• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 4/13/2023 at 10:06 PM, Cat said:

So we're just going to throw out all criticism because some of it is disengenuous? Alrighty then. 

If you want a nuanced discussion. Call a friend, go out to a movie and then for coffee after and talk about it. Don't look for it on the internet.

Just saying.

Not directed at you personally of course.

Edited by Mr Sneeze

On 4/14/2023 at 12:14 PM, Mr Sneeze said:

If you want a nuanced discussion. Call a friend, go out to a movie and then for coffee after and talk about it. Don't look for it in the internet.

Just saying.

Not directed at you personally of course.

But..... you are my friend...... 

On 4/13/2023 at 4:53 AM, Bosco685 said:

If you think the Watchmen comic book characters were a parody or satire of traditional DC characters, then I wonder if you ever understood Alan Moore's story to begin with. And I know where you referenced 'satire' from - Wikipedia. As I read that there a while back, and was surprised it contained that description.

Like was noted earlier, it was using interpretations of similar characters to deconstruct the common traits and lore of comic book stories by forcing the leads into real-world scenarios. Including how their secret identities and powers would disrupt and destroy their attempts to have relationships like 'normals'.

If you get the chance, go to your local library and check out a copy of the paperback. You may like it once you read the story. Wiki does it a disservice. 

From an interview with Alan Moore about his new graphic novel “Brought To Light”:

I think that Brought to Light was the most successful satire that I’ve ever done. Satire in the old sense, satire in the sense of doing a grotesque and unflattering portrait of somebody that is nevertheless true, that even they can’t disagree with it.

On 4/14/2023 at 9:45 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

From an interview with Alan Moore about his new graphic novel “Brought To Light”:

I think that Brought to Light was the most successful satire that I’ve ever done. Satire in the old sense, satire in the sense of doing a grotesque and unflattering portrait of somebody that is nevertheless true, that even they can’t disagree with it.

'Brought To Light' is a separate work from 'Watchmen'.

But nice try in shoehorning in Alan Moore as your "I'm right" attempt.

A crossword clue does not make Watchmen a satire on superheroes. There are (a lot of) satirical aspects in how some of the characters are portrayed, but Watchmen is a magnum opus of social commentary encompassing nearly every aspect of the Post World War II Era. It is brilliant literature that just happens to have been presented in graphic form.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:18 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

From the daily crossword:

076C6A8F-203F-47D6-9801-CB0FF6082B8E.thumb.jpeg.9fd6666395bb812b7c8af3b294c662f4.jpeg

Since crossword writers are now authorities?

Definition of satire the use of humor, irony, exaggeration, or ridicule to expose and criticize people's stupidity or vices, particularly in the context of contemporary politics and other topical issues.

Watchman was a deconstruction of traditional comics using characters based on well established archetypes. It had a well defined objective. Traditionally satire relies on humor, Watchman does not fit the definition. 

On 4/14/2023 at 10:18 AM, @therealsilvermane said:

From the daily crossword:

076C6A8F-203F-47D6-9801-CB0FF6082B8E.thumb.jpeg.9fd6666395bb812b7c8af3b294c662f4.jpeg

Thank goodness you provided such a defensible reference point. If not for this (short of a Dear Abby advice column) I think we would have been between a rock and a feather duster.

Tough research times indeed.

On 4/14/2023 at 10:38 AM, drotto said:

Traditionally satire relies on humor, Watchman does not fit the definition. 

But Watchmen does fit Alan Moore’s own use of the term as in “Satire in the old sense, satire in the sense of doing a grotesque and unflattering portrait of somebody that is nevertheless true, that even they can’t disagree with it.”

Watchmen is a grotesque and unflattering portrait of superheroes and the comic book storytelling format.

On 4/14/2023 at 1:27 PM, Bosco685 said:

It is interesting the only time fans of this part of the franchise go bonkers is when negative reactions are noted - positives and over-hyping a trailer through mass likes are considered acceptable.

You're saying that the people RESPONDING to the people who are being negative, are the ones going bonkers? NOT the people who make up movie reviews and hate a movie before they've even seen it, to the point of posting so many multiple copy and past hateful missives that it drowns out the good?