• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 12/19/2022 at 4:37 PM, media_junkie said:

Easy pass.  Didn't like the first Captain Marvel movie, didn't even bother to watch the D+ Ms. Marvel.  This film has nothing I want to see.

On 12/19/2022 at 7:12 PM, Straw-Man said:

no interest whatsoever in this one.

What If the movie has awesome word of mouth, maybe like "Now THAT'S the Captain Marvel movie I was looking for!" and has important plot elements leading up to Avengers Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars. Do you still foresee it as an easy pass? Serious question.

On 12/20/2022 at 10:24 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

What If the movie has awesome word of mouth, maybe like "Now THAT'S the Captain Marvel movie I was looking for!" and has important plot elements leading up to Avengers Kang Dynasty and Secret Wars. Do you still foresee it as an easy pass? Serious question.

It won't have awesome word of mouth. That's my prediction. 

On 12/19/2022 at 7:50 PM, Cat said:

It won't have awesome word of mouth. That's my prediction. 

Word of mouth will not put my butt in a seat. Since Marvel screwed up both Black Widow & Falcon and The Winter Soldier, they are dead to me.

On 12/19/2022 at 5:24 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Yes. Captain Marvel was an average MCU film, not a must see event. This one looks the same or worse. As far as the Kang/Secret Wars future story arc, why pay theatre rates when it will be streaming as part of your D+ subscription well before that?

I think it’s good for an MCU movie to fail. I don’t necessarily care if it’s this movie that does it or not, but I’d rather it this movie than a film I genuinely want to see succeed. 

Marvel studios hasn’t seem a bomb before. 

A bomb course corrects.
John Carter, The Mummy, Green Lantern…

I definitely feel like the charm and the heart, and the true appreciation for success isn’t there anymore. 

There was a time when we were just happy for the Marvel movies that we got, because we all knew it could all derail in an instant. 

Iron Man? Are you kidding me? That movie is so good that it’s still the benchmark for tentpole movie filmmaking. 

Sure there were duds along the way but it further emphasized how difficult it is to make really good movies. Now that they’ve got the formula down, things are getting lazy. There’s less heart. 

It’s back to corporate money making and less on creative development. 

On 12/20/2022 at 8:01 AM, D2 said:

Marvel studios hasn’t seem a bomb before. 

It has. The Incredible Hulk bombed as hard as Hulk at the box office.

HULK_BO.thumb.PNG.cc18d447e70af6b09e0add2e1194ad84.PNG

Just in this case the executive leadership steering Marvel Studios (and at that time Marvel Entertainment leadership) had the strength of character to not shake their vision, believing in they would adjust and continue on.

That's what other studios need to acknowledge and emulate when they believe in a franchise (connected content or not). Not everything is going to land solidly. And that is okay.

Couldn't get through the CW Teen feel of Disney+'s Ms. Marvel and stopped after 2 or 3 eps.

On the other hand Captain Marvel (yes, the one with Brie "Don't Call Her Gorgonzola...She'll Flip The Eff Out!" Larson*) is one of my favorite MCU films from ANY phase. And I don't care WHO knows it!!! rantrant

*Brie Larson: Between Two Ferns with Zach Galifianakis  (see it on youtube)

Edited by PovertyRow

On 12/20/2022 at 7:44 PM, media_junkie said:

"The Marvels" isn't going to get close to the 1.1 Billion that Captain Marvel did.  This is going to be another Black Panther 2 where it is off $450 to $550 million from the first one.

likely.

On 12/20/2022 at 8:44 PM, media_junkie said:

"The Marvels" isn't going to get close to the 1.1 Billion that Captain Marvel did.  This is going to be another Black Panther 2 where it is off $450 to $550 million from the first one.

If China continues to lock out the MCU, probably won’t equal the first film’s box office.  However, The Marvels will be the last MCU film of 2023. Given that and fewer back to back MCU Disney+ shows, The Marvels will be the only game in town for a while. Plus, with Nia DaCosta directing, I’m guaranteeing it will at least be a good movie that will stand up to repeat viewings. The Marvels will make way more than $550 million box office, no matter how many weak Alita challenges you throw at it. 

Edited by @therealsilvermane