• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 4/12/2023 at 12:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

So you are implying Zack Snyder is not intelligent and therefore why you don't appreciate BVS? Gotcha.

I didn’t mean to call the guy unintelligent, it just came out. I redacted it. He’s smart enough to be a successful blockbuster filmmaker 

On 4/12/2023 at 12:20 PM, Bosco685 said:

So you are implying Zack Snyder is not intelligent and therefore why you don't appreciate BVS? Gotcha.

Here’s my deal with Zack Snyder and it has nothing to do with the DCEU, I thought BvS was fine ( though I don’t like MOS).

I really liked 300. I think he was the perfect filmmaker for it at the time. When I heard he was getting Watchmen, I got a little worried.  And when I saw the movie, I felt I had a right to be worried. Snyder turned one of the most intelligent artful comics stories ever created into a dumb action movie. Even though Alan Moore has always been against adaptations of his work, I always felt it could be done and I thought Snyder ruined that forever until I saw the HBO series.

On 4/12/2023 at 1:02 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Here’s my deal with Zack Snyder and it has nothing to do with the DCEU, I thought BvS was fine ( though I don’t like MOS).

I really liked 300. I think he was the perfect filmmaker for it at the time. When I heard he was getting Watchmen, I got a little worried.  And when I saw the movie, I felt I had a right to be worried. Snyder turned one of the most intelligent artful comics stories ever created into a dumb action movie. Even though Alan Moore has always been against adaptations of his work, I always felt it could be done and I thought Snyder ruined that forever until I saw the HBO series.

See? That's better. Personal opinion concerning the final creator delivery. More reasonable.

Have you actually ever even watched the Watchmen Director's Cut Immersive Maximum Mode feature, where throughout the movie Zack Snyder pops up and outlines what influenced how he shot a scene? Maybe not, as it sounds like you may have written him off based on the Theatrical Cut.

But ruining it forever - that seems extreme. But it is your opinion and experience.

Wrong thread, but as people are talking about it, I am always surprised when people complain about Watchmen being a poor adaptation of the source material.  

It's one thing to not like the story, I'm not going to argue about personal preferences in that regard.  But a poor adaptation?  Snyder was clearly trying to be as faithful to the source material as he possibly could with that movie.  The look was impeccable (baring Matthew Goode/Ozymandias casting, which I always felt wasn't quite right).  And considering the amount of story he had to tell, it was impressive just how much of it he got in there.  

On topic:  Brie Larson is hot.  This is not debatable.  

On 4/12/2023 at 2:00 PM, Axelrod said:

Wrong thread, but as people are talking about it, I am always surprised when people complain about Watchmen being a poor adaptation of the source material.  

It's one thing to not like the story, I'm not going to argue about personal preferences in that regard.  But a poor adaptation?  Snyder was clearly trying to be as faithful to the source material as he possibly could with that movie.  The look was impeccable (baring Matthew Goode/Ozymandias casting, which I always felt wasn't quite right).  And considering the amount of story he had to tell, it was impressive just how much of it he got in there.  

I acknowledge Dave Gibbons gave the movie a thumbs up, and that it looked like Watchmen and followed the comic book’s plot. However for me, it missed for me the most important aspect of the work, that besides being a dark reflection of 20th century American history, that this comic book was also a metaphor…of the comic book. Watchmen was a serious parody. Owlman and Ozymandius were Batman and Superman. For me, a proper Watchmen movie or show should somehow capture that. For me, Snyder’s movie didn’t do that. But I think the HBO series did, as it focuses on race relations in America’s past and present and also exists as a dark reflection of the dominant comic book movie culture of the 2010’s. So the HBO series is my cinematic Watchmen.

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/12/2023 at 12:59 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Watchmen was a serious parody. Owlman and Ozymandius were Batman and Superman. 

Interesting take.  I never saw it as parody.  I saw it as deconstruction and critical commentary on superhero comics.

I thought it was very established that Watchmen was based on Charlton hero -  Owlman was intended to be Blue Beetle, Rorsach = the Question, Dr. Manhattan = Dr. Solar, Ozymandia = Thunderbolt,  etc.  

On 4/12/2023 at 8:57 PM, sfcityduck said:

Interesting take.  I never saw it as parody.  I saw it as deconstruction and critical commentary on superhero comics.

I thought it was very established that Watchmen was based on Charlton hero -  Owlman was intended to be Blue Beetle, Rorsach = the Question, Dr. Manhattan = Dr. Solar, Ozymandia = Thunderbolt,  etc.  

Did I say Owlman? I meant Nite Owl. No, the modern Nite Owl is a parody of Batman. Ozymandius is a parody of Superman, even has his own parody Fortress of Solitude. Kinda like what if Superman had no morals?

When I say “parody “ that could also be a deconstruction and critical commentary of comics.

On 4/12/2023 at 6:23 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

Did I say Owlman? I meant Nite Owl. No, the modern Nite Owl is a parody of Batman. Ozymandius is a parody of Superman, even has his own parody Fortress of Solitude. Kinda like what if Superman had no morals?

When I say “parody “ that could also be a deconstruction and critical commentary of comics.

Owlman/Nite Owl - I knew what you were saying.  

The original treatment of Watchmen written by Moore used the actual Charlton characters.  Giordano made him change it.  Moore went with it because he felt it gave him a little more artistic license.  But the characters are all clearly the Charlton heroes.  

Here's a description of Charlton's Thunderbolt and it is clearly Ozymandias:

Peter Cannon, orphaned son of an American medical team, was raised in a Himalayan lamasery, where his parents had sacrificed their lives combating the dreaded Black Plague! After attaining the highest degree of mental and physical perfection, he was entrusted with the knowledge of the ancient scrolls that bore the secret writings of past generations of wise men! From them he learned concentration, mind over matter, the art of activating and then harnessing the unused portions of the brain, that made seemingly fantastic feats possible! Then he returned to America with his faithful friend, Tabu, and sought out a new life, in a new land.

I get the Fortress of Solitude reference, and I suspect that is some of the additional artistic license that made Moore accept not using the original Charlton heroes (remember he'd already done Miracleman/Marvelman) but I don't think you are using the term "parody" correctly.  Mad does parody.  This is a parody:

ERBzine 6221: Wood's Prince Valiant

Edited by sfcityduck

On 4/12/2023 at 12:00 PM, Axelrod said:

sorry about the Watchmen post in the wrong thread.

I agree that Brie is hot, in particular as Envy Adams in Scott Pilgrim.

On 4/12/2023 at 3:59 PM, @therealsilvermane said:

I acknowledge Dave Gibbons gave the movie a thumbs up, and that it looked like Watchmen and followed the comic book’s plot. However for me, it missed for me the most important aspect of the work, that besides being a dark reflection of 20th century American history, that this comic book was also a metaphor…of the comic book. Watchmen was a serious parody. Owlman and Ozymandius were Batman and Superman. For me, a proper Watchmen movie or show should somehow capture that. For me, Snyder’s movie didn’t do that. But I think the HBO series did, as it focuses on race relations in America’s past and present and also exists as a dark reflection of the dominant comic book movie culture of the 2010’s. So the HBO series is my cinematic Watchmen.

That is a fairly esoteric criticism, but you do you there I guess.  I also loved the Watchmen TV show, but it really was it's own thing.  I in no way felt like it somehow was more "Watchmen" than the film adaptation.  

On 4/12/2023 at 9:37 PM, sfcityduck said:

Owlman/Nite Owl - I knew what you were saying.  

The original treatment of Watchmen written by Moore used the actual Charlton characters.  Giordano made him change it.  Moore went with it because he felt it gave him a little more artistic license.  But the characters are all clearly the Charlton heroes.  

Here's a description of Charlton's Thunderbolt and it is clearly Ozymandias:

Peter Cannon, orphaned son of an American medical team, was raised in a Himalayan lamasery, where his parents had sacrificed their lives combating the dreaded Black Plague! After attaining the highest degree of mental and physical perfection, he was entrusted with the knowledge of the ancient scrolls that bore the secret writings of past generations of wise men! From them he learned concentration, mind over matter, the art of activating and then harnessing the unused portions of the brain, that made seemingly fantastic feats possible! Then he returned to America with his faithful friend, Tabu, and sought out a new life, in a new land.

I get the Forest of Solitude reference, and I suspect that is some of the additional artistic license that made Moore accept not using the original Charlton heroes (remember he'd already done Miracleman/Marvelman) but I don't think you are using the term "parody" correctly.  Mad does parody.  This is a parody:

ERBzine 6221: Wood's Prince Valiant

Satire then? I see Watchmen as an amalgam of things: satire, parody, artistic commentary, literature, entertainment. One thing it’s not is a superhero adventure for adventure’s sake.

I’m not that familiar with Watchmen’s precise origins, so it seems you’re right that some Charlton heroes were a starting point. After quick research, the Minutemen Nite Owl is based on Blue Beetle and the Watchmen Nite Owl is based on Batman. While Ozymandias may have started from Thunderbolt, I say he creatively evolved to be this world’s version of Superman, but from a Friedrich Nietzche sense, an Ubermensch. That’s how he’s always been to me anyway.

Its been a few many years since I’ve read Watchmen. .I should pick it up again.

On 4/12/2023 at 7:48 PM, Artboy99 said:

sorry about the Watchmen post in the wrong thread.

I agree that Brie is hot, in particular as Envy Adams in Scott Pilgrim.

I like that Black Sheep cover (Metric - Canadian Band) that she plays. I’ve never watched the movie just the You Tube clip from the concert scene.