's just a common topic in these discussions.

Disney_Accounting.JPG.612668e565ce550c289a36ddcafaf896.JPG

:baiting:

:cheers:

On 9/13/2022 at 1:22 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

It was sandwiched between Infinity War and Endgame, of which the former had a post-credit scene where Nick Fury paged the title character. It was going to make $1 billion no matter what. 2c

Nah.

Domestically, it hit $426+ million. A full $35+ million more than Spider-Man: Far From Home.

No way it does those numbers unless folks liked it enough to see it multiple times.

And that argument falls apart when Ant-Man & the Wasp did less than $625 million worldwide - and yet had as much of a tie-in to Endgame as Captain Marvel.

On 9/13/2022 at 1:51 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Nah.

Domestically, it hit $426+ million. A full $35+ million more than Spider-Man: Far From Home.

No way it does those numbers unless folks liked it enough to see it multiple times.

And that argument falls apart when Ant-Man & the Wasp did less than $625 million worldwide - and yet had as much of a tie-in to Endgame as Captain Marvel.

You've said this BS before, and much like before, nothing has changed in the fact that neither Ant-Man nor The Wasp were paged by Nick Fury as a last-resort response to his "code red" call.

It was going to make $1 billion no matter what.

On 9/13/2022 at 1:54 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

You've said this BS before, and much like before, nothing has changed in the fact that neither Ant-Man nor The Wasp were paged by Nick Fury as a last-resort response to his "code red" call.

No.

You could say the same about Justice League Part 1 - that "it was going to make $1 billion no matter what."

And yet it didn't come close - because audiences f-----g hated it.

Clearly, not so with Captain Marvel.

On 9/13/2022 at 1:54 PM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse of Madness made a bunch of money. Yet we see the divided responses on here how the story seemed to miss key relevant point. Including how Wong was a chump, the all-powerful Illuminati fell apart like amateurs and Kamar-Taj bent to Wanda like those thousands of sorcerers were dependent on that one (1) individual.

MCU_BO_220913.thumb.JPG.b565d2913e96f14648538ebe6f4ec097.JPG

But it made a bunch of money. So that's where some can proclaim what a massive success it was for 'all fans'.

On 9/13/2022 at 2:20 PM, Gatsby77 said:

No.

You could say the same about Justice League Part 1 - that "it was going to make $1 billion no matter what."

And yet it didn't come close - because audiences f-----g hated it.

Clearly, not so with Captain Marvel.

Textbook false equivalence, dude. It's not even close to an accurate comparison. doh!

Considering that paging CM was the last thing Nick Fury did in Marvel's best movie guaranteed that it was going to make $1 billion. The only thing that could have changed this is if the trailers sucked, which they didn't.