• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE MARVELS starring Brie Larson, Iman Vellani and Teyonna Parris (2023)
9 9

3,126 posts in this topic

On 11/7/2023 at 12:12 PM, Bosco685 said:

Marvel Studios says it changes everything

Does that mean they’ve stopped producing rubbish?

One can hope.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 11/5/2023 at 6:09 AM, Bosco685 said:

Reaction myopia would convince someone of that mindset. Meanwhile:

• Twilight franchise (Bella Swan) $3.4 billion
  • Hunger Games franchise (Katniss Everdeen) $2.97 billion
  • Aliens franchise (Ellen Ripley) $1.4 billion
  • Resident Evil franchise (Alice) $1.2 billion
  • Scream franchise (Sidney Prescott) $900 million
  • Halloween franchise (Laurie Strode) $885 million
  • Underworld franchise (Selene) $540 million
  • Dragon Tattoo franchise (Lisbeth Slander) $267 million

If a film series comes together in a way target audiences relate to, they show up.

Not to mention Sound of Music, Gone With the Wind, Mary Poppins, or numerous other classic films. Who can forget "Garbo Talks!"

On 11/3/2023 at 10:35 AM, The humble Watcher lurking said:

It's pretty simple: when Perlmutter left, Disney took over, it went PC, and the movies were much less entertaining as a result. Even when they were mostly entertaining, like Multiverse of Madness, the PC moments intruded, making it difficult to enjoy the movie. Actually, the two worst moments I remember that fit that description both involved Captain Marvel in Endgame. The first was when she grabbed Thor's hammer like a saucy wench and he said, "I like this one." The other was at the end where CM single-handedly proved that the rest of the cast was unnecessary because she could defeat Thanos on her own. It was as if the filmmakers weren't sure the audience would like CM, so they had Thor tell us we were supposed to like her. That totally took me out of the film. After a half hour or so, I was enjoying the movie again, but then CM came back and wrecked it.

Edited by paqart

On 11/7/2023 at 5:18 PM, paperheart said:

Good. This stuff needs to go.

On 11/8/2023 at 2:34 PM, paqart said:

It's pretty simple: when Perlmutter left, Disney took over, it went PC, and the movies were much less entertaining as a result. Even when they were mostly entertaining, like Multiverse of Madness, the PC moments intruded, making it difficult to enjoy the movie. Actually, the two worst moments I remember that fit that description both involved Captain Marvel in Endgame. The first was when she grabbed Thor's hammer like a saucy wench and he said, "I like this one." The other was at the end where CM single-handedly proved that the rest of the cast was unnecessary because she could defeat Thanos on her own. It was as if the filmmakers weren't sure the audience would like CM, so they had Thor tell us we were supposed to like her. That totally took me out of the film. After a half hour or so, I was enjoying the movie again, but then CM came back and wrecked it.

What you've described isn't being "PC" though. 

On 11/8/2023 at 4:47 PM, VintageComics said:

Good. This stuff needs to go.

What 'stuff'?